First Light Tomahawk review

This is a discussion on First Light Tomahawk review within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay. Well, i went to the IDPA Nationals this year and there were two stages where one had to use a flashlight. I brought my ...

Thread: First Light Tomahawk review

Okay. Well, i went to the IDPA Nationals this year and there were two stages where one had to use a flashlight. I brought my own knowing that there are always dark house/night stages. When i arrived there I was going around introducing myself to various people. Two of them were the reps from First Light. I found out that they sponsored the dark house stage and that we all had to use their lights. So, the next day i made sure to go to their table to get familiar with the light I was going to have to use. They had a couple of blue guns of different makes than mine so I borrowed that to try out the grip with. I immediately found that the Tomahawk, the light in question, was by far the easiest light to get a two handed grip that I've ever tried. By twisting the index finger loop a bit and angling the light a bit, this placing the grip part of the light on the front of the gripping hand fingers, I was able to get a decent two handed grip that was comfortable and was stable enough that the light stayed in place and on target. I liked it so much that I went and bought one. i got the ST version as I wanted a light that had a strobe function. it was a bit more than I really wanted to spend but i figured that good light, that works well, is worth the cost.

Here are some images of the light.

Oh, the build of it is good and it has a nice solid feel. It runs on two CR123 cells.

First Light USA
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Senior Moderator
    Interesting. How much did it cost?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Very nice! I considered the Tomahawk but decided to purchase the Liberator. I use it on duty at work while clearing a building or on a traffic stop. Before buying the light I called FirstLightUSA with some questions and got to speak with the President of the company. It was his candor and answers to my questions that sold me on the light and company.

I thought I was good with a Mag-lite and pistol clearing a house, now I can function without having to put the Mag-lite under my arm.

Both lights are very sturdy and will last many years of abuse. I like the light so much I take it off of my duty belt after work and it sits on my night stand with my duty pistol in case I have to clear my own house at night. Additionally I use my Liberator with my MP40, AR-15 and my Wingmaster...no problems at all lighting up targets, handling magzine changes, racking the shotgun or taking hold of a BG and putting cuffs on them!
    Last edited by dhshark; October 10th, 2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Grammar

here is the link that has their prices on it.

First Light USA

The model i got shows for $180. I got mine for $144. I'm guessing it was a discount for those at Nationals.

As for the Liberator, I see where it would be convenient to have for some situations but it is larger and would seem to be much harder to carry around for the average Joe.

Agreed Jualdeaux, 100%.

I met the same folk during the 2008 IDPA Winternationals and subsequent to that had opportunity to spend 2 hrs. running their product during a One on One customized session as toward low light & no-light self and home defense techniques.

I came to the exact same conclusion, and I got to use both the Tomahawk and the Liberator as personally owned by the instructor. I'd brought my Gladius which then was to me brand new by roughly a year.
    I'm familiar with other product including Surefire and hands down the Liberator and Tomahawk are by far easiest and most natural as well as flexible to handle.

For my own situation as a civilian I'd run with the Tomahawk, hands down.

I have not purchased the unit though, yet.
    Only because at nearly $200 retail it's cost is too high for me to justify. I'd got my Gladius for far less asnew, albeit through a hookup.

A good product and ergo design though, IMHO.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I have not purchased the unit though, yet.
    Only because at nearly $200 retail it's cost is too high for me to justify. I'd got my Gladius for far less asnew, albeit through a hookup.

A good product and ergo design though, IMHO.

- Janq
    At the hotel i went looking on the 'net for prices and such and saw that they went for quite a bit more retail than they were asking here. So, I just decided to go ahead and get it. The Tomahawk, a Championship polo and an SO polo were my only purchases. Hey, I was at Nationals, it was my first vacation in quite a while and it was selling at a discount, so I figured what the heck.

This is an interesting light, I wonder if you could use it with a pump shotgun as well. Here are some ringed tailcaps by Surefire that allow a two-handed pistol grip as well.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yep during the '08 Winter Nationals they were selling them marked down by some percentage but at the time they were a brand new company with a product that was largely unknown so I choose not to take adavntage of the discount they then were offering. The following year in 2009 I would have bought on the spot, at a discount, but alas they were not involved.

Hindsight is always 20/20. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

My EDC light is a Tomahawk. It's a great light, both for 'tactical' use and everyday illumination.

I've been impressed with what I have read bout them on the company website as well as other owner reviews.

I'd like to add one to my bag-o-tricks some day.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    This is an interesting light, I wonder if you could use it with a pump shotgun as well.
    Yes, I have used it with a pump shotgun (my Wingmaster) and with my AR-15. Is it better than a weapons mounted light? No, but it gets the job done. No problems.

I agree that the Tomahawk is a bit smaller and better suited for daily carry.

I liked the Liberator because one can change the position of the beam horizontally and vertically thereby moving the beam of light without changing ones grip on the firearm (ie. handgun, shotgun or rifle).

I've come to the conclusion that flashlights are like firearms and knives...many different types to solve different (potential) problems.

Dennis

Sponsored Links