Question for AK47 owners

Question for AK47 owners

This is a discussion on Question for AK47 owners within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a AK47 a couple years of go with the intentions of making it my home defense/SHTF rifle. I chose it because at the ...

Question for AK47 owners

I bought a AK47 a couple years of go with the intentions of making it my home defense/SHTF rifle. I chose it because at the time it and the 7.62x39 ammo was cheap and available. the thing is I have always had trouble aquiring a sight picture with it quickly and have always wanted to add some sort of optic to it such as a red dot sight but didn't like any of the options out there for mounting scopes to it.

So heres my question, has anyone bought or used a scope mount from Scope mounts for your AK or SKS rifle for an AK47 and if so what are your opinions? Are they easy to install? how well do they function? Will it work with all AK's and all optics?

Thanks for any advice

The top cover mounts are not a good idea. They do not hold zero. There are several side rail mounts available that are a much better solution. Most are secured to the side rails by allen head screws,and hold zero quite well. They are high enough that iron sights can be used. You may need to ad a cheek piece to obtain a good cheek weld.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by old doc View Post
    The top cover mounts are not a good idea. They do not hold zero. There are several side rail mounts available that are a much better solution. Most are secured to the side rails by allen head screws,and hold zero quite well. They are high enough that iron sights can be used. You may need to ad a cheek piece to obtain a good cheek weld.

Doc
    From what I can read the Scout Scope Mounts replace the existing rear sight. It's not being attached to the cover.

Scope mounts for your AK or SKS rifle

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I hate to give up the iron sights. Optics can and do fail. I prefer the side mount and the ability to cowitness with the regular sights. If for some reason the optics fail, you still have sights available.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Go with a side mount rail, optics can and will fail, and you will want the irons as a back-up
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tdd78 View Post
    I bought a AK47 a couple years of go with the intentions of making it my home defense/SHTF rifle. I chose it because at the time it and the 7.62x39 ammo was cheap and available. the thing is I have always had trouble acquiring a sight picture with it quickly and have always wanted to add some sort of optic to it such as a red dot sight but didn't like any of the options out there for mounting scopes to it.

So here's my question, has anyone bought or used a scope mount from Scope mounts for your AK or SKS rifle for an AK47 and if so what are your opinions? Are they easy to install? how well do they function? Will it work with all AK's and all optics?

Thanks for any advice
    You asked for advice...(keyword for me). I think you've received good replies thus far. But...........I can't help but wonder about your troubles getting a good sight picture with your AK. You didn't mention the make or model, or post a pic. Don't worry...you don't have to unless you want to. Thing is........I would never put any optic sight on the generic AK47. Mine will never sport anything but the factory iron sights, because that's the way it should be until the end of time. Front sight is adjustable on the AK, and the rear leaf sight may take some learning and getting used to, but IMO...anything above and beyond the iron sights on an AK will protrude way too much and inevitably get snagged on something when you're trekking through the bush. AKs weren't built for scopes or optics.....they were built to be fully functional for the intended purpose the minute they hit the streets. An AK is not an AR15. AR15s were built to be modular and accept scopes and red dots, and almost anything else that can be attached. In my opinion, looking to optic sights as an aid to your sighting problems with your AK47 will be heading you down a long road of dissatisfaction, and a lighter wallet to show for it. There's also the possibility you have a press fit barreled AK that's started to take a walk. If this is the case, and you have an AK worth keeping and feeling confident in...then I'd suggest you seek the services of a competent or well recommended gunsmith. It's my honest advice (which you've requested). Have a good weekend!

11b
    i have a krebs custom and love it. but go look on ar15.com (the ak side/dark side) and see what thay are saying thay have some good stuff with pics

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdd78 View Post
    From what I can read the Scout Scope Mounts replace the existing rear sight. It's not being attached to the cover.

Scope mounts for your AK or SKS rifle
    I have an scoutscope mount on an SKS and one on a STG 2000 (AK style rifle) and they are very well made, easy to install (just remove rear sight leaf), and stays put rock solid and is a great option for mounting a red dot or extended eye relief (EER) scope on the AK.

Scout mount

Close-up of mount on Norinco SKS

The other option is a AK style clamp on side mount. Only real advantage is price and you can use your iron sights on the high mount style.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

ScoutScopes work fine for the AK. Much less cumbersome than the side plate mounts, and a lower height-over-bore too.

Thanks for everyone's responses. Heres another question, If I go ahead and put a scope mount on my AK, can anyone suggest some affordable optics?

And by affordable, I'm thinking no more than $150. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Holographic reflex red dot sight.

Links