I need a new winter jacket

This is a discussion on I need a new winter jacket within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; any recommendations? i live in NY... it's gonna be a cold winter....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a new winter jacket

any recommendations? i live in NY... it's gonna be a cold winter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckInNy View Post
    any recommendations? i live in NY... it's gonna be a cold winter.
    Move!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

unfortunately the line of work I do keeps me in either NY or CA... I'd rather suffer here in NY ;)

I'm a huge fan of Carhart gear, it does a great job of keeping one warm. I started wearing it when I was in construction though, and it fit in there, but your job may be different
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    2 Votes for Carhartt. If it doesnt fit well with your work environment, I'm hiring carpenters.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm also a big fan of Carhartt. In Texas I just use one of their thin jackets. I've driven my jeep in it plenty with the top and doors off in cold weather. Blocks the wind and keeps you warm without being too thick. They've got some good colder weather for you yanks also.

Edit...Carhartt is workwear, but if you get a darker color and a conservative jacket, it really doesn't look like you belong in a lumberyard...can work for any occasion except maybe business formal :p
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Move!!
    But seriously........

Check out Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.

Most of my hunting clothing is their brand.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I don't know how warm this is Woolrich Elite Series Tactical but it's probably a really nice jacket. Carhart is great as well.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Bbbut al gore says we have global warming, nobody will get cold. Back to reality check out Bass Pro also they have some nice jackets and coats as well.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...0000_999039518
    Last edited by msgt/ret; October 19th, 2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Added link
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Many of the Special Forces guys in Afghanistan use this stuff in the mountains. Very good gear. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Jackets/Vests / Men's / Arc'teryx

LL Bean

LL Bean has pretty decent prices on parkas. you could also go with layering, a couple of fleece layers under a waterproof outer layer.
    Sportsman's Guide is worth checking, also Sierra Trading Post and Campmor.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I'll second the vote on Arc'teryx. I have also been very happy with Marmot and Cloudveil as well. You get what you pay for with outdoor clothing especially "techy" outerwear.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    For me, I don't have a brand preference, I look for something that fits me well, is long enough, but not too long and looks like something the majority of the rest of the locals would wear. I don't want to stand out, I choose neutral colors and not a lot of decoration.
    One thing I do insist on is a front zipper, no snaps or buttons please. A 2 way zipper is ideal if you can find it. In the car while driving you can unzip part way from the bottom up, making access to the firearm much easier, or your local dry-cleaner can put one in.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If your looking for something you can carry with......(I'm guessing since your asking it on the forum)....... check some of Sig Arms coats. I have one of the duck coats, warm, but not too heavy (you can layer underneath it, as I wear a hooded jacket under mine,) but it has break away concealed pockets for your toys..... a full size fits in ok, but will print sometimes as big as it is, smaller pistols are ok.....comes in a 3/4 length as well if you need longer. They mimick a carrhart, but have the places we need for extra "gear"
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ibesarcasm; October 20th, 2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: I'm tired.....lol
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

I highly recommend the Columbia series...Especially ones with a zipout fleece lining. Makes a very versatile jacket...go for the Titanium series, their waterproof. Even though I think it is severely overpriced...5.11 makes some nice stuff. I like this jacket....http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...:50402/I/48032
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links