Which Night Sights for HK USP?

This is a discussion on Which Night Sights for HK USP? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my HK USP full-sized .45 ACP this week. The sole thing I want to change on my gun are the sights; I ...

Thread: Which Night Sights for HK USP?

VIP Member

Question Which Night Sights for HK USP?

I finally got my HK USP full-sized .45 ACP this week.

The sole thing I want to change on my gun are the sights; I want to upgrade to night sights, but I'm debating which to get.

At the top of my list are Tru Glo's titanium/fiber optic sights (TFO) since the "lit" fiber optics are very easy to see and pick up....especially with my crappy 40-something eyesight.

Next are Heine's SlantPro Straight Eight night sights. I love these Heine sights.

Lastly, I am considering a fellow member's Tru Dot (Meprolight) night sights since I can get them at a bargain.

Hilfe! What should do? What do you think about the sights I am interested in?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

2. Remove Ads

Exclamation Love my USP

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    I finally got my HK USP full-sized .45 ACP this week.

The sole thing I want to change on my gun are the sights; I want to upgrade to night sights, but I'm debating which to get.

At the top of my list are Tru Glo's titanium/fiber optic sights (TFO) since the "lit" fiber optics are very easy to see and pick up....especially with my crappy 40-something eyesight.

Next are Heine's SlantPro Straight Eight night sights. I love these Heine sights.

Lastly, I am considering a fellow member's Tru Dot (Meprolight) night sights since I can get them at a bargain.

Hilfe! What should do? What do you think about the sights I am interested in?
    When I got my USP I got the H&K nightsights already installed. Were I going aftermarket, I stay with Meprolight and I usually get the rear sights in yellow and the front in a bright green. Folks will say the yellow is dimmer (true) and they don't last as long (also true) but the fact is that under pressure in low light, I don't want to mistake one of my rear sights for the front sight when I see three dots in a row. If you get my meaning. I like the contrast and I like the dimness of the rear as it seems to automatically draw my eyes to the front sight.

There is a down side to bright night sights that was drawn out in the military special ops community when they first appeared and before they were popular with the public a SEAL team did a practice "takedown" of a surface vessel, IIRC a destroyer with the brass sitting on another ship nearby "observing." Real "dog & pony show," which those guys really hate. Anyway, one of the observers noted in his after action report to the chain of command that he really appreciated the "little lights" that the team carried on their weapons so as to assist the oberservers in marking the teams position during the exercise. SEE? If you can be seen...you can be killed...this is an old military truism that applies in this case. You don't want real bright night sights, because it's possible that a BG who is to your rear or flank (side) and maybe (hopefully) UNAWARE of that fact!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Good point Ex, about possible enemy/BG observation of your position due to one's night sights from the flank or rear.

I've done low-light shoots with my issue P229 and factory NS; the three trititum capsules are green. I was ok with focusing on the front NS, but I agree and see the value in having a green front and yellow/red/orange rear.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Ex,

The points you make have bothered me for some time now. Night sights can both reveal your presence and give away your a position. Although, the BGs would have to be in a favorable position to see them. If the gun is holstered, seems like there's a small chance they can be seen from the front, esp. with an "FBI" canted holster. If the gun is in the holster and concealed, there is no problem.

If the gun is drawn and in a low ready, etc. it's not likely someone to the front of you can see the sights, but someone to the side or, heaven forbid, to the rear likely could see them. I think it's a valid concern.

I've always been a night sight person, but I have been debating whether to put night sights on my G-17, USP, and G-34. What I'm really thinking about is iridescent orange paint on my front and rear sights. I understand the iridescent paint really shows up in lighted conditions, shows up pretty good in subdued lighting, and doesn't "glow" in the dark. The reason for orange is it's kind of a unique color. BGs tend to wear dark colors, esp. at night, and black sights just don't show up on dark targets. White dots may not show up good in brighter lighting on light colors. Not many people wear orange when they're doing bad things. So the orange should show up pretty good on most colors, well except orange traffic cones.

I also have concerns about confusing a rear dot for a front dot. Now that I've played with that quite a bit, it seems like it would be very unlikely to be a problem. Still if it can happen...

I have recently really come to appreciate the Glock sights. The front is a white dot, the rear is a three sided box. You just put the ball in the box and the ball on the target and fire. I don't know why I hadn't "discovered" that way before now.

I guess I'll pick up some paint and give it a try. I may put a different color on the rear. I'm thinking that may make the front sight show up better than if front and rear are the same color.

Links