Holster for EDC collection
This is a discussion on Holster for EDC collection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been trying to figure out how to safely and effectively carry a knife, flashlight, cell phone, and OC spray along with keys, pen, ...
August 30th, 2009 02:57 AM
Holster for EDC collection
I have been trying to figure out how to safely and effectively carry a knife, flashlight, cell phone, and OC spray along with keys, pen, a pair of pliers, umpteen receipts, eight cents, and a dead rat.
OK, maybe not the dead rat. But I've been concerned about scratching the lens of the flashlight, and I *really* don't want to set off the OC spray in my pocket. Rather than devote a full pocket to each (as I have been), I just finished a little Kydex project to carry my flashlight, cell phone, and OC spray on my belt (see photo, below). This way I can carry my fat rolls of currency with nary a concern.
- Make a fake cellphone out of wood, and a fake OC spray cannister so you don't overheat either;
- Tape your flashlight, wood cellphone, and fake OC container together, with some spacing between them. I wrapped mine in paper then duct tape;
- Measure your pack and lay out the cuts for the Kydex and cut the basic outline (see sketch for the shape - your items will determine the dimensions):
- Heat the Kydex: I did mine at 250 degrees for five minutes or so - others run theirs hotter for a shorter time;
- Make folds #5, 6, and 7 (specifics in steps 6-9; see sketch for which fold is which):
- Place the Kydex on a towel with the 'outside' to the left, and the long beltloop part to the right (good side down);
- Lay the pack on the towel with the part that will be at the top to the left and the rearmost item closest to you;
- Arrange the pack so the right amount of 'peek out the top' is hanging over the leftmost lip of the Kydex;
- Pull the right side of your towel up and over to your left so the beltloop part flips over the top of your pack;
- Fold the two tab 'wings' straight up by pulling the near and far edges of the towel up;
- Hold everything in place for a couple of minutes to allow the Kydex to cool and become rigid. Don't sweat inaccuracies: that's what the blowtorch is for;
- Use a blowtorch to heat the tabs, and make fold 9 on both sides;
- Figure out where to make the slots in the back (for the tabs which keep the EDC items separate, and cut with a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool. There are probably other ways to do this, but that's what I used. Note that cutting these slots ahead of time would have been easier, as the tabs were kinda in the way. But I wasn't sure where they would go, and the ugliness of the fold/slot/tuck stuff is not visible when I'm wearing it;
- Heat the Fold #8 area with the blowtorch, and make the fold, tucking the tabs into the slots you just cut;
- Cool the Kydex to the point where it is rigid and you can handle it;
- Remove your forming pack and try your actual cell phone and OC spray cannister;
- Heat with the blowtorch and make any necessary adjustments. Note: if you heat the outside too much, you'll lose the matte finish. I heated mine mostly from the inside of the holster or the back. Be careful with overheating the OC cannister: it would be rough to explain to the wife why you just maced her kitchen if it exploded. PV=nRT;
- Heat the area for the first belt loop folds (#1 and 2) and fold the Kydex over your belt. Note: remove your belt from your waist before you do this;
- Heat the area for final belt loop folds (#3 and 4), and finish the belt loop - slide your belt in and out a few times so the Kydex isn't too tight;
- Using the Dremel tool (or creativity), cut the finger holes for popping out your cell phone and OC spray cannister. I used a cutting wheel then a routing bit, with a final sanding cylinder treatment;
Ultimately I plan to use add a tuckable mag holder to this, and will post an update when I get to it. And the next one I make may put the flashlight a little lower: that bezel is a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I should lose weight.
Folks, if you haven't started playing with Kydex, consider it. It's great fun!
Update: as it is now the tabs on either side of the cell phone push its buttons in and keep the display lit, killing the battery fairly quickly. If you're making a holster like this, don't make the tabs come up so high: I'll be milling mine down with the Dremel this evening.
Last edited by Paymeister; August 30th, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Reason: Design flaw discovered and "fix" deduced.
August 30th, 2009 02:57 AM
August 30th, 2009 03:02 AM
Sweet. I may try that after I finish my experiment with a FatBoy from Maxpedition. Who can say no to free gear, not me. So its time to experiment with a new way to carry all my gear.
I know not what this "overkill" means.
Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.
August 30th, 2009 08:32 PM
where do u get your Kydex, texas knife?
August 30th, 2009 08:37 PM
Can you carry that around your work environment without being questioned about the spray?
August 30th, 2009 11:51 PM
I got my Kydex from Knifekits - I used .080", though that may be heavier than I need. It costs $4.95 per square foot plus shipping.
No hassles at work: their policy is that we can't bring WEAPONS onto company property. This is for the chili I have for lunch.
By Devil Doc in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
Last Post: February 19th, 2010, 07:46 AM
By czlight in forum Defensive Carry Guns
Last Post: February 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
By TwinCarry in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
Last Post: March 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
By R.E.Lee in forum Defensive Carry Guns
Last Post: January 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM
By Barbary in forum Defensive Carry Guns
Last Post: January 29th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Search tags for this page
belt holster cell phone knife flashlight edc
cell phone holster edc
fake cell phone for edc
fake cell phone holder edc
fake o.c. spray container
fake oc spray
flashlight kydex edc
flashlight kydex holster
kydex cell phone holster
kydex flashlight holster
kydex holster for oc spray
kydex holsters for oc spray
spray holster on edcforum
Click on a term to search for related topics.