Whats the best LED Flashlight ever?

This is a discussion on Whats the best LED Flashlight ever? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cause I am buying one. I want bright, small enough to carry in a holster, and an LED that wont burn out. I want the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best LED Flashlight ever?

Whats the best LED Flashlight ever?

Cause I am buying one. I want bright, small enough to carry in a holster, and an LED that wont burn out. I want the best there is. Give me some suggestions.

My wife says I have a flashlight fetish
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't have any suggestions but have been thinking about a similar acquisition and will be interested in the results as well. To go with your question, I'm interested in knowing how good the light distance is on the LEDs.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have a Brinkmann Maxxfire Wal Mart special that I got for $17.99. Runs great. Bright enough for me to find addresses from 25y away (I'm a pizza jockey). I would like to get a Surefire Outdoorsman, but $100 for a freaking flashlight?? Sorry, "illumination tool". No thanks. For thank kind of money it better clean my gun too!!

Edited to add:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev..._maxfirelx.htm
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

First I'll say, that I'm still looking for the best.

Until then I have been pretty happy with my Gladuis and Surefires. I have also been happy with my Fenix.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1

I have also been happy with my Fenix.

Brian
    Is that the Fenix L1P that runs on an AA? Want to post a report on the site on it? A lot of folks have asked about it, and I'd like to see areport on one. Thanks!

See this link:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ighlight=Fenix

Done deal.

Assistant Administrator
    I have to say, despite an approx $50 price tag, the LED head I put on my E1e is superb. OK small light but, dead easy for carry and anyone who has had the light in their eyes even at a good few feet distance - sees stars!

Battery life is so extended and no rapid fall-off either. I ran one battery down to below 2.7V and still had a surprising amount of dazzle even tho throw was (obviously) reduced.

I expect on the E2e even better.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The best for what?

My current light setup is a Surefire Aviator in red LED and a Fenix 1LP in the pocket. I'm not sold on LED for threat ID and the light is too unnatural for me, but my Fenix is an awesome workllght.

The red leds on the A2 allow lowlight ID without ruining my NV when walking the dog at night and while hiking/camping.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I feel that alot of people purchase a Surefire brand thinking that these are the only small,sturdy,bright,lights out there.

I'm sure the lights are well made. If you drop the light and a concrete truck happens to run over it,it will survive. Slamed in a safe door,it will live. Emersed in water....well almost all little lights will live through that.

I don't endorse a light for self defense purposes except for TARGET ID. For that you need a very bright light. (the brighter the better)

For me it's the most lumens for the buck. It has to be reasonably sturdy. Waterproof. Batteries and parts have to be easily obtainable. Can't be too big OR too small. A snap on red filter and a snap on blue filter(blood tracking) would be a plus also. Fairly well made light holder that rides "right" on the belt would be great also.(although I pocket mine) Color ?,hell that's what spray paint is used for. Plus,it looks distintive with a little wear(just like your carry weapon).

Pick the light that has the features that you need (real or imagined)to do the job that you think (feel) will need to be done. If you feel that you will need the light to save your life someday,then purchase it as you would your firearm or blade.

I would just reccommend that before you run down to the Surefire store,look around. Their are other choices. Lights with allot more lumens for allot less money.

How about a light that puts out 180 lumens for 50 bucks. Takes standard batteries. 90 minute run time. CNC machined- aluminum anodized construction.Red,green,or blue,filters available. Waterproof. Etc,etc. This works for me. ---------

Senior Moderator
    Some top choices in LED lights are the Surefire L2, U2, the Gladius, and I have to include the Streamlight TLR-1 & 2.

The SF L2 and U2 are very expensive. The L2 has a larger "circle" of illumination and less "throw", but it's really good for lighting up most of a room. I have no experience with the U2, but have heard some good things about it.

For longer ranges the Gladius is hard to beat. It is more focused with a very bright, but small center, and of course has a broader but less intense beam around the center beam. It dims and brightens and even strobes and is surprisingly easy to use.

An Inova is a good LED light; it's relatively bright and much less expensive than the SFs and Gladius. It has a relative tight focus.

The new Streamlight TLR 1 & 2 WMLs are simply great. They have as bright of an LED light as just about anything out there. The beam is well focused and clean and pure white. The TLR-1 sells for about $100. It could be used as a handheld or WML so that's a plus for it as well.

The TLR-2 is the same as the TLR-1 except it also has a laser and is commensurably more expensive.

This may be good to know. I have yet to see an LED light that will match the brightness and illumination clarity of a Xenon bulb light. For example, Streamlight makes a TL-3 and TL-3 LED and they have exactly the same housing, but the -3 is xenon and the -3 LED, is obviously and LED. There's simply no comparison other than you can't tell the difference in looking them physically. The TL-3 is almost as bright as the much larger Streamlight Ultra flash light. You can see details better with a Xenon bulb than an LED for two reasons. The Xenon light is simply brighter, and has much better color rendering than an LED and hence you can see more detail.

The Inova XO3 is the one I really like. The price is better them Stream Light comperable offerings and the machine work is fantastic.
    Last edited by blacksan; April 8th, 2006 at 08:20 PM.

candlepowerforums.com has more flashlight knowledge and opinions than you can shake a stick at. flashlightreviews.com, as mentioned above, is also very good.

Regards,

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Holy Crap!!!!! A whole forum devoted to flashlights.!!!!! Now I will never get the lawn mowed this summer, I have too many forums to keep up with!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I have one Surefire G2, it's not LED and produces 65 lumens for 60 minutes. I also have the E1L Outdoorsmen, it is LED and puts out 25 lumens for 4 hours. In a side by side comparison they both seem to be just as bright despite the difference in lumens. But the xenon lamp G2 is easier to see at longer distances. I love them both and I'll stick with the Surefire brand.

The Surefire U2 is an amazing LED light with adjustble output -- making it VERY versatile. I love it.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links