Picked up my first safe!

This is a discussion on Picked up my first safe! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I only had my stack on cabinet for a little bit, but decided on getting a safe instead. I know I could have spent ...

Thread: Picked up my first safe!

Picked up my first safe!

Well I only had my stack on cabinet for a little bit, but decided on getting a safe instead. I know I could have spent more money, but this will suffice me for a while if not forever. It's fire rated and heavy as all get out. My buddy came over to help me get it out of the bed of my truck and right now it is sitting in the garage until I decide where to put it. Thanks to all in assisting me with this purchase.

Posted the wrong one the first time. Sorry.

2. Remove Ads

When you have time to get it situated and fill it up, be sure and post a review.
    Those reviews are invaluable when looking for things. If not for the reviews I wouldn't have known that the Stackon cabinets are built like an ordinary file cabinet. Much too flimsy for safe gun storage.

Edit: Should have specified including a review on the Walmart sight.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

I actually posted the wrong one. Mine is an Elite series. About 100lbs heavier.

I'll make sure to review one I've had a chance to move it. But I don't know how useful it will be since I've never had one before.

Very nice! You should be all set now. Just out of interest, I've been watching some gun safes on EBay. Don't laugh...some of them get few bids. I saw a Sentry safe sell for $200 today...model G4211. Of course there's shipping and all, but a lot of them ship free! I'm sort of prepping for things I'll need once I get my FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just out of interest, I've been watching some gun safes on EBay. Don't laugh...some of them get few bids.
    I won't laugh. Some times you can get some amazing deals on ebay. I purchased a topper for my Chevy Colorado for 300$ it was fiberglass and cost about 1300 new. Granted it was pee yellow, but dropped it off at the shop and got it painted for $100.

I also purchased some carbs for my old Drz400. I purchased on FCR for me for 80$ (normally around 400). My old man wanted one so I purchased one for him for around 110. That one turned out to be a dud, so I got another one for around that price and it was good to go. So I got 3 carbs for less than one.

My first rule of safe buying: Any safe is better than no safe.
    My second rule: Get one twice as big as you think you need.

Congrats, you'll sleep better.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    My first rule of safe buying: Any safe is better than no safe.
    My second rule: Get one twice as big as you think you need.

Congrats, you'll sleep better.
    I agree, and make sure that you need 3-4 people and a heavy-duty dolly to get it into the house...then it's the correct size.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Before you move it to its final location make sure the floor can support it. A safe plus lots of goodies loaded into it can get up there in pounds. I had a problem with mine in our last house (was causing a problem with a door jamb on the floor below). When our new house was built I had the floor where the safe was going to be set double beamed same as with a jacuzzi..

Just a thought.

bosco

Only one story. Concrete should hold her up nicely. Thanks for the advice though.

Should look at a video on YouTube called security on sale. I. was amazed just how fast 2 guys pryed open a discount safe, less than 2 minutes. Not the locker safes, one with bolts and dial lock. One of the best things you can do is bolt your safe down. They all lay them on their back for leverage. These are the same ones I have seen at gander and atwoods here in town. If you could put one in a place that makes prying hard, and bolt it down good you up your security. Please check out the video.

VIP Member
    Nice safe...Once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever got by without one...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post
    Should look at a video on YouTube called security on sale. I. was amazed just how fast 2 guys pryed open a discount safe, less than 2 minutes. Not the locker safes, one with bolts and dial lock. One of the best things you can do is bolt your safe down. They all lay them on their back for leverage. These are the same ones I have seen at gander and atwoods here in town. If you could put one in a place that makes prying hard, and bolt it down good you up your security. Please check out the video.
    Absolutely!!!

Since you have it sitting on concrete, at the very least lag-bolt it to wall studs.

Better yet is to put it in a corner and lag-bolt it to both walls.

Even better is to anchor it to the concrete floor AND walls.

Personally, there are much better safes than the Sentry, but it's worlds better than sheet-metal gun cabinets.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have a older model gun safe that is as heavy as a tank. I have it my finished basement room with a golden rod. I have it bolted into lead shields to the floor in 4 different places and then again lag bolted to the wall, it ain't going no where!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links