I need a concealment jacket for a tall guy

This is a discussion on I need a concealment jacket for a tall guy within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry IWB at about 4 o'clock and have a hard time dressing to conceal in general. I'm sorta taller (6'4") and clock in around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a concealment jacket for a tall guy

I carry IWB at about 4 o'clock and have a hard time dressing to conceal in general. I'm sorta taller (6'4") and clock in around 240lb with a little squish around the middle. My problem stems from my own dress style in that my pants aren't worn around my waist but rather quite low on my hips. Usually it's not a problem as I order extra long T-shirts and wear an extra long plaid shirt and just make sure I don't bend over real far or squat when carrying.

Living in the Phoenix, AZ area I don't worry about wearing a jacket very often as it's usually T-shirt weather year round for me. But I do travel to colder climates and now need a jacket. I spent all day driving to stores and trying on jacket after jacket and can't find one that meets exactly what I need so I was hoping someone here might know of something.
    My jacket needs,
    1. canvas preferably but possibly leather. Nothing made from plastic/denim/flannel
    2. Unlined or very lightly lined as it's just a cover garment, not really for warmth.
    My favorite jackets were the Carhartt chore jacket but it was about 3-4" shorter then I'd like and it was lined with a heavy blanket.

any suggestions?

Try LL Bean. They have a tall line that may work for you.

I like their parka's with the removable liners. More than cover whatever I need it to.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

An unlined Carhartt for big and tall perhaps?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Big & Tall shops or a tailor who can make something long enough to suit you.
    I am petite(5'4") but also short waisted, so I wear low rise pants as well. Standard rise put the waistband at the bottom of my ribcage, and the grip of my firearm up in my armpit, that just doesn't work so well for me. I choose longer length tops and jackets for the same reason you do, but on a small scale. Most of the time I can find something in the stores that covers what I want to cover, if not for me it's easy enough to make something myself that will be long enough to do the job.
    If the Big & Tall departments don't have what you need, you might consider having something "made to order".
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    An unlined Carhartt for big and tall perhaps?
    couldn't find one at any of the stores I went to and their site doesn't list any of them for unlined as an option. Are the liners removable for their stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Try LL Bean. They have a tall line that may work for you.

I like their parka's with the removable liners. More than cover whatever I need it to.
    Will try LL bean, thanks.

JDL
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratispho View Post
    I carry IWB at about 4 o'clock and have a hard time dressing to conceal in general. I'm sorta taller (6'4") and clock in around 240lb with a little squish around the middle. My problem stems from my own dress style in that my pants aren't worn around my waist but rather quite low on my hips. Usually it's not a problem as I order extra long T-shirts and wear an extra long plaid shirt and just make sure I don't bend over real far or squat when carrying.

Living in the Phoenix, AZ area I don't worry about wearing a jacket very often as it's usually T-shirt weather year round for me. But I do travel to colder climates and now need a jacket. I spent all day driving to stores and trying on jacket after jacket and can't find one that meets exactly what I need so I was hoping someone here might know of something.
    My jacket needs,
    1. canvas preferably but possibly leather. Nothing made from plastic/denim/flannel
    2. Unlined or very lightly lined as it's just a cover garment, not really for warmth.
    My favorite jackets were the Carhartt chore jacket but it was about 3-4" shorter then I'd like and it was lined with a heavy blanket.

any suggestions?
    Look at Concealed Carry Clothiers.
    They have some vests that work well. I use one and am 6'6" and 240.

Trying this one for starters
    Duck Utility Jacket, Men's Clothing, Dakota at Sportsman's Guide

Didn't look too thickly lined and thick enough not to print through when carrying. Might be able to carry OWB and get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL View Post
    Look at Concealed Carry Clothiers.
    They have some vests that work well. I use one and am 6'6" and 240.
    Great looking vests. Definitely better then most. If they had jackets I'd look more into them but I'm just not a vest sort of guy.

Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment

One of the holster places in my town sells the vests and jackets. They are really great. I bought my father-in-law a vest and he needed a tall and it fit perfectly.

I just got this one:
    What Price Glory - UK Belted Bush Jackets (Khaki)
    Full length (covers your entire backside), lightweight, big pockets, sturdy cotton. Belt is removable. Since you're a taller guy, you'd probably want to order a long.

try Sportsmans Guide

Sportsmans Guide carries a lot of jackets, various linings, some with big and tall sizes. check them out. also, Duluth Trading Post has some high end stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc522 View Post
    Sportsmans Guide carries a lot of jackets, various linings, some with big and tall sizes. check them out. also, Duluth Trading Post has some high end stuff.
    ordered a jacket from them. Got it in yesterday. Wolverine Yellowstone Jacket, Buckskin, Men's Clothing, Wolverine at Sportsman's Guide

The jacket has no liner but the canvas is THICK. Really stiff stuff, unfortunately it's cut funny. I was able to get it in XL and the shoulders and coat length are great but the arms end around my mid forearm so it's getting sent back. Those of you without gorilla arms it will be a good jacket though. Hits me about the bottom of my butt curve. Unbuttoned it would be very quick to access my gun with just sweeping the side back.

I also ordered this jacket in 2XL and it seems to be great so far.
    Duck Utility Jacket, Men's Clothing, Dakota at Sportsman's Guide
    Really good length, not quite as stiff canvas, lots of pockets to carry things and the arms zip off if you want a vest.

BunnyWabbit, that place looks great but the 2 jackets are both well over $400 so out of my budget. Very nice looking buffalo jacket though. There conceal and carry vest might work for me in the summer when I'm riding the motorcycle. - Thanks

Geronimo45, looks like more what I had in mind. I'll check em out. -Thanks!

Johnc522, will keep browsing their stuff. I also ordered this and got it in with the other jackets yesterday. 2 New Dutch Navy Work Jackets, Navy, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified, New Never Issued Dutch Military Naval Navy Surplus Work Jacket Coat Outerwear Cotton Polyester Snap Front Epaulets at Sportsman's Guide

I think these are going to be my winter "jackets" if I can remove the military markings and the shoulder loops without ruining the jacket. Winters are pretty light here with days in the mid 50's on a really bad day so these lightweight one's should be perfect.

Thanks all.

Try this!!! I have one! Very nice jacket and is EXACTLY what your descibing you want!

SIG Store
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Sorry....figured I better add this too..... Leather version, but not 3/4 length.

SIG Store
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links