Spitfire spray?

This is a discussion on Spitfire spray? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is your opinion on the spitfire sprays. I am looking at getting something for my wife and 2 step daughters as well as my ...

Thread: Spitfire spray?

Spitfire spray?

What is your opinion on the spitfire sprays. I am looking at getting something for my wife and 2 step daughters as well as my self to carry. I want something that is easy to carry in a pocket or purse and has a cheap practice spray. Like the looks of the spitfire but have never touched one in person.

2. Remove Ads

I am glad you asked about this product because it has made my short list also.

There are a lot of features that appeal to me.... here is the link About Spitfire Pepper Sprays - Self-defense features for protection with pepper spray

Never having used OC before, I researched the various brands, read various reviews and articles, and bought a few Spitfire units to try out. Here's what struck me about them:

1. The spray runs out awfully quickly -- In just a few seconds at most. Then I recalled that some of the sprays rated themselves at something like "two 1-second sprays", etc. so maybe this is typical for small-canister units. But I don't feel this in anywhere near enough run time for an inexperienced person (including me, my wife and daughters) under stress to use effectively, since you have to be so careful to be in range and on target, and remember to spray in short spurts.

2. The very fine mist was easily blown off target (and sometimes towards me) by the slightest (and I do mean slight) breeze.

3. Even with absolutely no breeze the effective range seemed to be only about two feet. Thus the target would have to be right on top of you or have already grabbed you to be hit. So it doesn't seem like you could use this unit to keep attackers at bay.

So I thought I'd look for something with a longer range, longer duration, and tighter stream, but haven't followed through yet.

Hope this helps.

The stream does work better outside. You have more of a chance to contaminate yourself using a mist spray outdoors. One of these Mark 3 size cans should work well - http://www.copsplus.com/foxlabs.php. Spray pepper using your thumb if possible. This way, you could also use the can as a striking instrument. Using a hammer-fist motion to strike an attacker.
    Last edited by DWeezy; November 16th, 2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: added web page

i have the spitfire and a friend of mine opted to test it. we used it outdoors and the mist spray seemed to work really well. i sprayed him and about 2 seconds after being sprayed he was on the ground. I didnt want my mom and wife to carry it unless I knew it worked and it does... it lasted about 20 min ( him yelling and screaming ) the deployment system spitfire uses seems pretty simple slide foward and press down to activate the OC, it is a mist and i did not get any of it on me when i sprayed it.

also, remember do not look at the % look at the SHU a stronger percent does not always mean that it is hotter than another with a lower % the heat is measured is shu and thats what you want to look at,

I made a purchase of Spitfire products from a guy from gunbroker. He paid shipping, so he saved me a few dollars and shipped quickly. I haven't tested the product yet, but feel pretty good about my purchase. It fits nicely on the keychain. I like having a non-lethal option on my person. Now if I could only get my wife to understand why she should carry hers. Can you say "sheepish".

Let me give you some advice, especially if you're going to give some spray to the wife and kids...buy several extra and have everyone try it on a slightly windy day.
    This is an important step in SD. One needs to know how the spray works, how far it goes, is it a fog, mist, or stream...and spraying into the wind, some will come back into your eyes. Can you handle that, or will you become a helpless victim because of your own defense weapon?

I was advised to do the same, I did it...THAT STUFF IS HOT...but I now know what to expect in performance and back-spray. You want your wife and kids to realize how this stuff works now, not when they try using it on some dirtbag.
    OMOYMV
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 21st, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let me give you some advice, especially if you're going to give some spray to the wife and kids...buy several extra and have everyone try it on a slightly windy day.
    This is an important step in SD. One needs to know how the spray works, how far it goes, is it a fog, mist, or stream...and spraying into the wind, some will come back into your eyes. Can you handle that, or will you become a helpless victim because of your own defense weapon?

I was advised to do the same, I did it...THAT STUFF IS HOT...but I now know what to expect in performance and back-spray. You want your wife and kids to realize how this stuff works now, not when they try using it on some dirtbag.
    OMOYMV
    Yes, that is good advice. I bought the practice cannister, just haven't had the time to use it yet. Speaking of being exposed to it.... I have a childhood story that I told my wife about us kids finding a "riot control bomb" , army issue, and setting it off. The wind exposed us to it (or maybe we intentionally ran thru it) and you never seen me run so fast thru the woods to the nearest 7-11 to douse myself with water or slurpee, can't remember which. I was hurting bad for at least 15 minutes. I have never been tasered, but thinking if I had to pick one or the other, I would take the taser , believing that it can't be any worse than pepper spray.
    The other challenge is explaining to my 7 year old boy what it is, what it does and to keep his hands off it. Curiousity may get the better of him like it did to me in my youth.

I've carried the spitfire for a couple years. I like the convenience of having it in my hand (on my keyring) as I'm walking through parking lots. The keyring unit also means one less thing to store on my belt somewhere.

I've sprayed myself twice: once I was repairing the cannister (because I had dropped it many times--long story, and I don't carry it that way any longer). I accidentally sprayed a quarter-sized spot on my desk. The spray lasted no longer than a fraction of a second. Immediately my throat began to tighten and my eyes began to burn.

The second time was after I had repaired the unit. I went outside to test it, and sprayed it downwind. In a couple seconds an unseen mist apparently wafted upwind a bit. Both my experiences match this:

Quote Originally Posted by tpurdin View Post
    it lasted about 20 min ( him yelling and screaming )
    plus a significant number of words I would not use around my Grandma, nor any female, children or clergy.

They spray may not work on everyone, but it sure-nuff worked on me. I could have fought through the spray had I been in an altercation, but it wouldn't have been pleasant, and I would not have been able to keep my eyes open for very long at a time. I would have been at a significant disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by tpurdin View Post
    the deployment system spitfire uses seems pretty simple slide foward and press down to activate the OC,
    I like the deployment system. The button must be pressed forward AND down to activate it. Other than when I was working on the cannister, I have never activated it on accident. I have carried it over 2 years, usually stuffed into a front pocket with a large group of keys, and it has never gone off accidentally.

The last batch I ordered says "Michigan Formula" on the package, and I suspect it's a little less powerful than the previous. But I don't think I'll try it on myself again, at least not for a while.

I ordered units for my wife and daughter also. The spitfire unit is convenient for them to carry, moreso than a small cannister. My wife actually carried hers some when she took walks.

When I got my black one, I removed the sticker on it, and used a black permanent marker to black-out the small amount of red and white markings on the cannister. It looks like one of those key-ring flashlights. I have prominently displayed my keyring around the office, and no one ever gave it a second thought.

I have Sabre in my car. Fox Labs in my lady's car.

But we carry SpitFire everywhere we go, because it's so very convenient, easy to use, and has never accidentally discharged during my 2 years of ownership. They have been squished in pockets and hand bags, and no AD.

I wore a Halloween mask and grabbed my girl while she defended herself with the practice spray. It closes the gap reasonably well. It'll tag someone standing on the opposite end of your car/suv. I'd say that the spray had enough to give a good blast against 2-3 people (3 seconds each).

It is misty, so the wind could really control the direction. Be careful testing the actual spray.

The plastic end cap has gotten loose, and fallen out a few times, so it's good to retighten it every few months.

It does look like a flashlight, so I've gotten past a few strip searches with it.

It's always going to be with your keys, so it should always be on hand - no excuse - so I highly recommend S.F. I've purchased a bunch for my family (along with Fox Labs flip top design).

Links