Defensive Carry banner

Tactical Flashlight on Airplane?

39K views 34 replies 32 participants last post by  Xader 
#1 ·
Could you carry something like a SureFire E2D onto an airplane or in a carry bag? :confused: Any TSA people on the forum that can answer that?

#10 · (Edited)
I've always carried a flashlight of some type with me on all flights after July of 1989...one of my SureFires.

My two boys and I were flying back from Alaska in July of 1989. A few days before the flight, we changed one 'leg' of our route.::yup::gah:
We were ticketed for seats 15 A, B, & C on board this flight, but instead changed to a different plane in Denver.
YouTube - Sioux City Crash

There were around 300 people scheduled for that flight and only two-thirds walked away through dense smoke and darkness...I'm sure that many of those in the darkness wished that they had had a light source with them.

I now keep my SureFire on a lanyard around my neck and tucked inside my shirt when flying.

#14 ·
Any TSA people on the forum that can answer that?
Did you even try to find the answer yourself? You don't need a TSA person to reply; the answer is readily available online. I found the answer on the TSA website within 1 minute; just do an Internet search on "TSA Rules." Anyway, TSA's website is:
TSA: Prohibited Items

Flashlights are NOT listed as prohibited items. I've flown with flashlights many times. I could see how an overzealous TSA agent might identify certain types of lights (such as a metal bodied mini-mag light) as kubatons, but that's streching things a bit. If that happened, I would ask to speak to a supervisor and have him show me where in the rules flashlights are forbidden, and ask him why pens and pencils aren't kubatons.

#18 ·
Thank you for your trite response. I always like the resident know it all who belittles others with their superior knowledge, unless I am reading it wrong. To answer your question, I did look at the TSA website, thank you very much, and as you have hammered home, flashlights aren't on the list. However, I asked about a specific model with a bezel that is designed and advertised to be a strike weapon. Didn't see that CLARIFIED in the TSA area. Before I threw it in a bag and then had them confiscate a $200 flashlight they considered a "weapon" I thought I would pose it here. Sorry if it was a bother for you to look it up only to provide me with information I already had. Thus I was hoping a TSA person could share their opinion on the matter.

#15 ·
I flew with my 6P Defender last year. Little did they know, but it was actually modified and could probably cause a terrorist's eyes to turn white and explode if I shined it in his eyes. Ok, not really, but seriously.

And I would rather stick someone in the eye with a pen than a flashlight. More concentrated point and less to push through.

Reactions: 5lima30ret
#16 ·
I just returned from Mexico & carried a Surefire light on my person & another in my go bag, that travels with me on ALL the flights. There are NO problems taking a light on your person or carry on.....

At Reagan, they did try to take the safety scissors in my first aid kit (it's a large kit), but a supervisor (called at my request) told them it was OK. No problem at ANY of the other airports here or in Mexico.

And I would rather stick someone in the eye with a pen than a flashlight. More concentrated point and less to push through.
Don't under estimate a bezel strike with a Surefire!

#17 ·
I just returned from Mexico & carried a Surefire light on my person & another in my go bag, that travels with me on ALL the flights. There are NO problems taking a light on your person or carry on.....

At Reagan, they did try to take the safety scissors in my first aid kit (it's a large kit), but a supervisor (called at my request) told them it was OK. No problem at ANY of the other airports here or in Mexico.

Don't under estimate a bezel strike with a Surefire!
I've felt the pain in training. Don't want to feel it in real life. I was only referring soley to penetration. The E2DL bezel (though I don't have one) is very nice. The 6P is a little more chunky though.

#22 ·
Here's some more info from TSA: (not such a dumb question by the way). While flashlights may not be a problem, batteries could be.

As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.
Some Tips for Safe Travel With Batteries

* Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur.
* Buy batteries from reputable sources and only use batteries approved for your device – avoid counterfeits! A counterfeit battery is more likely to cause a fire in your equipment – costing you more in the long run, and compromising safety.
* Look for the mark of an independent testing or standards organization, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).
* Do not carry recalled or damaged batteries on aircraft. Check battery recall information at the manufacturer's website, or at the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
* Only charge batteries which you are sure are rechargeable! Non-rechargeable batteries are not designed for recharging, and become hazardous if placed in a battery charger. A non-rechargeable battery placed in a charger may overheat or cause damage later.
* Only use a charger compatible with your rechargeable battery – don’t mix and match!
* If original packaging is not available for spare batteries, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating the batteries from contact with other batteries and metal. Do not permit a loose battery to come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys, or jewelry.
* Place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Isolating terminals prevents short-circuiting.
* Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short-circuit, resulting in overheating.
* If you must carry a battery-powered device in any baggage, package it to prevent inadvertent activation. For instance, you should pack a cordless power tool in a protective case, with a trigger lock engaged. If there is an on-off switch or a safety switch, tape it in the "off" position.

Lithium Batteries: Safety and Security

Image of a lithium ion battery.Lithium-ion batteries, often found in laptop computers, differ from primary lithium batteries, which are often used in cameras. Some newer AA-size batteries are also primary lithium.

While there is no explosion hazard associated with either kind of battery, the Federal Aviation Administration has studied fire hazards associated with both primary and lithium-ion cells, and their extensive research is publicly available. As a result of this research, the FAA no longer allows large, palletized shipments of these batteries to be transported as cargo on passenger aircraft.

The research also shows that an explosion will not result from shorting or damaging either lithium-ion or primary lithium batteries. Both are, however, extremely flammable. Primary lithium batteries cannot be extinguished with firefighting agents normally carried on aircraft, whereas lithium-ion batteries are easily extinguished by most common extinguishing agents, including those carried on board commercial aircraft.

TSA has and will continue to work closely with the FAA on potential aviation safety and security issues, and TSA security officers are thoroughly and continually trained to find explosive threats. TSA does not have plans to change security regulations for electronic devices powered by lithium batteries.

#24 ·
Yes, you can. Remember:
- it's just a flashlight; flight attendants and pilots are required to have them to use in emergencies - you like to be prepared
- "strike bezel"? Nope, those are crenalations, so that you can tell if the light is on when placed on a table (you can demonstrate that super easy).

#29 ·
When I went on a cruise in January, my Streamlight is the one thing that never left my pocket. TSA gave me no trouble at any airport, nor did the cruise line during check-in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.