Night Sight for a Snubbie Revolver?

This is a discussion on Night Sight for a Snubbie Revolver? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking into night sights for my pistol and came across some one stating that they had some how put a tritium sight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Sight for a Snubbie Revolver?

Night Sight for a Snubbie Revolver?

I have been looking into night sights for my pistol and came across some one stating that they had some how put a tritium sight on their snubbie revolver. I was wondering if any of you have done this or heard of this. If you have could you tell where you got this done or how you did it.

I think this would be a great addition to my .357 Snubbie if I could some how get this done.

I think that the S&W Nightguard come like this from the factory, but I don't have the money for a new gun at the moment....so adding it would be the next best thing.

Thanks....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yes, it can be done on some snubs'. I have a 642-P which comes with an adjustable drift front sight. I simply ordered a spare sight from S&W for around 10-11 bucks and then I sent off to Tool Tech. They drilled & tapped a tritium insert and that was it. It actually looks like it came from the factory.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

+1 on what Saber posted.

You can also check Champion Gun Sights to see if they have anything applicable and have an armor install it/them.

Distinguished Member
    It seems that Tooltech charges significantly more to install tritium in existing sights than it costs to buy new sights and have them installed...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    It seems that Tooltech charges significantly more to install tritium in existing sights than it costs to buy new sights and have them installed...
    Yes, that's very true. At the time I received mixed information regarding the pre-fab units so I opted for what I knew would work. Granted, I wouldn't do it again but it was an experiment of sorts. You see I’m not overly enthusiastic with softer alloy-framed guns, so I try and limit how much I’ll spend to enhance them.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

If the gun has a pinned sight it is very easy to just replace with a new sight ie XS Big Dot. I just bought a Smith and Wesson 340 and it comes standard with a Big Dot Tritium.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

EW3
    IMO, the XS Big Dot is the best night sight you can get for a snubbie.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

Fixed Sights

I have a Taurus 85UL stainless, concealed hammer w/fixed front ramp and rear notch sight cut/molded into the frame.

I saw this in an article, I think it was 'Combat Handguns', and copied it. I cleaned the sights very well with some alcohol.

I painted the face of the rear notch sight black. I used what I had (it's glossy). If doing again I would look for some flat black.

Then I painted the ramp of the front sight with a base of white, then my daughter's Wal-Mart brand nail polish "Orange Passion".

It is GOOD!
    Not night sights I know, but a much better sight picture than it was. I'll try and see if I can get a pic of it and post it Monday.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

My 2 1/4" SP101 has a meprolight front night sight that I got from Brownells. I'm planning on getting the same sight for my 3" gun as well. It provides a nice, clean sight picture during the day and a great point of reference in the dark.

Given the price of adding a front night sight to milled sight S&W J-frames (as opposed to those pinned on), I decided to go with laser grips on my 37-2 instead of sending it off for night sight installation.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member
    I love the night sight on mt M&P 340 it almost makes it worth the extra money over a 642.

Administrator
    D&L SPORTS Front & Rear - Beautiful work. - Not cheap though.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

++1 on M&P340 PD sights as well as the X/S. Fast target acquisition in low light.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. I like night sights on all my SD weapons...great for six-decade old eyes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I love the night sight on mt M&P 340 it almost makes it worth the extra money over a 642.
    Agree, only negative IMO of 642, in the 340 vs 642, for most SD situation. However, I'm thinking the $300 saved could go toward laser, and you would still be $100 less than 340.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Not a revolver but i just put a xs big dot on my g23 and love it! If this is an option its what i would go with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links