and a table was selling concealable body
armor and it just got me thinking if anyone
on here that is not a on duty LEO ever wears
body armor. Dont know if I will ever actually buy
a vest or not but think it may be a good item
to keep in my safe for when things end up getting crazier
in society. thanks for the info or thoughts on the subject

#3 ·
I have a couple of kevlar vests. They sit under the edge of the bed, ready to throw on in the event of an intruder in the night. I read this suggestion in an article by Massad Ayoob years ago and have followed this advice ever since.

#4 ·
seems like a good idea TN Mike.
a lot of possible times when a vest
may come in handy. Bullet Proof me.com
has a lot of products including vests, blankets,
and briefcases that are made from kevlar. They
even have kevlar shields but not sure on the legality or
bullet proof me policy of a citizen buying or owning the
shields but they would really be nice to have in a home
attack. sure there are other sites that offer a wide variety
of kevlar products as well. I am very surprised criminals dont
use armor more than they have.

#6 ·
Sure, security officers, undercover loss prevention wear them. They have actually saved several officer's lives in vehicle crashes (trauma plate prevented steering wheel from caving in the sternum). I have a friend who wore one after a very nasty gall bladder surgery where he could have been killed if in a car accident without the protection. Do you travel through bad neighborhoods? I have been shot at 3 times in vehicles (and do wear one if in a bad area). My friend got shot at when passing under an overpass once. Thought it was a backfire until he stopped for gas and found the hole. Do you have enemies that might do you harm? This is a plausible reason for having one. I would call the attorney general in your area and ask them before you are stopped by a cop that asks too many questions. It could be illegal in your area. Also, note that if you commit any crime while wearing one, it automatically bumps it up to a felony if you have a firearm. It is not specified what type of crime could trigger this and could broadly be misconstrued...

#8 ·
I can't see myself wearing a vest to go grocery shopping, but having something at hand in case of societal breakdown or home invasion doesn't sound so wacky.

Here's the applicable Oregon law to non-felons:
166.643 Unlawful possession of body armor. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of body armor if the person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony or misdemeanor involving violence, knowingly:
(a) Wears body armor; and
(b) Possesses a deadly weapon.
(2) Unlawful possession of body armor is a Class B felony. [2001 c.635 §3]

#9 ·
I work corrections and have thought about getting a stab proof vest to wear at work. But I'm not sure if they are authorized and they are pretty bulky.

#10 ·
I only wear mine on SRT calls... However I do have it in the bedroom in case of a break-in at home and I have time to put it on.

If I ever need to "clear" my house, I would wear it.

I certainly didn't buy it. It was issued to me.

I don't think I would spend the money on body armor for the very, very, very limited use it would get under the home situations I just described.

#12 ·
I've worn one (IIA) on duty for 12 years now.

I still can't get used to how uncomfortable it is, nothing is better than body armor on a 90+ degree day. Also, I don't think it's something you have time to don in a crisis and that's why it's not on the seat next to me.

#14 ·
It took me years to get comfortable wearing armor that was tailor made for me much less some off the rack stuff. Not sure where a citizen would get the chance to wear some except for a SHTF scenario, and that is not the time to try to get used to it or wearing it with your other gear. Not to mention it will likely only stop handgun rounds and that is not what you would be facing. - George

#15 ·
A good compromise is a ballistic insert. Can be used in a laptop bag, briefcase, backpack, diaper bag, large purse, etc.

I have one in my briefcase - Level III. Will stop pistol caliber bullets even when fired by carbine-length barrels.

Cost is reasonable - got mine from BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests

#16 ·
There have been a few times at public ranges that I really wished I had one on. I always thought of buying one just for that reason.

#19 ·
For what I do and where I go...in shorts and T-shirts...it would be a bit over the top.

:31:

#24 ·
I still have my inserts from Iraq. Like something from Catch-22, they wouldn't take the vest from me due to the bloodstains. The shell had to be destroyed, and the hospital (where the incinerator was) gave me a note, and I got to keep the rest.

They never asked for anything back but that silly note.

If I get a shell, I'm going to paint it white, put "PRESS" on it in huge block letters, buy a cheap kevlar to similarly inscribe, and go cover the more violent protests (like the G-20 Summit) with my camera (and a gun, CC)!

I have wierd hobbies, I know.:hand5:

#25 ·
Not to try and revitalize and old thread too much, but I have quite a few Second Chance vests (lvl III comparable) that I am selling. They are GSG9 rated (created in the US for the German's) with a defensive rating of SK-1.

Never worn, and no Zylon...

It comes with 2 carriers, 2 panels, an undercover shirt (that holds the panels as well), as well as an IMPAC ST plate.

Asking $450 per vest with discounts for multiple vests.

PM if anybody is interested and I can get you the info and pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.