dehumidifiers do they work?

This is a discussion on dehumidifiers do they work? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting my new fort knox gun safe delivered tomorrow, and it will be a relief to get all of my firearms in one safe ...

Thread: dehumidifiers do they work?

I'm getting my new fort knox gun safe delivered tomorrow, and it will be a relief to get all of my firearms in one safe place. It will be bolted to the concrete in my garage because I've heard horror stories of people getting there safes cut out of the floor or wall. does anybody have feedback on how well those electrical dehumidifiers work?
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

sorry, no tips on dehumidifiers.

but... DampRid is a great inexpensive option. Available at Home Depot. I have a satchel of it in my safe.

VIP Member
    I've always used them in my basement and they work fine.

I don't think it's gonna work in your garage, if you're going to be parking vehicles and opening and closing the garage door. Since these things pull moisture out of the air, it takes time, and a reasonably sealed environment. If you're gonna open a large garage door and let in large volumes of whatever level of humidity, your de-humidifier will never stand a chance.

If you do decide to get one, I recommend sizing it for the space (the specs will be on the box) that you intend to use it for, and also insure that it comes with a garden hose attachment. When you install it, attach an old garden hose to the bucket and run it into either an outflow sewage drain, or outdoors somehow. Otherwise, you'll have to be emptying the water bucket every 24 hours or so.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've always used them in my basement and they work fine.

I don't think it's gonna work in your garage, if you're going to be parking vehicles and opening and closing the garage door. Since these things pull moisture out of the air, it takes time, and a reasonably sealed environment. If you're gonna open a large garage door and let in large volumes of whatever level of humidity, your de-humidifier will never stand a chance.

If you do decide to get one, I recommend sizing it for the space (the specs will be on the box) that you intend to use it for, and also insure that it comes with a garden hose attachment. When you install it, attach an old garden hose to the bucket and run it into either an outflow sewage drain, or outdoors somehow. Otherwise, you'll have to be emptying the water bucket every 24 hours or so.
    +1 I think those safe dehumidifiers and dessicants wouldn't do it for you.

Keep the firearms that arn't going to be used well oiled and preserved while cleaning the others weekly. Taking the gunsafe out of the house takes it out of the climate control.

Its hard to imagine... my small floor safe ALONE weighs about 250-300 lbs... with it loaded up probably closer to 450-500lbs. They would have to cut the wall and the floor around it... in which case they would have bigger problems
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by noonan View Post
    I'm getting my new fort knox gun safe delivered tomorrow, and it will be a relief to get all of my firearms in one safe place. It will be bolted to the concrete in my garage because I've heard horror stories of people getting there safes cut out of the floor or wall. does anybody have feedback on how well those electrical dehumidifiers work?
    Unless there is absolutely no possibility of an inside location I would re-think the location of the safe. AFAIK, the locations is too exposed unless you have a closed garage and the vehicle door is never opened.

Add to that the climate control issue. If you have air conditioning inside, you have no need for a de-humidifier. A simple damp-chaser such as the GoldenRod will be all you need. Same deal with heat in the winter - less chance of condensation in and out of the safe. If you do keep it in the garage, spend the money for the dehumidifier.

My safe is in my basement and I don't have A/C, but I have a 40-pint de-humidifier that keeps the basement at 45-50 percent. That, coupled with the damp chaser keep the safe interior at less than 45 percent year round. Rust and condensation is not a problem on anything in the basement.

My Ft Knox is 25 years old, now and it's still the best investment I have ever made. It was $600 in 1984.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I believe that passive de-humidifiers are just as good as the active de-humidifiers. It's just a matter of how many and in what quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I believe that passive de-humidifiers are just as good as the active de-humidifiers. It's just a matter of how many and in what quantity.
    I bought mine 2.5 years ago; plugged it in, turned it on - haven't had to touch it since.

I don't think the same claim can be made for passive units.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    You need a Golden Rod, they are the best and every safe should have one. Never had the first issue with mositure/rust on any gun in my safe in many years of use. This is the first thing you buy after you get the safe. Plug in and forget, issue solved.

GoldenRod Dehumidifiers - New Products - Oxnard, California USA
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    To be honest if the SOB's have the "pills" to get my 500lb safe out of the house, load it up and drive off with it.....they can have it, I have pleanty of firearms insurance. Most B&E types will not take the time to mess with a gun safe, they just want to grab the stuff they can get out with fast.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Get the dehumidifier. Why not? They don't cost that much. You can alos pick up the larger desicant containers at Cabela's as an alternative.

I see you are in Oregon. Depending on what area, I would think you have a little more humidity there than many other places. I'm in Idaho and humidity here is very low so we don't have the concerns that many others do, e.g., southern states and the Pacific NW.

Its' cheap insurance IMO.
    ...T. Ray

FWIW, I was referring to an actual refrigeration-based, water-removing dehumidifier, not an electric heating element, which is what the GoldenRod is. It doesn't actually remove water from the air; it simply warms the air in an enclosed space and holds down condensation. And yes, I have one in my safe and they are worth the money, but if you have high humidity in your safe's location, you need a true dehumidifier.

Calling any of the heating-element damp chasers a dehumidifier is advertising hubris.

sorry i hit the quote on the wrong one

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    You need a Golden Rod, they are the best and every safe should have one. Never had the first issue with mositure/rust on any gun in my safe in many years of use. This is the first thing you buy after you get the safe. Plug in and forget, issue solved.

GoldenRod Dehumidifiers - New Products - Oxnard, California USA
    sorry i hit the quote on the wrong one
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    The electric refrigeration dehumidifier do work. They require emptying every few days (or plumbing a drain line in). I would recommend one if you live somewhere with high humidity (the south) or if your safe is in a damp basement. They remove A LOT of moisture from the air. They use a lot of energy and usually break after only a year or two.

The silica gen desiccants work well, but require periodic recharging in the oven. The more damp it is, the more often they need to be recharged. You can get big 2 pound bags of them for free at piano galleries. They use them when they ship pianos from Asia...

The golden rod is just a simple heating element that prevents the safe temp from dropping to low so the moisture does not condense. You can use a light bulb or anything of the sort (make sure it doesn't burn out). It uses some electricity and is fairly reliable.

Properly cleaning and lubricating your firearms will greatly reduce the risk or rust as well. Using CLP is one of the best rust prevention methods...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Both my safes are inside airconditioned space with silica gel packets inside...no problems for years.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links