DIY custom earplugs: A product review

This is a discussion on DIY custom earplugs: A product review within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had heard good things about these custom molded silicone earplugs from Radians, so when I found out Brownell's had them, I added a few ...

Thread: DIY custom earplugs: A product review

DIY custom earplugs: A product review

I had heard good things about these custom molded silicone earplugs from Radians, so when I found out Brownell's had them, I added a few to my latest parts order.

BROWNELLS : RADIANS : CUSTOM MOLDED EAR PLUGS -

I made myself a pair of tan ones. Made extra sure to clean my hands and ears with soap, alcohol, and plenty of Q tips. Followed the directions and molded them right before bed, then let them set up overnight. I would have included a picture, but it's just a odd shaped lump of tan plastic.

To the range:
    The NRR is listed as 26, not as much as some muffs, so I took my Peltor muffs to the local outdoor range. I was spotting for a friend firing 40 or 50 rounds of 7mm Magnum and had no need for additional ear protection. I was spotting with my .223 rifle and I also fired about 20 rounds of .223 with no problem. Walked down to the handgun side of the range and no problems there either. There was a guy shooting an AR with a comp/brake on it and I could tell it was loud, but still not painful or uncomfortable and I had no need to add extra protection.

Pros: At the last SHOT show there were folks making them for $50, these retail for $14.99 from Brownell's. Good deal. They were easy to make, I followed the directions for once, and had no problems with the fit. They are effective when standing next to lots of magnum and .223 rifle shots, ARs with brakes, and handguns.

Cons: They seemed to make the insides of my ears sweat, but it was a hot day anyway. There are no provisions for a neck strap or cord, although I bet I could mold one in next time. They are one solid color, the ones I saw at SHOT were available in bunches of different colors and swirls if you like that kind of thing. They are not as effective as earmuffs based on the NRR.

All in all I think they're a good value, I plan on using them at the range at work, too. And even though they seem to make the insides of my ears sweat, they were still not as hot as earmuffs in the Florida afternoon sun.

Your comments, thoughts, and questions are welcome as always.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    When I read the topic title, first thing I thought was you used cigarette butts in your ears ...

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to post.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    When I read the topic title, first thing I thought was you used cigarette butts in your ears ...

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to post.
    Yea I didnt know what to expect on that one either. Glad to hear they work for you..

I myself wear EarPro Sonic Defender by Surefire....

I just cant see myself pouring something in my ear to cast a mold..
    JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    ..........There are no provisions for a neck strap or cord, although I bet I could mold one in next time..............
    Radians Custom Molded Ear Plug Lanyard

Midway also has different colors.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

As for the colors, they are available in solid red, orange, blue, or tan. I saw some at SHOT that were all different colors and swirled blends of colors. There were even some camo colors. These are only one solid color. I like the tan, at first the range master didn't think I was wearing ear protection when the line went "hot".

Links