Fiber Optic or XS Big Dot Sights?

This is a discussion on Fiber Optic or XS Big Dot Sights? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I was pretty much thinking of going with Big Dots for my aging (Farsighted) eyes, but have read good things about Novak wide notch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Optic or XS Big Dot Sights?

Fiber Optic or XS Big Dot Sights?

Hi,

I was pretty much thinking of going with Big Dots for my aging (Farsighted) eyes, but have read good things about Novak wide notch fiber optic sights. Opinions? Mainly for self defense and shooting inside of 25 yards in an indoor range. Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

If SD is included in the mix, go with (tritium) Big Dots. Without good overhead ambient light, fiber optics can't glow. Fiber optics really shine (pardon the pun) on sport/competition guns where they can pick-up the daylight AND where a failure may cost you some points...but no blood. Tritium Big Dots are generally tougher & more applicable to SD. What handgun are you considering for installation?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    If SD is included in the mix, go with (tritium) Big Dots. Without good overhead ambient light, fiber optics can't glow. Fiber optics really shine (pardon the pun) on sport/competition guns where they can pick-up the daylight AND where a failure may cost you some points...but no blood. Tritium Big Dots are generally tougher & more applicable to SD. What handgun are you considering for installation?

A G26 for now. And maybe a M&P .45 in the future.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

G26? That's Big Dot territory for sure. Consider the standard size (rather than large) front dot. It has the same size tritium vial with a slightly narrower white surrounding outline. On a short slide (G26) the standard dot should be plenty big enough to see & align AND the standard size dot lessens the "snagability" on clothes, etc. during rapid presentation.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have XS 24/7 Big dots on my H&K USP's. The only thing I will say is that you need a good 500 rounds or better through the gun with those sights to acclimate yourself to the system.

They call it "making the ice cream cone" due to the single vertical white line on the rear site. The front sight is without a doubt easily picked up due to it's size and it's white appearance during daylight hours.

I shot low for a good 200-300 rounds untill I got used "making the ice cream cone" with the front sight aligned just atop of the vertical line on the rear sight.

Once you get it, you'll not really like standard sights anymore.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I've got the Big Dot on my Glock 27. Very, very pleased with it.

Never heard of it called "making the ice cream cone"... good one.

I'll stick with "Dot the I"... Less words for my small brain!

ajgranda, I like the Big Dot for SD. If you wanna it to do double duty as a range gun..then the small dot would be a better choice. Like everyone has said...after a short practice session, you'll probably never go back to conventional sights. They really are quick to pick up and put on target.
    Bob

Glock 30sf Ruger LCP Remington 870 HD Hi-Point 995TS Sig 556

"I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"--SGT T

I have a Big Dot on my G27. I believe it's Gunsite that does "old man sights" a rounded out special cut Novak rear with a Big Dot up front.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

It looks like it is Rogers Precision. I bet the rear could be purchased.

XS Big Dots on my G26. Love em!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

EW3
    I have the Big Dots on my SIG P239 and really like them. In fact I'm going to get them for my two home guns; an H&K USP45 and a SIG Pro.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member
    Listen to semperfi.45.

I have big dots on both of my M&P compacts and only regret that I have the same big dot vertical bar system on the rear.

The front is just what I wanted, but the rear isn't worth the expense and may be the reason for my learning curve with the XS Big Dot system.

One thing about the vertical bar, though, is that it has a distinct glow that makes it hard to confuse the front and rear sights in the dark. I'm willing to point shoot with the one big dot in the dark.

My preference for a rear sight would be a half-moon or V-notch with a tritium outline. That would be distinct but allow a lower front sight picture.

My boss said he doesn't need a flashlight - the muzzle flash works fine.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I switched from XS and regular fiber optics to TFO's - you get night sights and fiber optics in one sight. It's almost unfair using them. I have the on 6 of my Glocks.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I have actually seen some NEW sights that are BIG and the rear sight is the base of a pyramid with the front sight completing the tip of the triangle. Look very interesting but I don't know the brand name. Anybody got a clue to them?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links