Carrying Spare Mag in My Pocket...

This is a discussion on Carrying Spare Mag in My Pocket... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it okay to carry my spare mag in my front pocket without a nylon/leather cover? Or will my body heat damage the ammo? Looked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Spare Mag in My Pocket...

Is it okay to carry my spare mag in my front pocket without a nylon/leather cover?

Or will my body heat damage the ammo?

Looked for this question but couldn't find it...thanks!

The biggest problem is pocket lint getting in your magazine. In a tight spot it would be better than running dry in an altercation.

OK? Yes. Advisable? No.

In addition to lint getting in there, there is the issue of - what position will the mag be in when you try to grab it?

You need something that will hold the mag in position, so when you go to grab it, it will be oriented properly, and consistently. You don't want it jangling around loose in your pocket.

Abetterholster makes a dual mag pocket wallet holster - holds two single stack mags. For double stack mags, things are a bit more of a challenge if you want it in your pocket. I use a Smartcarry, so I can carry a spare mag very easily - and it is always oriented properly.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    You can pull your pocket inside out & use one of those sticky lint rollers to de-lint your pocket. That takes care of the lint problem.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You can pull your pocket inside out & use one of those sticky lint rollers to de-lint your pocket. That takes care of the lint problem.
    Wash and dry them with the pockets pull inside out as well.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Cool, that's a smart idea!

I'm going to keep the mag in a pocket by itself - consequently, I'll have to keep my Blackberry, wallet and keys in my other pocket.

I don't want to have to fumble between my cell and the magazine. I've practiced it a few times, walking around, and I've been able to grab the mag in the same position. It's a doublestack.

Do not put anything else in the pocket with the mag. Also, be aware of rounds possible dislodging for the mag.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I was carrying my mag in my front pocket until one day I went to do some target shooting and got 2 rounds into that mag and had a failure to feed. The round was jammed one bullet diameter down in the mag. It never made it to the top to get grabbed by the slide. The mag got tore down and cleaned and a mag holder got ordered that day.

If I had to carry a mag in my pocket I would strip it down and clean every week at the longest.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Your body temp is about 98.6F, no that won't hurt the ammo. I would find a IWB single carrier and use that.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    I know ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes but... for me, a magazine in my pocket isn't too tactically accessible.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Your body temp is about 98.6F, no that won't hurt the ammo. I would find a IWB single carrier and use that.
    Ditto on that one, its been as hot as 128degrees over here and the heat didnt damage any of my ammo..

Dont worry about body heat, worry about mag position and pocket lint clogging up your mag.

I don't think loose pocket carry is a good idea. Murphy's Law will always win in a gunfight. When the adrenaline dump hits, you'll be lucky to be able to grasp the magazine, let alone fumble it around in your hand to get in into position to get it in the gun. You will want it to be in the same place in the same orientation every time you reach for it.

If you want to test your gear, get everything on (gun and all mags empty, please!) and sprint 100 yards, then turn around and sprint in the opposite direction, draw your weapon and try to do a reload while running. This will approximate what it will be like in a fight. Reloading in a fight will not be like reloading at the range.

I wear carpenter's jeans almost all the time. I keep the spare mag in the rule/tool pocket with pen and surefire. I was thinking of cutting out a piece of cloth from the leg of an old pair of the same jeans, and sewing it on on my left leg (the jeans) . . . perhaps bellows the top part of the pocket or make it 'v'cut and velcro a flap over the top for retention. Perhaps I'll make it a double wide! Perhaps a pen slot just to keep the more alert sheeple fooled.
    H@H

I carry a spare magazine in my back pocket weak side quite often.

I have done it on occasion, but normally use a mag holder. In the front pocket is usually a couple of extras for travel to 'Orlando' (the extra mag town).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links