Opinions Needed: Range Bag

This is a discussion on Opinions Needed: Range Bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I'm looking for a reasonably priced, small range bag. I'm looking for something for my P239, 100-200 rounds of ammo, ear protection, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Needed: Range Bag

Opinions Needed: Range Bag

Hello All,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced, small range bag. I'm looking for something for my P239, 100-200 rounds of ammo, ear protection, and eye protection.

Obviously I know specialty range bags aren't required... but I don't really have a bag right now that would fit the bill. Are there any real advantages to getting a specifically designed bag? Are there particular features that you find useful? Or should I just buy something cheap from Target and call it a day?

Thanks for any advice and such. It is much appreciated, as always.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

There seem to be a ton of good quality bags out their.

I recommend going to your local gun shop or one of the big chains and checking them out for yourself. Before you look at the price or color, look for how well made is the bag? Is the stitching sturdy, are the zippers heavy duty, are the shoulder strap fasteners strong, and will it last over time?

Then decide if the price and color are right?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    There seem to be a ton of good quality bags out their.

I recommend going to your local gun shop or one of the big chains and checking them out for yourself. Before you look at the price or color, look for how well made is the bag? Is the stitching sturdy, are the zippers heavy duty, are the shoulder strap fasteners strong, and will it last over time?

Then decide if the price and color are right?
    That's a good idea there Rob. Unfortunately the local gun shops around me are absolutely terrible when it comes to their pricing on pretty much everything, though I guess I could find something I like then research online.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen a wide selection of range bags at Gander Mountain? There is one of those up the road a ways that I could stop in.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

VIP Member
    Personally, unless you really care what you look like walking in, go with a good quality gym bag of the appropriate size. Nobody really looks at your range bag except you. Until you are carrying 4-5 pistols with ammo to go around, a cheap bag is all you really need. I would look for one that you can put a lock on the zipper though - just to keep the little hands out.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Check out Galati International. Their Super Mini Range Bag is great. Have had mine now for approx. 24 years. Tough as iron, and affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Personally, unless you really care what you look like walking in, go with a good quality gym bag of the appropriate size. Nobody really looks at your range bag except you. Until you are carrying 4-5 pistols with ammo to go around, a cheap bag is all you really need. I would look for one that you can put a lock on the zipper though - just to keep the little hands out.
    I couldn't care any less what I look like, so I'm open to any options.

Regarding a gym bag... what do you do with your gun itself? Do you put it in it's box or in a pistol-only case inside the gym bag?

I just recently purchased this MidwayUSA range bag. On sale until the end of November. Lots of space, many pockets, detachable ammo bag, brass bag with mesh bottom. I couldn't be happier.

MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag PVC Coated Polyester Black - MidwayUSA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    I couldn't care any less what I look like, so I'm open to any options.

Regarding a gym bag... what do you do with your gun itself? Do you put it in it's box or in a pistol-only case inside the gym bag?
    Exactly. You don't want it getting knocked around with ammo and such. If you don't want to use a pistol case, you will need to go with an actual range bag with individual padded slots. Don't just toss it all in a grocery sack!

I have a range bag I picked up at Gander Mountain on clearance for under $30. I use that when I am going "for the day". I also use a gym bag for short outings, when I am only working with one, or at most, two pistols.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The range bag question has come up several times and you really can't beat the Midway bag that jelliott24 provided a link to but if you want a smaller bag, Midway also has a compact version.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If you are looking to save a buck get the midway stuff. I like mine better, but then again it was 5x as much. My theory was that if I was carrying $3K is gear around in it, I could spend roughly 5% of that on on the bag.

Do yourself a favor.

Don't do what I did and buy 3 range bags, two sit around.

Get the Midway bag. Often on sale for $39, it is very well made, lots of pockets, tons of storage, great shoulder strap. Very good quality. Even a pocket for a water bottle, and a business card.

or buy one of my old range bags.

You'll thank me later.

For my casual, only going to shoot my EDC gun, I use a camera bag. It hold 3 boxes of ammo (150 rounds), a couple mags, my safety glasses and ear plugs and a couple rags. Its small and compact with a nice shoulder strap.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

LAPG Tactical Bail Out Gear Bag Best Seller!

i like this bag. i have one and it works great.

Here is another vote for the Midway bag.

I've seen the 5.11 range bag for about $100 and Academy Sports range bag for $59, which both look identical to the Midway bag except for sewn on logos. Makes me wonder if they are all made at the same place. Perhaps there are some differences in material thickness. However, they all look to be of superb quality.

Anyway, do yourself a favor. Listen to Guns and more' advice above. Midway's bag is by far the best for you money and it matches up to any of the well known more expensive bags.

One last point, better to have a bag that is bigger than you think you need. You will eventually find more stuff to put in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links