LMS-UNI + TLR-1 vs TLR-2 (X400, X5L, TLR-2, M6)

This is a discussion on LMS-UNI + TLR-1 vs TLR-2 (X400, X5L, TLR-2, M6) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank you in advance for your vote and thoughts! I’m considering the purchase of a Laser Max LMS-UNI (around $185). Then I would attach a ...

View Poll Results: Help me deside on laser / light combo for my Glock

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Laser Max LMS-UNI + Streamlight TLR-1

1 4.35%
  • Streamlight TLR-2

12 52.17%
  • Surefire X400

5 21.74%
  • Viridian X5L

1 4.35%
  • Insight M6

4 17.39%
  • Glock GTL21 or GTL22

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMS-UNI + TLR-1 vs TLR-2 (X400, X5L, TLR-2, M6)

Thank you in advance for your vote and thoughts!

I’m considering the purchase of a Laser Max LMS-UNI (around $185). Then I would attach a Streamlight TLR-1 (around $110). Total would be around $300.

I’ve noticed the realistic best price on a TLR-2 is around $270 to $300 (don’t know if I would trust the other vendors that have it for less).

The LMS-UNI + TLR-1 combo offers greater versatility (but bulker) option to the TRL-2. So that is about where I’m stuck. LMS-UNI + TLR-1 vs. TLR-2.

I’m almost at decision mode on a laser / light combo. This thread is not about the advantages of a mounted light or laser; I’m just looking for final thoughts comparing the products. This laser / light will be used on a standard size Glock.

I had considered the Glock branded tactical lights, and while I think Glock makes a good firearm, when it comes to lights, value for the price, and just in general, I’ve read enough reviews to be uncertain about their tactical light products compared to the options listed here.

Here are a few products I’ve considered:

Surefire X400: $430 to $460 ($455 suggested retail). 110 lumens, 3.54"L X 1.86"H X 1.46"W (4.4 oz.), aircraft aluminum, 2 CR123A 3V, tool to attach /detach.

Viridian X5L (Green Laser): $328 to $387 ($379 suggested retail). 100 lumens (140 strobe), 2.467"L X 1.998"H X 1.185"W (2.09 oz.), polymer & aircraft aluminum, 1 CR2 3V, tool to attach /detach.

Streamlight TLR-2: $206 to $488 (most likely $270). 135 lumens, 3.26”L X 1.47”W X 1.83”H (4.72 oz.), aircraft aluminum, 2 CR123A 3V, no tools to attach /detach.

Insight M6: $165 to $365 ($260 suggested retail, I've seen tan ones for $160). 90 lumens, 3.4”L x 1.6”W x 1.9”H (3.7 oz.), polymer, 2 CR123A 3V, no tools to attach /detach.

I'm thinking the X400 is just to much. Plus I don’t like spending extra considering it is a dedicated (must use tools to attach / detach). They point this out as an advantage, and I get it. I CC this firearm, and when I do, I don’t want a bulky laser / light combo attached to it. Then again, maybe I just need to forget about CC the G31, and just stick with the G33 for CC when I'm not CC my revolver.

I think the Viridian products are very tempting (even at that price). They are light weight and slimmer. Green laser is a real plus. Unfortunately, unlike the dedicated (laser only) Glock version, the X5L requires the use of a tool to attach /detach.

I have to admit I go back and forth on the TLR-2 vs taking a chance on M6 (especially if I don’t mind a M6 that is tan, the tan ones are going for around $160). The M6X is not being considered. Given the price of the M6X, I would rather go with the TLR-2.

Other options: The laser max rod and some type of grip mounted laser were considered, but in the final analyst, I don’t want to mess with the internals, and I would like something less dedicated. The though of being able to buy something that would work on other firearms is a big plus for this purchase.

PS - Some scuttle on the TLR-2's lumens vs the X400. Some say Streamlight (TLR) is being agressive on the output and that Surefire (X400) is being conservative.
    NRA Member

Streamlight is located in the town I work in. I have a TRL-1 on just about all of my handguns and two TRL-2 for my rifles. Excellent products and customer service.

They just got the USMC contract as well.

Why wouldn't you trust one of the vendors selling the lights for less?

I have done a bunch or research lately and I am going with the Surefire X400. I found it available yesterday at a great price of $327.85 delivered. Surefire X400 LED Weapon Light

This price was after their 15% stimulus discount. However, it looks like today they are sold out as the link to buy is not offered.

tmizzi,

Thanks for the link. Some good prices not only on the X400 but also the TLR-2.
    NRA Member

Surefire is my pick. I've got a boat-load of their stuff & haven't had a single snafu in the bunch. Yep, no doubt they're pricy. But the potential price of failure is just sooo high!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Streamlight M-3 and M-6 for me (not listed in the poll). M-3 (flashlight only model) stays on the AR15 or the Rem 870, and the M-6 (light/laser/combo) gets put on my daily carry pistol at night and goes to bed with me.

I had a LaserMax Uni that failed shortly after I bought it, so I'd avoid them.

I've always wanted the Insight M6 for my CZ-75 SP-01 Phantom.

If you find anything that looks too good to be true, it is (e.g., UTG: LIGHT-146 - Leapers UTG Compact Laser Flashlight Ambidextrous On Off Sw Integral Picatinny Weaver Mounting Deck). Stick with Surefire, Insight, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Streamlight M-3 and M-6 for me (not listed in the poll). M-3 (flashlight only model) stays on the AR15 or the Rem 870, and the M-6 (light/laser/combo) gets put on my daily carry pistol at night and goes to bed with me.
    Don't think Streamlight makes the M6 anymore...now by Insight.
    NRA Member

I have had a TRL2 for over 2 yrs now and no problems!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Don't think Streamlight makes the M6 anymore...now by Insight.
    Yeah...I'm old school. I bought each of these likely before any of you even thought about CC or home security, or tactics, or anything. Ten years or so and everything on the market is obsolete. That's why I'm waiting to get me a television and a new laptop! LOL!
    It also explains why it's easier these days to find attachments that will fit my firearms and "old" hardware.
    Streamlight M6 Tactical Laser Illuminator Weapon Light M-6 FREE S&H 69090. Streamlight Flashlights.
    Streamlight - M-6 Tactical Weapons Light
    Streamlight M6 Tactical Laser Illuminator | Police & Law Enforcement Discussions and Forums - PoliceLink
    streamlight m3 tactical illuminator - Google Product Search

Guess what? They can still be found! I'm not so old school after all! Woo Hoo!
    Know what? Sometimes older is better.

TLR-2 is known for having issues holding zero on the laser. I have also seen recent threads on other forums concerning probs with the SF X400. TLR-1 is a solid light.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    TLR-2 is known for having issues holding zero on the laser. I have also seen recent threads on other forums concerning probs with the SF X400. TLR-1 is a solid light.
    My two year old TLR-2 has never had any problem holding zero and Streamlight has excellent customer service too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

How about this one: Insight WX150 Rail Mounted Tactical LED Weapon Light
    Bright 150 Lumen; steady or strobe; LED will last a long, long time; $140.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I'm one slow shopper. Thanks for the replies. Could use any thoughts on a choice.

Don't know when, as I've been more focused on a house wide fall cleaning project. Tired of the clutter and 1/2 done projects.

But as winter comes, and things get darker sooner, I'm going to return to this, so hopeful to hear any thoughts the next 45 days or so.
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links