Gun Safe

This is a discussion on Gun Safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to buy a gun safe for my small collection of firearms. I don't want to spend a butt load of cash, but at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safe

Gun Safe

I need to buy a gun safe for my small collection of firearms. I don't want to spend a butt load of cash, but at the same time I don't want something cheap. I want something that won't be easy to break into and has decent fire protection. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Spend the good money.

You can try Costco. Some times they have gun safes at good prices. Also, Bass Pro Shop runs some good sales.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Look for a good used safe.

I picked up a six thousand pound Amsec safe from a bank that was closing down. Set me back $450. I had to pay more than that to have it moved.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    You can try Costco. Some times they have gun safes at good prices. Also, Bass Pro Shop runs some good sales.
    any particular brand better than another? I have done a search on the internet and have come up with all kinds of safes, Cannon, Fort Knox, Browning, DiamondBack, Winchester, Patriot, American Security. There are all kinds.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Retsupt will no doubt be along shortly with a great primer on buying a safe... I can't find the link right now, but search this forum for Retsupt99 and you'll find it...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I have a Liberty with which I'm completely satisfied. Got it from the local Bass Pro Shop. Good fire rating, bolts on 3 sides and anti-pry tabs all around. No need for Fort Knox level security for me but neither do I want a bad guy to walk off with my stuff before LE can respond to the alarm!

IIRR we paid about $1,000 for the 25 gun Colonial series.......significantly less than the manufacturer's advertised price. Note, if you're like us, you'll put a lot more than guns in it so when you're thinking about size, don't expect to put 25 guns into a "25 gun" safe.

Liberty Safe - Colonial
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Ours is a Liberty. but we were not looking at names as much as price.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Retsupt will no doubt be along shortly with a great primer on buying a safe... I can't find the link right now, but search this forum for Retsupt99 and you'll find it...
    I don't want to steal RetSupt's thunder, but I believe the following URL is the one he sends folks to:

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I don't want to steal RetSupt's thunder, but I believe the following URL is the one he sends folks to:

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    thanks that was a good link.

I purchased a Granite safe from a friend last Christmas the only problem is I wish now that I had one for years. The feeling of security a safe gives the gun owner is wonderful.

The biggest mistake first time safe buyers make...buying too small (but there is always enough money to buy twice).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

cabelas safes

Here is Cabelas web site. Watch for the sales..

Cabela's -- Gun Safes

I purchased a Granite safe from a friend last Christmas the only problem is I wish now that I had one for years. The feeling of security a safe gives the gun owner is wonderful.
    Totally agree with this one, in fact in my parts its a legal requirment to have rifles, shotguns and pistols stored in a loackable gun rack or safe.

Anything that stops the crims from taking legal firearms and feeding them into the criminal world is good.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Check out http://www.sturdysafe.com and also Frank Zykan Safe & Vault, LLC (the zykan eagle line is a diamondback safe)

You also need to realize that the vast majority of gun safes aren't true "safes" they're RSC's (residential security containers)
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links