Electronic Hearing Protection **UPDATE**

This is a discussion on Electronic Hearing Protection **UPDATE** within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought I would give everyone an update on what I bought and how it functioned at the range. I appreciate all the input from ...

Thread: Electronic Hearing Protection **UPDATE**

Electronic Hearing Protection **UPDATE**

I thought I would give everyone an update on what I bought and how it functioned at the range. I appreciate all the input from those who responded because your comments were helpful in my decision. After reading reviews, calling the companies and speaking with the customer service reps, I finally ordered the Pro Ears ComTac Gold. Pro Ears was the best to deal with, their web site was easy to navigate, had plenty of product info and the customer service folks were fantastic. I did not have that experience with Peltor, Howard Leight or Caldwell. Some of the other reasons I went with the Pro Ears was that it was made in USA , has a 5 year warrenty and is rated at 33NRR.

The ears have very clear sound with great amplification and very little background noise or hiss. Build quality is excellent with soft leather sealing rings for the cups and headband. The on/off/volumn control on each ear are very easy to operate and hearing anyone talk was as if you are not wearing any muffs at all, yet when firing, the sounds are muffeled with no discomfort. I believe sounds are amplified and/or compressed to about 70 db and I found no variation when firing either 9mm or 45.

If I had any negative comments it has to do with the batteries being inside the muff, they are under a small piece of foam and close to your ear, the other negative is that the sealing ring and cutout could be a bit larger. You also have a choice of either an "N" battery or Lithium Ion 123.

My personal opinion is that this is a great piece of equipment, it is expensive but you do get what you pay for.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the report. I've been considering electronic hearing protection/amplification for use at the outdoor range. I also gathered that Pro Ears makes a good product. Which batteries are you using and how is the performance? Does it feel like you're replacing batteries often?

Czampion,
    I had a choice of either "N" batteries or Lithium Ion 123 and I took the Lithium. Yesterday was the first time I used the set so I cant tell you how long the batteries will last. My guess is that the N battery is cheaper to buy. The Pro Ears are very well made and to me well worth the extra money.

Links