Sig STL-900 Light Laser Problem

This is a discussion on Sig STL-900 Light Laser Problem within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have one of these? I bought a Sig STL-900 tactical laser/light for my gun. When I first put it on the laser dot was ...

Anyone have one of these? I bought a Sig STL-900 tactical laser/light for my gun. When I first put it on the laser dot was well outside of center and there was a single dot. When I adjusted the laser to the center point of aim, per the instructions which are somewhat vague, a second smaller laser dot appears in conjunction with the bright one? It sits below the main dot and to the left when I have the laser sighted with the main light and sights on the gun. However, if I adjust the main laser about 1/3 of the way from the center point of aim (either to the left or right of the main light and gun sights) the smaller dot disappears all together and only the main laser dot is visible. However, the laser is obviously not centered on target, or on center with the main light with both pointed at a wall. The smaller dot isn't a huge issue but is distracting none the less. Am I missing something due to how the laser is aligned on the outside edge of the light housing? Do I have a faulty device? Is it some sort of lensing refraction? If this isn't normal I want to get it replaced.

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Yes, I have the STL-900 and there is a slight reflection off the laser when it is close to PoA. The reflection is so far off the main dot, and pretty fuzzy, that it doesn't bother me much; I figure if that's the worst thing wrong with the unit, then I got my $130 worth out of it. I really like the light on it.

Not that I have looked directly into the unit while the laser is on, but I figure it is an artifact off the reflector due to the fact that the laser is off to the side of the unit. I realize the lamp and the laser can't be in the same place, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't offset the laser up towards the muzzle, rather than left towards...nothing in particular.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Kazz, I got a direct answer from Sig. They said since the laser it side mounted to light inside the housing that it is defracting off the inside of the housing. Seems kind of dumb they didn't just put it on bottom. When I used it at the range, I found that in actuality (for mine at least) if I centered the laser for shot placement the second smaller dot is lined up directly beneath the main dot. Kind of like confirmation of centering and aim.

Links