Thoughts On Pepper Spray.

This is a discussion on Thoughts On Pepper Spray. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taken From The Web. One or two interesting questions posed here. I should answer by saying that I DO carry OC Spray but, mostly for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On Pepper Spray.

Administrator

Taken From The Web.
    One or two interesting questions posed here.
    I should answer by saying that I DO carry OC Spray but, mostly for the Four Legged Attack Aminals...whoops! "Animals" that might try to attack my Cocker Spaniel "Beulah" which has happened once already.
    I can also envision OC Spray as having some possible merit for multiple teeny~bopper~trouble~maker~type~attackers & certain "Road Rage" Type Scenarios. Anyway...here is the post:

"Pepper spray as "proof" of restraint?
    Got to say I've never considered carrying pepper spray, but this recently came to mind;

Do any of you carry OC as a way to show proof that you had other "tools" from a legal perspective?
    The saying goes, if your only tool is a hammer, everything is a nail. Perhaps carrying Pepper Spray gives you the escalation option?

Do you feel it may make you look like someone *looking* for trouble (from a lawyers point of view)?

I'd be interested to see why those of you who carry/or don't have made that choice."

I carry alternative SD products but NOT for the court process or a stupid lawyer.

I have been carrying a 900,000 volt pocket taser the size of a credit card and thinner than most cell phones that will flat get at it when lit up. I would never want to take a hit from this thing.

I also carry OC spray too most of the time, I feel both products are a great non-lethal solution to a lot of situations that do not require deadly force.

I also Train in Tenshin Aikido for a very affective non-lethal means of protection and was my only means of defense before Missouri became shall issue.

I am looking into ASP expandable batons as well as one of those stingers for other means of protection also. A gun does not solve a lot of problems one might and probably will encounter out in the jungle. I carry alternatives for these reasons.

I don't know the statistics or even if there is any but to me it seems that a non-lethal altercation, or a run in with the stray dog, or a bunch of punk kids acting stupid, or road rage, etc, are way more likely to happen than a deadly force situation. So to me they are a must have and pick and choose to what fits your situation best to carry.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; April 7th, 2006 at 10:18 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I carry Pepper spray along with my ccw and a knife. I want to be able to address any threat that comes at me and always look for the a way to handle it at the lowest possible level. I do not want to ever have to pull my gun unless it is the only way to save my or my loved ones life, If I can take care of the threat with spray great, but if I can take care of it by walking or running the other way better yet.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I trust my Sabre Red OC,
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Assistant Administrator
    Following QK's mention of the Fox a while ago I got a couple and will have one with me at times. The other is for my wife to have available.

I certainly would first wish to escape a situation but if that is not an option then the OC spray is good to have as an intermediate option which just might prevent resorting to the gun.

It could also be regarded I guess as a ''step to gaining the gun'' in certain situations, where its use might give a vital edge prior to having decided that the gun is required.

It represents just one of our choices and definitely has its place.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I carry the stuff for the same reason, QK. I generally only carry it when I'm out for a walk or biking. You just can't intimidate a K9 out of a fight . While it is probably legal to shoot one that is attacking you, there's generally no LE paperwork involved in using OC.
    Plus the dog runs home and the ignorant owner that lets it roam free on the streets gets a small dose himself.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I Love This Forum It really is a wonderful Education in and of it self!!.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lead Moderator
    OC for me too. better to spray someone if possible over having to shoot.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I carry my gun, my Cold Steel 4" tanto, and my Fox 5.3 stream with 'cop top'. Fox is for empty hand attacks or dogs standing at range. The knife is for drastic weapon retention and last resort. The gun is for the ugly stuff. Nice to have options.

I will use whatever force is necessary. I don't need to prove anything except for there was an imminent threat to my life or the lives of others, there was a weapon to carry out that threat, and there was a means of delivering that threat. That is all. I don't need to use any fancy try this and then this crap. The attacker(s) dictates what level of force I use. I don't have to choose. They make the decision for me. I just interpret the threat and select the appropriate bad guy stopper. Simple as that.

The Fox has been used on dogs many times.

Go to make a delivery (I'm a pizza jockey for now). Dog greets me with teeth showing and hair standing up. Fox 5.3 the eyes and snout and dog runs off with tail between legs. Only once did one dog have enough b**s to come back for more. In that case he got a swift kick in the throat, field goal style. Owner apologized and tipped me $20 for my inconvience. Haven't seen the dog anymore since.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

So, when would you use OC or pepper on a human? To me, it looks like the effective range is 10 feet or less. A person can close 20 feet in just a few seconds. Even someone who is blinded by OC could tackle or grapple with you, and now your gun option is in jeopardy.

I personally would not carry or use OC because it could cause me to lose precious seconds deciding if my attacker was about to pose a lethal threat to me or not.

But that's just me, I haven't had any practical or tactical training in the proper use of OC so maybe I don't understand fully.

We carry OC most of the time, or try to remember to.....

I work in a Jail and we are issued O/C. I have had it fail more times then work. I should add that the times that I had to use it was not on drug out folks. It was on Inmates that had been there awhile.

The other reason I'm not a big fan of O/C is. You can't control the wind factor out doors. You stand a far chance of O/C yourself.

Brian

Senior Moderator
    I would see the OC as a good tool against dogs. I have serious reservations about OC as a civilian tool against a potential human attacker for reasons already mentioned - potential loss of time, may not work, may get you as well as the BG.

Plus, it's another decision to make, and I'm not so sure that it wouldn't exacerbate a bad situation. Think what you'd do if someone sprayed or tried to spray you.

Or you draw your OC, the BG sees it, steps back and draws a knife or gun.

The jury's still out on OC for me.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I carry bear spray and it works quite well to about 5m (15') in the big can and will effect someone in direct contact out to 30' My wife keeps it nearby when I am out of town. this is a picture of me using up an old can (3 years) as part of keeping up my training for bear defence.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    had and used oc when i was LE i see no use for it in civilian life because i can walk away before it gets to that level , and if it escilates to that level then it is going to escilate further . as far as feral dogs go in my area shooting " fluffy " ( you know that 160 lb rottweiler or pitbull ) will at most cost me 40 bucks in muni court for improperly discharging a firearm in city limits and that is a worse case deal out here lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links