Sling recommendations, please

This is a discussion on Sling recommendations, please within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to lay in three slings. Two are for rimfires with D-ring swivels installed already. The third is for an M4gery with a forward ...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

I need to lay in three slings. Two are for rimfires with D-ring swivels installed already. The third is for an M4gery with a forward D-ring on the left side of the gas block and a collapsible carbine stock with sling slots (no ring or QD).

The main purpose of the slings is for supported shooting (which I will learn to do properly at an upcoming Appleseed event ). Anybody care to offer suggestions? I have looked through all the Blackhawk slings and there are several possibilities there, though I could do without the BLACKHAWK! logo all over them...

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I just got the V-Tac Sling this year originally for my AK rifle. This sling is now used for every rifle/shotgun that i own. I am a avid duck/goose hunter and have already used this sling in the field with a shotgun with glorious results. I cant say enough about the ease of use and MANY ways that you can cary just about any weapon with it. I would suggest that you get the padded version if you chose to get this one. Below is a link to there page, but if you go to youtube.com you can find videos of demonstrations on how it works. Get it, you wont regret it.

Viking Tactics, Inc.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have the Vickers sling available from Blue Force Gear - Savannah, GA. It about the best that I have found. The Viking Tactics is a good piece of equipment as well. Buy either with confidence.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    I have the Vickers sling available from Blue Force Gear - Savannah, GA. It about the best that I have found. The Viking Tactics is a good piece of equipment as well. Buy either with confidence.
    I have the vickers and love it but, It came with my ar.
    I personaly think there kinda high in price but,
    there excellant quality to.

There are three types of slings - "tactical", web, and leather. The tactical tend to be fancy nylon with lots of bukles and snaps. I think mostly best for carrying the weapon in short-term ready condition or long term over the shoulder. A REAL sling for rifle CONTROL would be web or leather. The web slings are available for $20 or so on the big auction site, and work KILLER. They are generally what we recommend to everyone for High Power matches. The leather slings are a bit more complicated to use, but work really well. They are both 1.25" wide. They are designed to SNUG around the weak arm above the bicep, to wrap the weak arm around so it forms a triangle between the upper arm, the front swivel, and the stock in your shoulder. This is the way the High Power (and Appleseed) folks shoot so well at 100, 200, 300, and 600 yards. These can also be used as "hasty" slings that do not take time to prepare around the weak arm. When purposely wrapped around the arm, they are called "deliberate" slings (NRA, CMP, Appleseed).

Start with a $20 web sling (like at eBay Store - M1 Garand: Garand, M1 Carbine, 1903 1903A3 1903A4) 1903 M1 Garand Sling. Check YouTube for videos on the use. If you decide you like it, you might want to try a leather sling, a 1907 Garand/Springfield. The BEST is a Turner brand (like Champion's Choice - Detail1 - CCS54B - TURNER MILITARY LEATHER SLING - BLACK (54") - Slings and Accessories - Champion's Choice).

Good luck!

choice of slings

I have a Vickers sling from Blue Force Gear. It is pricey, but excellent quality and it does the job. j3313

For the rimfires, just get the standard 1 1/4" M1 garand sling with the quick clip from Midway USA, or 'prolly the Appleseed Store still has some. Under $15 each usually. Works perfect for an Appleseed. Get a quick detach swivel for the front so you can leave the sling on your arm. I never bothered with the hasty sling at Davilla in June--I just shot the sling looped on the support arm the whole time and it worked fine.

For a tactical sling, such as you might put on an AR, look at Magpul's sling. It's very nice for the price--at least as good as the Vickers gear, and converts quickly from 2-pt to single pt rapidly.

I use the old military style sling on most all my long guns except on my 06 I hunt with, has padded sling with six bullet holders & all has detachtable swivels
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Make your own. There's a how to on ar15.com

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, I ended up with the Viking VTAC with a quick release on my AR. Since I already got some practice with one of these at the Marine Corps 3-Gun Match, I know I like that sling. I have the lower end Magpul carbine stock (the one without the swivel socket), so I didn't get the Larue, but that's not a big deal.

As for the .22s, due mostly to waiting a bit too long to try and order something online, I ended up picking up a couple of basic nylon rifle slings at Bass Pro. Probably not what I should have, alas, but they worked decently for sighting the rifles in, at least. Maybe they'll have some GI slings available at the event...

Thanks for the input, folks. Appleseed is this weekend!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links