Modular safes: does anybody sell them locally?

This is a discussion on Modular safes: does anybody sell them locally? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to see a modular safe setup to see if it will suit my needs. I am active duty and move every couple ...

Thread: Modular safes: does anybody sell them locally?

I would like to see a modular safe setup to see if it will suit my needs. I am active duty and move every couple of years so my thinking is that it will be alot easier to do that then to deal with having to move the regular safes. Is there anyplace that has these things available to see and purchase or is it only online purchases? Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Gun Safes for your home or business | Zanotti Armor®

Same here....I knew that whatever I bought...I was going to need to be able to move at least twice.
    My 2 old ones are from DBT Detroit Bullet Trap.
    I believe that Zanotti took over the manufacture for DBT.
    The Zanotti is more refined and has more sophisticated modular design/engineering than mine have.
    I have moved both of mine by myself twice.
    It was not super easy but, it can be accomplished by one person with a 6-pack of beer and a bottle of Advil.

Mine are much more of a PITA to take apart and put back together again than the newer Zanotti versions.
    The design is pretty neat.
    You cannot crowbar pry them apart from the outside due to the way the component parts lock into one another.
    Additionally I have mine lag bolted to my floor joists from inside the units.
    I do not know if the Zanotti are as heavy gage Steel as mine.
    You'll need to call them and ask some questions.

I should add that with mine - delivery was pretty uneventful.
    Delivery was by truck and the safes arrived broken bown in multiple boxes.
    The boxes were not light but, they were manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Gun Safes for your home or business | Zanotti Armor®

Same here....I knew that whatever I bought...I was going to need to be able to move at least twice.
    My 2 old ones are from DBT Detroit Bullet Trap.
    I believe that Zanotti took over the manufacture for DBT.
    The Zanotti is more refined and has more sophisticated modular design/engineering than mine have.
    I have moved both of mine by myself twice.
    It was not super easy but, it can be accomplished by one person with a 6-pack of beer and a bottle of Advil.

Mine are much more of a PITA to take apart and put back together again than the newer Zanotti versions.
    The design is pretty neat.
    You cannot crowbar pry them apart from the outside due to the way the component parts lock into one another.
    Additionally I have mine lag bolted to my floor joists from inside the units.
    I do not know if the Zanotti are as heavy gage Steel as mine.
    You'll need to call them and ask some questions.

I should add that with mine - delivery was pretty uneventful.
    Delivery was by truck and the safes arrived broken bown in multiple boxes.
    The boxes were not light but, they were manageable.
    I have two safes now, but if I had to start over again, the above setup seems like the way to go (if you're on the move).

Also, note this for additional info...
    Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think I will get this one. I am waiting to hear back from Dakota Safes.

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    I think I will get this one. I am waiting to hear back from Dakota Safes.
    I suppose these and the Zanotti safes are better than nothing, Barely.
    As a Locksmith/Gun Dealer I really don't think the words 3/16" steel door and Sledgehammer& pry resistant should be combined in the same sentence. I actually ordered & set up a Zanotti safe for a customer. He had a good excuse, a secret room with a doorway that opened about 12". The safe took months & months to arrive. After putting the whole thing together if you pushed against it you knew just what wobbly is.
    To answer your question, No. There is nowhere you can go to see one. Maybe you can call the manufacturer, but I can't think that a former customer would want a stranger in their home looking over their safe-
    Last edited by billdeserthills; November 8th, 2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: In my haste to crap on the product I forgot the OP's question

Administrator
    I really can't speak for the particulars on the Zanotti. He will need to call and talk to a rep.
    I know that my DBT are solid.
    I have a house alarm and my local LEO are always less than 2 minutes away.

I can honestly say that some bad guys are going to work up a sweat getting mine open and it's not going to happen in two minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I really can't speak for the particulars on the Zanotti. He will need to call and talk to a rep.
    I know that my DBT are solid.
    I have a house alarm and my local LEO are always less than 2 minutes away.

I can honestly say that some bad guys are going to work up a sweat getting mine open and it's not going to happen in two minutes.
    Guy, as a Locksmith/Gun Dealer one of my jobs is opening safes. If I opened your safe I would spend at least 15 minutes, then again part of my job is to put your safe back into it's original working condition.
    However any safe with a 3/16" thick door, come on, I give that thing two minutes if two guys with a sledgehammer & a crow bar are working on it. I can guarantee that if you really knew just how Underwriter Labs classified safes and the amount of time they are given to be opened, you would be very suprised indeed. Fortunately for you guys there aren't a lot of robberies where the safe gets opened, just because the robber doesn't know enough to try it.

BTW, last time I called Zanotti, the rep was Zanotti! Don't forget to ask about delivery time & double what he tells tou.

billdeserthills: So what would you suggest then? Right now all I have is an 8 gun cabinet. I have a 40MM ammo can on the bottom of the safe filled with ammo. I only have 4 long guns and 4 pistols and this cabinet fits me great. What about the cheaper 10 gun or 14 gun safes from stack on? Those safes only weigh between 180-400 lbs depending on the size. I don't really see the need for fireproofing either. Logic tells me if there is a fire, my guns will be gone, or messed up anyway and I have insurance on them.

Administrator
    I'm certain that billdeserthills will suggest a higher quality modular safe for you that you can transport by yourself from one location to another.
    He is the obvious locksmithing and safe~cracking expert in this thread.
    It's not really my area of expertise.
    Good luck.
    Hope you find something that works out for you.

Unfortunately with temporary storage comes less weight & less security. The weight issue is easy to fix by adding some garage sale weights to the inside. Sentry makes several safes that weigh 300 lbs, I think you can manage that with a dolly and that will provide you some minimum fire resistance. Those safes are priced from $410-$595. Model #G5243-2, G2345, G3211, G5245, G5351, G5343-2.
    I find the Stack-On models to be a bit more costly and I can't see spending more, on a temporary solution. While I dislike both Sentry & Stack-On, I find Stack-On to be more of a maker of tool storage boxes and at least Sentry has been making safes for many years,so they do know something about making one. I was called out a month ago to a home that had one of the Sentry Safes I mentioned above. The lock was in need of replacement and I got a look behind the plate covering the door. I found this safe was built well, unlike most of Sentry's smaller units, and I was happy to see that the lock used on their gun safe has a "standard" footprint so it can be serviced for years to come. I'm sure you could go online & take a look at Sentry stuff. You will see that not all of the Sentry stuff is fireproof, but I do like fireproofing over what the insurance co. thinks replacement cost really might be. I have heard many "horror" stories about the insurance companies. There is a reason why they own all those skyscrapers.

I think that some of the cheaper safe are more of lockable gun storeage than a safe. They are more to protect a child than the gun. They have their place I guess. My opinion is that you should do whatever is within your means to keep your guns out of the hands of criminals. I don't see why being active duty would be problem. Either the government moves you or pays you to move yourself. If you don't want to move a safe let the government move you.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
    I have heard many "horror" stories about the insurance companies. There is a reason why they own all those skyscrapers.
    I can agree with that, but that's everyone including car dealers! I have a real good company though as well (USAA), that is only available to military members.

I may rethink the fireproof thing. I just don't want to spend a ton of money to be honest. But it might just be worth the extra money now instead of the possible hassle later.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    If you don't want to move a safe let the government move you.
    I do let the government move me. I just don't want the hassle of the initial installation LOL. I would prefer to keep the safe inside the house near our bedroom. We don't own this house, so for now all I have is a stack on safe in our closet. It fits perfectly in the walk in. I will have to look into this much more.

I have only owned one gun safe. It is Patriot. It works for me. I think they only sell online. I would rather have delivered than pick one up at store anyway. You are paying shipping whether you pay it to your home or the local gun store.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sponsored Links