5.11 pants?

5.11 pants?

This is a discussion on 5.11 pants? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Huston we have a problem. I have worn Cabela's trailhiker pants for years. It seams that they now have a new and improved model called ...

Thread: 5.11 pants?

5.11 pants?

Huston we have a problem. I have worn Cabela's trailhiker pants for years. It seams that they now have a new and improved model called the trail hiker II. This is all well and good but the trailer hiker II will not fit me so I am looking for a new pant. My biggest problem is my size, you see i'm 6' 10" and around 350 pounds which means I have a 46" waist and at least a 36" inseam if not a 38" depending on the pant.

How are the 5.11's? I don't want to look like a wacko or stand out any more then I already do wearing tactical gear all over town, so how tactical do the 5.11's look? Man I am going to miss the knife pocket on the trail hikes as well as the unhemmed length.

Wheres a good place to purchase?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys.

I'm no where near your size but I love the 5.11 pants. i have two pair of the originals as well as a pair of the taclite pro pants.

I'd say they look no different than cargo pants to most people.. no one would think your wearing tac gear :)

These pants are super comfy and they are built like a tank. Plenty of pockets as well as a mag/cell phone pocket.

I bought mine from LA Police gear... they seem to have the best prices on them as well as promotions like free shipping when you buy two pairs.. and free return shipping if they don't fit

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I've got a pair of Khaki 5.11 pants. The "Casual Covert" that I also got from LA Police gear. I can actually wear them to work and no one is any the wiser on what I may (or may not) be carrying with me.

Covert Khaki Pants | Casual Pants | 5.11 Tactical
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I love the 5.11s. I have some of both the regular cotton cargoes and their lightweight blends. Nothing unusual in appearance. Just like regular cargo pants. The slim pocket for an extra mag is really nice.

I've also gotten some from LA Police Gear. They have excellent prices, and usually some promotional freebies that can make it an even better deal.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

3 pairs and they are some of my favorite pants
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

I don't have the pants, but I do have about 10 pair of the 5.11 shorts (same style, just cut off, FL ya' know)...I live in them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 for 5.11 gear.
    Have a few pair of their pants (inc. a pair of 'covert' jeans) one of their instructor belts, and one of their patrol jackets.

That said; everyone has a different fit and comfort standard, and ya just gotta try 'em out. Other than personal fit; Excellent stuff.

I should try some of the shorts! Thanks RetSupt!
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've got 2 pair of "regular" 5.11 pants, 3 pair of the HRT pants, and a couple pair of the Woolrich Elite pants. I like them all, but the HRT pants are DEFINITELY conspicuous, with the armored knees and all. The others, depending on the color, don't stand out much (to my eye) compared to the plethora of cargo and painters pants out there - but then again I don't really care what people think of my pants.

jfl
    Got a pair of 5.11 from LAGear; they would be OK if ........... they were not made in f....g Viet-Nam.

Buy American !!!!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I looked at the 5.11, but bought the Tru-Spec 24/7s. They are my absolute favorite long pants in the winter. They have the same style in shorts that I wear all summer. Good stuff.
    The 2nd Amendment is my gun permit.
    Issue Date: Dec. 15, 1791
    Expiration Date: NEVER

Administrator
    For 5.11 Try giving Atlantic Tactical a call. Real nice folks. Honest company. Credit Card by phone OK ~ I never had any problems. Shipping is pretty quick. They will spend some time with you on the phone and let you know if your items (in your size) are "in stock" before you give them any credit card info.
    Toll Free number. I'll get you the link.
    I have purchased stuff from them 6 or 7 times at least.

OK - Here ya go.
    http://www.atlantictactical.com/index.asp?url=IND

On the left hand side of the page.

Click on UNIFORMS - BOOTS - GLOVES

On the next page Click on Trousers.

The Covert style they are running on sale for $29.95 right now...they do not have in your size but, the other styles of pants they do.

Administrator

Also Check Out

Rogue Elite.

Jamie is a forum member here and a DC forum sponsor.
    They have your size in various pant styles.
    Once you buy your first pair of pants with whole bunches of pockets...you're hooked for life.

Their clothes are great also.
    I am wearing a pair of their shorts right now.

RogueElite.net - Elite Tactical and Conceal Carry Apparel, Gear and Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Once you buy your first pair of pants with whole bunches of pockets...you're hooked for life.
    I hear ya there. The trail hiker paints have cargo pockets and a knife pocket. I like them a lot although the stitching has been week as of late.

I ordered 3 pair of the 5.11 from LA gear so I will give them a try.

Thanks for the other ideas.

Having won the 5.11 anniversary contest, I have several. Great pants, but a little too tacticool for me to wear about town. I only wear them when teaching on the range.

I have found that they run small for me, so I buy mine with a +1 waist and length.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Huston we have a problem. I have worn Cabela's trailhiker pants for years. It seams that they now have a new and improved model called the trail hiker II. This is all well and good but the trailer hiker II will not fit me so I am looking for a new pant. My biggest problem is my size, you see i'm 6' 10" and around 350 pounds which means I have a 46" waist and at least a 36" inseam if not a 38" depending on the pant.

How are the 5.11's? I don't want to look like a wacko or stand out any more then I already do wearing tactical gear all over town, so how tactical do the 5.11's look? Man I am going to miss the knife pocket on the trail hikes as well as the unhemmed length.

Wheres a good place to purchase?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys.
    I haven't tried the 5.11 pants but Blackhawk Warrior Wear and the Tru-Spec 24/7 are also options. I have just purchased a couple of these in the past few weeks and haven't quite decided which ones I like best. They are very similar to each other however there are a few features I like about each of these that don't exist on the other pant. My primary reason for getting these is that I don't care for the bunched up elastic on the sides of the 5.11. I will probably try some 5.11's eventually just to compare. I purchased from US Cavalry and I believe they have all three brands. They also have videos on the features of the various pants (also can be seen on youtube). I highly recommend looking at the videos before making your choice.

Good luck,

Sponsored Links