Hand Cuffs

This is a discussion on Hand Cuffs within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you carry hand cuffs with you daily? I am really asking the non LEO people out there. I can think of a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hand Cuffs

Hand Cuffs

Do any of you carry hand cuffs with you daily? I am really asking the non LEO people out there. I can think of a few situations that they may be used. And before anyone starts, I am not trying to be or impersonate a LEO. All of your replies are appreciated! Thank you...

2. Remove Ads

I carry them at work in a prison. They is no fun in applying them to someone that doesn't want to be cuffed. You really are in a position a lot to lose control of the situation if you are alone. I wouldn't even consider it not knowing if help was coming like now on the street.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Do any of you carry hand cuffs with you daily? I am really asking the non LEO people out there. I can think of a few situations that they may be used.
    Are you serious??? I can't think of one situation where I'd be authorized to use handcuffs. I am not a LEO. Carrying a concealed weapon makes me no different than any other private citizen. The ONLY time I'm permitted ( in SC) to draw and possibly fire my weapon is if "I believe I am in imminent danger of losing my life or sustaining grave bodily injury." I may not draw and fire to protect property. I may not draw and fire to protect others, except for the "third party" defense which can get you into severe legal trouble real quick. I have NO authority to detain anyone. If the guy refuses to be handcuffed, what'cha gonna do? Shoot him? If he runs away - in the back? Now you're up for Murder 2.

I am not trying to be or impersonate a LEO.
    Yes, you are. The minute you talk about restraining someone at gunpoint and handcuffing them, you're taking on the duties of a LEO.

Carrying a gun does NOT make you ANY TYPE of LEO or any other official police body. You wanna handcuff people? Join a force.

The only thing I would have handcuffs for is to secure my gun to the seat post in my vehicle while I had to leave it,other than that they stay in the bedroom where they belong
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Jp4240 I mean no offence to you, but when I read your question, I had a flashback to an old Mayberry RFD episode. Where Goober is running behind Barney yelling “CITIZENS ARREST…CITIZENS ARREST CITIZENS ARREST!!!!!” It made me LOL.
    I can see where the thought of carrying handcuffs might seem like a good idea. I have used them in the past both in corrections and EMS, Supertac45 is correct it’s not fun. Trying to cuff someone is dangerous. Even when you are trained to properly apply them, you open yourself up to a physical confrontation. Also you can cause harm to a person’s wrist / hands during application. This could open you up for liability.
    I have no intent of taking anyone into custody or detaining them so I have no reason to carry them.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

maybe a good item to have in your bedroom but wouldnt
    carry handcuffs around. Would take up limited room anyway
    you could carry a extra mag, flashlight, knife, or pepper spray
    instead

never have and never would.
    there is never a situation that I would need them in. I will never arest someone. If I was in fear of my life I would shoot to stop the threat. doing a citacens arest is a can of worms that I never feel the need to open.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Unless I was giving someone a gift of handcuffs I wouldn't have them on me. Its a can of worms, best leave them at home or in the store.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Lead Moderator
    In a word, HELL NO! Oh, wait that's two words...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

As a security guard who's has been certified to carry handcuffs in the past I don't carry them with me while not working. I may own them, but I prefer not to carry them while I'm not working all the same.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote:
    I am not trying to be or impersonate a LEO.
    Yes, you are. The minute you talk about restraining someone at gunpoint and handcuffing them, you're taking on the duties of a LEO.

Carrying a gun does NOT make you ANY TYPE of LEO or any other official police body. You wanna handcuff people? Join a force.
    Yesterday i was reading a magazine article about gear associated with CCW. One page shows a picture of someone's night-stand and it has Cuffs, among other things on it. The caption reads "dont sacrifice what you carry during your day, you will never know what you will need." So to reiterate my first post....Im not trying to be a LEO. Maybe i worded it wrong, but my feeling are the same as all of yours...

Maybe the fuzzy kind.

I simply can't imagine any realistic scenario where I'd need a pair of handcuffs.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

JRI
    Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    Yesterday i was reading a magazine article about gear associated with CCW. One page shows a picture of someone's night-stand and it has Cuffs, among other things on it. The caption reads "dont sacrifice what you carry during your day, you will never know what you will need." So to reiterate my first post....Im not trying to be a LEO. Maybe i worded it wrong, but my feeling are the same as all of yours...
    Was there also one of those CWP badges in the picture?

Seriously, as others have stated it is a bad idea and may be illegal in some states. Trust me, putting handcuffs on a person who does not want to be handcuffed only looks easy in the movies.

Carrying cuffs for me would be the same as carrying a membership to ACORN. Since I have no intention of using either, they are both useless...

:)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links