Emergency Radio?

Emergency Radio?

This is a discussion on Emergency Radio? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search and couldn't find anything in particular on this topic, so decided to open the thread and see what comes up. In ...

Thread: Emergency Radio?

Emergency Radio?

I did a search and couldn't find anything in particular on this topic, so decided to open the thread and see what comes up.

In the event of a SHTF scenario, or some type of Weather scenario, where communications are lost based on lack of electricity, etc., does everyone have some type of "emergency radio" to keep up with weather, status of the area, public services, emergency services, etc.??????

I personally just ordered/received a Kaito KA-007 radio. It is a self powered multiband (AM, FM World Receiver with TV, Weather, VHF Public Service Band, Taxi and Business). For power it has NI-MH batteries internal which can be charged by a Dynamo Cranking Generator, Solar Power, AC/DC adapter, or can run off AA Batteries External, Solar Direct Power, or 110V Electric Direct Power. Compact in size to be easily carried most anywhere.

I think trying to keep up with what is going on around us in a SHTF situation or Weather emergency would be beneficial to our SD status.
    What say everyone?
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

A police scanner is a great tool to have. Just make sure you don't take it with you in the car, pretty much every state has outlawed scanners in a vehicle. Before purchasing one make sure your local PD hasn't gone to all digital mode which prevent some scanners from picking up transmissions. There may be a local scanner club in your area that could tell you.

The GMRS type two-way radios are good for 2-way comms, though distance is limited. If you're willing to get your ham license (and family members too if you want to communicate with them), then the no-code technician lets you use 2-meter ham band (as well as others) for good local comms.

Don't overlook CB radio, either. A good base station (Galaxy has a nice unit) along with 2-3 portable units can make a pretty good comm net.

4 Scanners (2 base 2 mobile)
    1 Weather alert radio
    3 Power outage controlled weather radios
    4 Hand held 2 ways with weather freq monitoring

Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post

I personally just ordered/received a Kaito KA-007 radio. It is a self

What say everyone?
    The Kaito is great for shortwave. Don't forget the amateur radio networks, ex. 14300.net that will give situational awareness.

Speaking of amateur radio, consider getting your license. There are clubs closeby, probably, that offer classes or may have a member that will help you learn the ropes.

Click the link and look for clubs and classes near you.

I hope you find that helpful.
    Lloyd Colston KC5FM
    Altus, OK USA http://wx5em.us
    http://kc5fm.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    A police scanner is a great tool to have. Just make sure you don't take it with you in the car, pretty much every state has outlawed scanners in a vehicle.
    Scanner Laws

Before purchasing one make sure your local PD hasn't gone to all digital mode which prevent some scanners from picking up transmissions. There may be a local scanner club in your area that could tell you.
    Also make sure that any P25 capable scanner is rebanding-ready. Otherwise you may find yourself with a digital scanner that won't work when the 800 MHz rebanding is completed.

The GMRS type two-way radios are good for 2-way comms, though distance is limited. If you're willing to get your ham license (and family members too if you want to communicate with them), then the no-code technician lets you use 2-meter ham band (as well as others) for good local comms.
    2m/440 is a good mobile radio to have for local comms.

I have a TecSun PL550, Yaesu dual band HT w/Diamond SRH77CA, a rolled up N9TAX jpole, and RS PRO-97 with several band specific duckies in a comm bag in my truck for mobile comms. Tons of extra Ni-MH batts and packs too. Just got my tech ticket a week ago. Going to swap out the PL550 for a DEGEN DE-1103 for SSB reception as soon as I find one that is being sold state side.

In the house, have NOAA, HF, GPRS/FMS handhelds, GRE PSR 500 and Uniden 785D. Don't yet have a dedicated desktop SWR, but the ICOM IC-718 rig serves in that purpose.

I'm not really a HAM per-se but a person needs to know what's going on in an emergency when there's still time for informed choices.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by kc5fm View Post
    14300.net that will give situational awareness.

I hope you find that helpful.
    I have. Thank you for sharing, and welcome to the board from Fulton county, GA.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

For Christmas last year I got one of those Eton units they sell at places like Radio Shack. AM/FM/weather band. Solar cell and hand crank for power. It also has a nice little mini USB port that you can use to charge cell phones.
    For two way I have some FRS/GMRS radios and a couple of GMRS Freq'd Motorola MT1000s.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

emergency radio

Ham Radio ticket and communications

All good advice already given. But want to add a few things.

As noted earlier, some states have problems with scanners in vehicles. Typically you will find though that if you have a ham license then you would be exempt. Be sure to double check your laws and don't take my word for it. IANAL.

Getting your ham ticket is very easy. No, no requirement for morse code any longer. The Technician test, the entry level exam, is 30 questions that mostly cover rules and regulations applying to ham radio. Very few technical questions, and those that are can be learned very quickly.

Another good reason to obtain your ham license is that when the feces hits the rotational air circulation device and the cell networks are saturated or dead you will still be able to communicate. Across a neighborhood, a city, a state, the planet if necessary.

That being said I EDC a Yaesu VX-8R quad-band ham radio that also covers public service bands, WX, Shortwave, and is basically a DC-to-daylight scanner/receiver. Kinda the ultimate flexibility for both a scanner/reciever and for emergency communications.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    For a general emergency bag I keep a set of Motorola EM1000’s. They have a rechargeable battery that can be replaced with 3 AA batteries; it can also be recharged with a mini USB cable. My Jeep has a USB port, I also have a solar cell that has a USB port as well as a AC/DC to USB power supply in my bag with the set. As far as the radio itself goes it has FRS and GMRS as well as weather band with weather alert (Will automatically kick over from 2way to WX when the emergency signal is sounded).

My Jeep has a Radio Shack scanner HF/VHF/UHF W/Weather Alert.
    A Cobra CB that can monitor weather.
    A Mobile Yaesu FT-857D (HF/VHF/UHF/Ham Satellites) 2 way radio 200Watts Unlocked(Programmed to transmit (Govt. Frequencies in a emergency only) and receive police, fire, Aviation, weather, CB (High Power for emergencies only, WILL be heard by every CB on Gulf Coast to North Carolina), Bridge to Bridge (Coast Guard), all local repeaters, FRS and GMRS)
    2 ICOM T81 Handheld Radios VHF/UHF Quad band (Unlocked) Programmed with same Frequencies as FT-857D but at 5Watts. They can be recharged by Jeep or Solar Power.
    Satellite Radio (Sirius) when the Local Radio Stations go down I can still get the news (Not-Withstanding that I can hear Short Wave Radio with 3 different radios)

----------------------------------------------------

For the Non-Ham I recommend a Radio Shack Police Scanner HF/VHF/UHF, EM-1000 (2way FRS-GMRS/Weather radio), Hand Crank AM/FM Radio, Handheld CB, If you live in a Coastal/Hurricane Area also a handheld Bridge to Bridge to talk to Coast Guard/Coast Guard Helo’s. And a 12V/solar AA battery recharger with lots of rechargeable AA’s. In an emergency Power becomes an issue very quickly, when the batteries go dead do you have a backup plan, or backup power.

[Upon being introduced to Burt's anti-tank rifle]
    Earl Bassett: Man Burt, you put a whole new shine on the word 'overkill'.
    Burt Gummer: When you need it, and don't have it... you sing a different tune.
    Overkill is for when you are sitting around comfortably in your PJ’s, when the SHTF you never have enough.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

--------------------------------

You can usually for your local laws on scanners by googling Police Scanner and your state. To get your license here are a few links.

This link is for Books on the different levels of exam
    ARRLWeb: ARRL's License Manual Series

This link is the Official Question Pool that the Exam is written from.
    ARRLWeb: Amateur Exam Question Pools

This link is where you can find Ham Radio Classes.
    ARRLWeb: Licensing Class Search

This link will tell you where and when you can take your exam.
    ARRLWeb: Exam Session Search

This will open up a world that some of us consider fun and helpful when things go bad after a Hurricane.

-----------------

One last thought: a Cell is useless in a 911 or a Katrina type situation. In an area wide event the cell network will be overloaded immediately, and the cell becomes a paperweight when the power (Generator) at the tower runs out.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Ham radio is my primary non-telephone comms. Works great for pretty much everything I need. I can get broadcast radio, SW, some cover the tv audio, international comms, etc. Been a ham since '92. It's a fun hobby.

VIP Member
    IMO, this is something we should ALL have, one kind or another.

Me, I have dept issued portable and I can get all our PD, FD, EOC, weather spotters, Streets dept, Traffic dept, 8 surrounding counties, 1 adjacent city PD, and 3 channels used by the DPS in our area. I've used this when off-duty to listen to the EOC/weather spotters and it was a great asset.

IMO, get a portable scanner first before getting one hooked up in the vehicle. Get one like recommended by others with multiple power options. Frequencies are available in book form or online to program them.
    I'm looking at getting a scanner also, just for this purpose.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I forgot that I also have three C.B. radios and one Icom VHF marine portable with WX also.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Sponsored Links