OC Spray

This is a discussion on OC Spray within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a good quality OC/Pepper spray for my wife and two daughters and would appreciate any advice that would be helpful. Only requirements ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC Spray

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Exclamation OC Spray

I'm looking for a good quality OC/Pepper spray for my wife and two daughters and would appreciate any advice that would be helpful. Only requirements are that it be 2 oz. or less and that it functions well. Specific brands or labels of what you know works would be helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by P7fanatic; September 9th, 2009 at 07:24 AM.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Fox is a good one, I have others that are good also, all 15%, check your state laws to make sure there are no % limits on it

get the cone spray, it kicks in faster than foam and has better coverage with the spray
    get a couple extra for them to practice with and perhaps even get a little blown back in their face so they can know what to expect

Search online, there are a lot of places to get it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Saber is another good one. I should know I've been hit with it, it will drop most. Considering I did the tear gas chamber in basic and it didnt effect me and Saber dropped me like a brick.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I carry a Fox keychain unit.

I like the spitfire oc spray for smaller carry.

Forget pepper spray. It's not wise to use it indoors, because you're very likely to absorb a debilitating amount of the spray yourself. It's also fairly common for it to blow back on you when you're outdoors.

Get pepper gel instead. The gel is safe to use inside and out, with very little chance of blow back and self-contamination. Pepper gel also has better range than spray or foam, with an effective distance usually around 18 feet.

Pepper gel is also more effective at stopping aggressors, due to the fact that it sticks to their eyes, nose and mouth like glue. Nasty stuff that's virtually impossible to wipe away without making things worse.

I recommend 10% OC with UV dye. I use MACE brand, but there are several companies out there that make a quality product.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    ...Get pepper gel instead. ...sticks to their eyes, nose and mouth like glue. Nasty stuff that's virtually impossible to wipe away without making things worse....
    Gel, eh? Hm. I've heard the argument that foam is a bad idea because the bad guy can scoop it off and fling it back on you.

Any thoughts on the foam comment?

And do you feel such comments apply to or don't apply to the gel? Sounds like good stuff!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Fox labs...2oz in a cone....I feel is the best option then Saber or Defense Technologies.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    my wife carries Fox ASP, she's never had to use it, so I can't give you a review! It's designed to be used as a fist pack too in case it comes to hand to hand fighting.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Fox 5.3 or Saber Red

I have heard from some Corrections Officers at the jail we visit frequently that the stories about flinging OC foam are true. They now issue a CS / OC blend there. Never tried the gel...

I'm partial to MSI brand myself. I prefer the flip-top style to some of the other small sized units. Near zero possiblity of accidentally friring it in my pocket. I carry some 10% pepperguard at work where I can't be armed. I used to carry the triple action, a CN/OC/dye blend.
    Mace Pepper Spray | Home Protection | Security Systems | Online Super Store!
    And +1 on buying extra to train with.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Gel, eh? Hm. I've heard the argument that foam is a bad idea because the bad guy can scoop it off and fling it back on you.

Any thoughts on the foam comment?

And do you feel such comments apply to or don't apply to the gel? Sounds like good stuff!
    I don't recommend foam, but not necessarily for the reason you mentioned. The foam doesn't have good range. You're lucky to get 8 to 10 feet with foam.

There's no chance of flinging the gel. It sticks like glue, rather than being somewhat runny like the foam.

Pepper spray, whether mist or stream, is unsafe for indoor use and has a significant chance of blowback outdoors.

Pepper gel is currently the most advanced, most effective and safest pepper product on the market.

10% OC with UV dye from a reputable manufacturer will do the trick.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Administrator
    DPS Keychain Unit - Buy a larger one also & keep it in the car.

Same formulation as Fox Labs - pre-tested and with a few feet greater range than the Fox Labs. I have sold a ton of them locally.
    Buy Extras - Sell some locally. They sell like hotcakes.

J&L Self Defense Products. <~~~Great Honest Company - FAST SHIPPING - Credit Card Safe - CALL/Phone your order in.

Pepper Spray - J & L Self Defense Products

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    I don't recommend foam, but not necessarily for the reason you mentioned. The foam doesn't have good range. You're lucky to get 8 to 10 feet with foam.

There's no chance of flinging the gel. It sticks like glue, rather than being somewhat runny like the foam.

Pepper spray, whether mist or stream, is unsafe for indoor use and has a significant chance of blowback outdoors.

Pepper gel is currently the most advanced, most effective and safest pepper product on the market.

10% OC with UV dye from a reputable manufacturer will do the trick.
    Well everyone has an opinion, and you're certainly entitled to yours, but to say that spray is unsafe for indoor use strikes me as completely untrue. What do you mean exactly by "unsafe for indoor use"?

Yes it can blow back, thats why you train to know where the wind is, and everyone should get a little shot of it to know what to expect, but to say that its unsafe to use indoors is way over the line IMO. If its so unsafe then millions of LE/military wouldn't be using it world wide. Our department uses it and its not dangerous.
    Dangerous to use indoors.....no.
    Has higher probability of affecting those other than intended....yes.

Everyone has their opinions on spray vs gel vs foam, but to plant an idea in someone's head that spray is unsafe isn't right.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Big can of wasp & hornet spray is accurate to about 25ft and has a ton of stuff in it. Plus, it's not illegal to carry in places that ban pepper spray....you just might be deathly allergic to things that can hurt you. Heard an 80+yr old lady successfully defended her home with a can of it. Bad guy was still in the yard when cops (neighbor called em) arrived and arrested him...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links