Multi-Tool/Flashlight suggestions?

This is a discussion on Multi-Tool/Flashlight suggestions? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to carry a Victorinox Swisstool until the sheath finally wore out. Still have the tool, but its too heavy to toss in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Tool/Flashlight suggestions?

Multi-Tool/Flashlight suggestions?

I used to carry a Victorinox Swisstool until the sheath finally wore out. Still have the tool, but its too heavy to toss in a pocket. Now it just sits in the kitchen junk drawer. Back in my military days I had a beltpouch from Nite-Ize that held a multitool, flashlight, a couple of allen wrenches, a couple pens, and a pocketknife. Ok so it weighed a couple pounds but what the hell, I was prepared for damn near anything.

Now I am looking to get a new multi tool and flashlight for everyday carry. I am considering a Leatherman Charge XTI for a new toy. Then when I started reading up on flashlights...ok I am behind the power curve now. Flashlights have become a LOT more complicated since last time I went shopping.

So, what can you all reccomend for a basic entry level flashlight. I don't think I need one of the new 'Tactical' gizmos that does everything but paint my house, I just want a flashlight. You know...to see things when there isn't enough light, not to blind and confuse assailants.

I used to have one of the ever popular mini-mag lights. Could not stand the dang thing. I would accidently twist it on almost every time I put it away and went through four changes of batteries in a week.

Finally, I would like a basic leather sheath that would fit both multi-tool and flashlight. Custom would be good but I don't want to wait for months to get on the right waiting list.

What do you all carry for this type of stuff? Can anyone reccomend a decent sheath maker? Is there still such a thing as a non-tactical flashlight?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I carry an E1e Surefire but - the newish ''Fenix'' I think it is (search for a thread on that recently) - seems very useful, taking a single AA and being IIRC around $37.

I carry a Leatherman Wave and find that serves very well indeed - the pouch supplied is good and does not seem to show much wear. I'd buy any Leatherman multi - but a lot of folks like Gerber too. I wouldn't say any lights are ''tactical'' per se even tho they are often given that label - most in that league I reckon are the very high output deals using 123 Lithium batteries.

I think a combination sheath/holster might need to be custom made.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I have a Gerber multitool. Not a real expensive one, just a basic one I bought at WalMart one day. For a flashlight I use a Surefire E2E and love it. You would be surprised how much you will use a small flashlight when you have one around. I used mine today while I was re-arranging PCs around my home office and installing a new printer. After about 6 months, the batteries finally started to deplete. There are really a lot of great flashlights out there today, but I sure like the Surefire. Can't say about leather sheaths, but Chris is probably right about custom work....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I also carry a Leatherman Wave. I found it less bulky than the Charge, and there really isn't a weight savings from the Titanium panels since they are basically attached to the same frame.

For a lights I have a Nuwai Q3, and a Surefire G2, but recently I've been carrying a River Rock 2AAA led that I picked up at Target for something like $8. It's not nearly as bright as the other 2, but it fits in the pouch on the side of the Leatherman sheath, so it really doesn't add anything to the belt. It's bright enough for daily utility use and has a long battery life, but it isn't something that one would call tactical.

Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

+1 0n the gerber multi tool, I also carry a surefire 6p oldies but goodies.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

PJH
    I just bought a Streamlight Scorpion I've been carrying for about a week. So far, it's great. VERY Bright.

I went into Bass Pro with every intention of buying a Surefire E2e or E2d and , amazingly, the sales guy talked me out of the $100(+/-) Surefire and into the $30 Streamlight. I've always loved the Bass Pro "experience" (read: kid in candy store), but I think their prices are a little high on some items; however on my last few purchases there, I have been happily impressed by the knowledge and service of the sales staff. I wll definately be a repeat customer.

-Paul

I've used a variety of multi tools over the years, but I don't have any particular favorites. The basic Gerbers have always done me right, and I've got them stashed around the house, truck, and boat. Also the basic Leatherman, which is a nice sized package. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these lines of tools, as well as the Swiss Army, Schrade, etc. Don't get a generic one, but anything in the $35-50 dollar range should be pretty decent.

As for lights, I have probably 6 mini mags, one with the LED head. Spread again throughout the house, truck, and boat. For tactical lights, I really love Sure Fire. I've had an original 6Z for almost 10 years, and she just keeps on ticking. The lithium 3A batteries are a little steep, but you can find deals occasionally. Also a small Gerber LED model that takes 1xAA, which is nice when you don't need a blinding light. Lasts for 100 hours on one battery, and has a pocket clip that I reverse and use on the brim of a ball cap for night fishing. Again, go with a reputable company and you should be fine. A lot of other folks on here can give you better advice, as they've invested in a lot of lights!

For a holder, I'm thinking about a tac light / single mag holder combo. If you test fit a few in the store, you should be able to find one that will fit your multi tool securely. I just need to decide on a dedicated tool before I buy the holder.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

I'd go and get another sheath for the Swisstool. There are some heavey duty nylon ones out there if you look around.

Now if you want a new one go with SOG and look at what they have to offer. I've got a couple of Powerlock ones I pickedup at Wally World on close out. I really like the safety lock system and blade/tool covers.

For flashlights I like the Nite-Eyz LED Mini-Maglite conversion as well as the Brinkmann tactical type light sold at Wally World. They work what more can I say.

Assistant Administrator
    For flashlights I like the Nite-Eyz LED Mini-Maglite conversion
    +1 on that Ed - I couldn't get one here so LPGuy here kindly picked me one up and mailed it - I even treated myself to a new Mini Mag as old one pretty tacky - makes a great combination, somewhat under-rated I reckon.

Tho a Surefire it ain't but hey - it's still darned good.
    Chris - P95

The Wave, and a Surefire G2Z or E2e.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    if you want rid of that Vic, email me, I'd like a 2nd one...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Tools & lights

My EDC is a Leatherman Wave (new model) in its nylon sheath. The sheath also holds two panels of extra bits. I also carry a Surefire e2e.

I used to carry a Leatherman PST in its issue leather pouch. Good tool, but I prefer the locking features on the Wave.

I also have a Wave leather sheath. I like to wear it horizontally on my belt over the first belt loop to the right of center (call it 1 o'clock). It makes a great magazine pouch for my Kimber Ultra Carry. I can carry a spare magazine, easily accessable, in plain sight. I've carried both blued and stainless magazines in this pouch without a second glance from anyone.

I'm seriously considering an OWB pouch for a single magazine and the Surefire, worn on my weak side.

YMMV.

Bill
    Last edited by badgerw; April 6th, 2006 at 09:37 PM.

Question

I can't find out (via other sources) whether the pliers on the Wave are spring loaded? You Wave owners wanna educate me?

Assistant Administrator
    Not spring loaded Richard - but actually very easy to manipulate.

I keep the far handle between ring finger and middle finger for fine control - and I doubt a spring assist would be any great advantage.
    Chris - P95

Thanks for the quick info, Chris!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links