To laser or not to laser.

This is a discussion on To laser or not to laser. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering the Ruger LCP as a carry option. It looks to be perfect for summertime pocket carry. Is it worth getting it with the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I'm considering the Ruger LCP as a carry option. It looks to be perfect for summertime pocket carry. Is it worth getting it with the CT Laser?

Administrator
    No.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes. Especially with a pistol like the LCP which only has rudimentary sights. My wife has one on her LCP. I have lasers on all my carry handguns. They are not a substitute for training, but are very useful in some situations.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I'm considering the Ruger LCP as a carry option. It looks to be perfect for summertime pocket carry. Is it worth getting it with the CT Laser?
    Almost all Crimson grips will make a revolver or pistol a bit more bulky around the grip. Sometimes the laser seems to get in the way, not bad at all with the Ruger LCP.

For point shooting I suppose a laser might make some sense. However, if you intend to use the Ruger LCP as a light weight back up, I would have serious doubts about the effectiveness of fitting it with a laser. Want one? I sell them. Mostly not with Crimson Grips but we have them. LG-431 is best.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Laser? No!

Night sights, Yes!

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The LCP does not have the ability to mount night sights, without some serious work by a gunsmith.

In general, I recommend getting lasers as first priority, because they allow you to sight accurately even without bringing the gun up to eye level, among other advantages. I view night sights/iron sights as a backup to the laser, which I consider my primary sighting system.

If you have the money, get the laser. You will not regret it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    the little pocket pistols arn't designed to be pin point accurate. They are designed to be small and easy to carry and put rounds the target that was stupid enough to attack you. The sights arn't that good and with practice you can put rounds on the target at the 7 yard mark. A laser limits holster options and will be more maintenance (such as battery change, cleaning and adjustments).

IMO no on laser, yes on spending the money on practice ammo.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I might say I'm neither for or against permanently attached lasers on my pistols. But I have mulled over the pros and cons many times. Got my wife a CTC to put on her carry G27 until we get her the G26, and I use my IT M-6 light/laser attached to whatever I have at hand after dark at home.
    My opinions:
    A) battery operated devices can fail when needed, and this not only includes battery failure, but electronic component failure as well.
    B) depending on sighting aids detracts from the basic principles and employment of the basic installed sights on the pistol (start with a firm foundation)
    C) sighting aids might be of good use to supplement vision problems
    D) are lasers really going to come into play at normal self defense distances, or should one employ point shooting without taking time to align sights of any type?
    E) last but not least..........even my wife said something about an 'intimidation factor' when I handed her the G27 with CTC lasergrips installed. My take on any intimidation factor with lasers is this: there is no intimidation factor with lasers on pistols. If you draw your pistol, you need to do what you need to do, and don't think twice about it! You're ending a threat to your life, and not trying to talk someone out of doing what they are intent on doing to you. Intimidation in a life or death circumstance has no place, and it will put you six feet under if you think it will.
    F) night sights cost less than half of most laser devices, and it's my firm belief they are the better investment.

I don't really understand the need for sights on a self-defense gun in the first place, be them laser or otherwise. Sights are for range use.

When the SHTF are you really going to have the time and presence of mind to look for a dot or focus on the front sight? Do you really need a sighting system to hit center of mass at self-defense ranges?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    For me, the laser is a practice device. I plan on it not working when the flare goes up. At that point, I am relying on muscle memory.

I am older and don't see or shoot as well as I once did. My training objectives:
    1.) Shoot from the waist with one hand and good trigger control;
    2.) Shoot from the waist accurately at self defense distances;
    3.) Shoot from a kneeling position accurately from cover.
    These cover the expected events at home and in public.

At some point, I will add the car circumstance to the cycle. When I do, I am sure the laser will bear the brunt of the training. No real way to use a car or truck with live ammo for me. The M151 jeep with the canvas sides stripped was really the ideal vehicle to return fire in an ambush. You were able to use a grease gun on the left side and a shotgun on the right side. Glad I never had to try that for real.

With snap caps and a laser and I can eventually get to the point of good trigger control. Then, I am able to draw and point with my eyes closed and open the eyes to see where the pistol is pointing. At my age, I have to do an activity at least 600 times to start to see some muscle memory. I also have to keep refreshing the skill. Lasers and snap caps allow me to practice around my place before going to the range.

The nonavailability of .380 ammo makes this the only way to keep skills on that pistol. With the 9mm and .45 pistols I am able to find ammo to live fire practice. I shoot a magazine through the .380 regularly to make sure it works. With the others, I am able to shoot a few magazines regularly to make sure they work and to keep accustomed to the recoil, hot brass up the nose and other indignities of live fire.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Laser, FTW. Why give up any advantage you might get from it? Not saying that you shouldn't practice with irons and/or night sights, but the tactical advantage of a laser is so large that it's pretty ridiculous to simply discount it.

As an example, Ken Hackathorn finally "saw the light" and anyone who's met him knows how old skool and ornery that guy is...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I think the laser question will never really be settled. I can see pros and cons. I've never bought them but have to admit with my eyes, it seem like it would be a help, but I'm also of the opinion that we use guns in limited SD role and therefore, the range for engagement is under seven yards and usually closer. I think the most effective way to handle that is with some type of point shooting technique and nothing will train you for point shooting (that I'm aware of) better than a lot of point shooting with the very gun you're going to rely on.

Having said that, I would like to buy a laser someday to just try it for myself but if I like it and train with it, then I fell like I'll have to have it on all of my primary carry guns. That's not more than 2-3 for me at this point but that's still a LOT of money.

So if you can afford it and don't mind loosing a bit on your investment if you don't, then I say go for it. You can always sell it used on a forum like this and recoupe most of your cost.

Gideon

I've been shooting with normal sights for years and have always done decent. I recently bought a Crimson Trace Laserguard for my Kahr PM9 and within 50 rounds, it corrected some bad habits I picked up along the way. My groups became much better and I actually learned how my trigger pull was affecting my aim.

I'm going to buy lasers for my other carry guns now. If the laser ever fails, I can always go back to the fixed sights.

That's the point

Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    I don't really understand the need for sights on a self-defense gun in the first place, be them laser or otherwise. Sights are for range use.

When the SHTF are you really going to have the time and presence of mind to look for a dot or focus on the front sight? Do you really need a sighting system to hit center of mass at self-defense ranges?
    You WILL focus on the threat, where the Red Dot is.

I have lasers and night sights on 2 of my pistols. I practice with and without the use of the laser and shoot in low light conditions when practical.

As many have already stated, better to be as good at all conditions as possible in case the "SHTF".
    ...T. Ray

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links