Talk To Me About Meals Ready To Eat MRE - Page 2

Talk To Me About Meals Ready To Eat MRE

This is a discussion on Talk To Me About Meals Ready To Eat MRE within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier762 Be careful when ordering, some folks will sell surplus that are already out of date. I can remember eating "C" rats ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk To Me About Meals Ready To Eat MRE

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Be careful when ordering, some folks will sell surplus that are already out of date.
    I can remember eating "C" rats in the late 60's that were WW II Vets!!

Long live the P38!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

My personal opinion on MRE's is no. When we used to do field exercises I would loot them for the few edible items and throw the rest away. A few cans of Chef boyardee in your pack can go a long way. :) If you do decide to get/eat them, use the heater. It helps quite a bit in making the meal part bearable.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday
    My personal opinion on MRE's is no. When we used to do field exercises I would loot them for the few edible items and throw the rest away. A few cans of Chef boyardee in your pack can go a long way. :) If you do decide to get/eat them, use the heater. It helps quite a bit in making the meal part bearable.
    Only problem cans are hearvy for hiking. That and water. My last weekend boonie hike I went with a weekends worth of gear for N. MI summer. 35 lbs including a pistol,ammo and half the weight was water.
    If ya get hungry enough , MRE's taste better than roots, berries and grubs.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    The current generation of MRE's has a pretty good selection of food choices, as well as name brand accesories like Maxwell house coffee, tobasco sauce, etc. My son swears by them: Jambalaya, Pasta and other choices. It's a vast improvement over the old C rats I had in the late 70's (Vietnam era .. still had the four pack of Chesterfields or Pall Mall included)

In fact, remember the fruitcake? We used to throw the cans in the fire just to watch them explode .. that's how bad we hated them.

And yeah.. I do still have a few P38's layin' around
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

No matter which one ya have, a steady diet of them (aside from 2,000+ calories each) will give you 2-4 days of "no movement", followed by "DANG! That thing came out of ME?!?!?"

AKA: "Launching a Destroyer"

VIP Member
    I remember the fruitcake as if it were yesterday.

The Jambalaya MRE goes through me like a hot knife through butter....not good.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Only problem cans are hearvy for hiking. That and water. My last weekend boonie hike I went with a weekends worth of gear for N. MI summer. 35 lbs including a pistol,ammo and half the weight was water.
    If ya get hungry enough , MRE's taste better than roots, berries and grubs.

Yeah, it does weigh you down, but I hate MRE's that much. I'm a bigger guy so it didn't bother me too much (at least until I got stuck with some girl's pack). 10 cans of ravioli would get me through a few days in the field for sure. Didn't have to carry as much water though, we'd get resupplied. If that were the case though, I'd take dehydrated hiking food before MRE's.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; April 17th, 2006 at 09:42 AM.

The new ones aren't all that bad. Any of the pasta entrees are usually edible, and the peanut butter is actually tasty. If you want to travel light, open them up and take out some of the extraneous stuff like the TP and other little things. You'll save a lot of space that way. A good place to find them cheap is Army Surplus stores. They sometimes buy them off of reservists and sell them cheap.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Several hurricanes in the last couple years + friends in the Fla. NG = more MRE's than I should be proud to own. I carry them in my boat when hog hunting off the small streams here in NW Fla. If you can get your hands on some Mil. MRE's thats the way to go. Open up the outter bag and take out and add to what you want(mix&match) then staple the bags back up. Word of caution when using the self heating Mil.Mre's. Only put as much water as the directions say to,and put the pouch in the box freakin ' fast.

They are good,they keep forever,they taste great when it's a little chilly out. Also they are crammed with carbs so you will feel super full for a couple of hrs. Haven't eaten more than one every several days so can't speak to the "stoppage factor".---------

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    remember the fruitcake?
    I remember the greenish scrambled eggs more. They made a bigger impression!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Man, ya'll are spoiled! I like them all. The hash-n-eggs MRE is much better than the C version, though! Obviously, dehydrated fruit isn't as good as canned, but I think the better entrees are worth it. Toss in a few cans of DelMonte single-serve peaches/pears/etc.., if you want a treat (and don't mind the #).

I haven't done any hiking since last summer, but I prefer 2000/2500 calorie rat bars, because I like to travel light. They don't taste any worse, IMO. No cans, less trash, less gear.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I served and am now in the reserves, I snag mre's every chance I get. got two box's of em sittin on top of my safe a bunch behind the seat in my truck(4x4) and a bunch in the boat. some times i'll get lazy and make a few mre's instead of cooking dinner. I remember the c rations and I would not eat another one unless my life depended on it.
    The answer to "the voice in the dark", GET DOWN NOW!!(see avatar).
    The goal of an argument should not be victory, but progress.
    The chain of command? Is a 3/8" chain that I beat you with till you realize I'M IN COMMAND.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    ...now how many of you still have a P38 on your keychain? (You youngin's may not know what I'm talking about!)
    I've carried the same P38 on my keychain for the last 40 years. Only piece of military equipment ever made that did exactly what it was designed to do LOL!

I'm from the old C-ration Army, have never eaten MREs. There must be a reason the GIs call them "Meals Rejected By Ethiopians."

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Exclamation Rejected by Ethiopians or EVERYONE?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    I've carried the same P38 on my keychain for the last 40 years. Only piece of military equipment ever made that did exactly what it was designed to do LOL!

I'm from the old C-ration Army, have never eaten MREs. There must be a reason the GIs call them "Meals Rejected By Ethiopians."
    That's funny, I have the same P38 that my buddy gave me when he went off to Alabama ROTC and I was a year behind him and still in high school. That was 1975. My key ring was then a hand grenade pull ring that has long since been lost and was recently replaced by somebody from this forum to whom I am eternally grateful.

Anyway, for me, Meals Rejected by EVERYONE never really got off the ground....although to be fair, my old outfit at Fort Lewis was the original test bed for the concept....those first tries were really nasty sometimes....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links