Locked out of my gun safe

This is a discussion on Locked out of my gun safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I did something stupid. I hide the key to my gun safe in a particular article of clothing, and that article of clothing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Locked out of my gun safe

Angry Locked out of my gun safe

Ok, so I did something stupid. I hide the key to my gun safe in a particular article of clothing, and that article of clothing was taken to goodwill a couple of weeks ago, as I discovered when I went to get my Kimber out so I could carry it the other day.

This leaves me with no access to any of my weapons (3 rifles, 3 handguns).

Anyone know if a locksmith can get into it, and possibly re-key it? And how much that would cost? It's a steel case that I bought at Sports Authority years ago for a couple hundred bucks. It's not one of the expensive fire-proof behemoths. It has 2 locks, one below the other that are opened by the same key. The key is kind of like a freezer key - it's round, not flat.

I'm so pissed. And no, I don't have the 2nd key. I lost that years ago.

2. Remove Ads

Heck. Call Goodwill and ask it they found it. They are good people over there.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Best bet would open a phone book and start calling locksmiths...

VIP Member
    I'm no locksmith, but you may want to give a bic pen a shot. Some barrel locks can be defeated this way. The link below is old, but it shows a picture of the proper type of pen to use. Just pull off the end cap and ram (and I mean hard) the back end of the pen into the lock and attempt to rotate it out.

Kryptonite Evolution 2000 U- Lock hacked by a Bic pen

VIP Member
    Do I need to suggest that when you get into it you have more than one key made?

I posted a few months ago on the same topic, except mine is a 6000lb, two dial, combination lock safe. I lost the combination and was dreading how much a locksmith would charge to get into it. I now keep extra copies of the combination in a couple of secure places.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I could come over and get into it for you... but it will cost you one rifle and one handgun!

Locksmith should be able to get in and change locks no problem.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yes, any decent locksmith can pick the lock in under a minute. As for cost, what does it matter? You need the safe opened.

Just a nit pic ... if all it has is a key lock, it's a cabinet. A safe has a combination lock.

My safe (Ft. Knox) has a combination lock and the dial itself is further locked with a key.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Yes, any decent locksmith can pick the lock in under a minute. As for cost, what does it matter? You need the safe opened. :)

Just a nit pic ... if all it has is a key lock, it's a cabinet. A safe has a combination lock. :)
    Thanks all. Yes, it's not the most secure. It does the job of keeping my kids out of it. Maybe this is a sign that I need to upgrade. I'm thinking I'd like something with an electronic lock and lighted keypad, so I can open in a hurry at night. With this "cabinet", I know I can get the key and unlock it with the lights off.

Quote Originally Posted by mrog71 View Post
    With this "cabinet", I know I can get the key and unlock it with the lights off.
    But you can't get the key and unlock it, now can you?

At least, not right now!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What kind of safe? Cheap safe? Can it (the lock) be drilled and replaced?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow! That's a real bummer. You may be able to get a new key from the manufacturer by the serial number on the safe. Locksmith will cost a bit, but you'll be in sooner. Keyed safes.........hmmmm. Does this take one of those round, hollow keys with tabs? Or an actual key key?
    rigel42 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckley View Post
    Heck. Call Goodwill and ask it they found it. They are good people over there.
    Do that, if they come up blank call someone who knows how to open the locks and can make you a key. With the house call it should be under $100 total. Live and learn, right?

Edit; Ram Rod had a point. I am not sure you can get a replacement, except from the manufacturer, for one of those round keys.
    Double edit; I saw it once where it was cheaper to buy a new cabinet lock then to have the smith make me a new key. That guy was crazy, but ask for price before having him do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Wow! That's a real bummer. You may be able to get a new key from the manufacturer by the serial number on the safe. Locksmith will cost a bit, but you'll be in sooner. Keyed safes.........hmmmm. Does this take one of those round, hollow keys with tabs? Or an actual key key?

It's one of those round, hollow keys.

That's a good point - I'll call the goodwill store.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    If no luck at goodwill, manufacturer should be able to send you a new key off the number on the lock.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

If its the round hollow key with the simple barrel type mechanism you should be able to drill it out and replace for cheaper than a locksmith. I have had to do it on my toolboxes a couple times when I lost the keys. Its pretty simple to drill and change em.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links