Defensive Carry banner

Reinforced doors in my house

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Handgunner 
#1 ·
I just spent a good chunk of the day reinforcing two of the three doors in my house. I have a 45 year old house that is actually quite well built. (Or so several people have said.) What I discovered is that the doors to the house are secured with 1" screws. One good swift kick and a BG is in my house.

I took the advice of another member and bought three Strikemaster IIs. Unfortunately, my doors are completely non-standard and I have to make modifications to get this system to work, but I truly understand how it can prevent easy kicking in of my doors. So by the end of the weekend, I hope to have these three Strikemasters installed and replaced most of the 1" screws with 2-3" screws that actually penetrate a stud or go deeper into the door.

#2 ·
Years ago I drove 5 inch screws all the way through the framing 2 X 4s making up the door frames.

It is a tiny amount of effort with possibly some real benefit. The hinges need to be treated similarly.

Then, good lighting, thorny bushes in front of the windows, and dogs.

Yet with all of that, it would be easy for a determined BG to ambush me or my wife when I exit to get the newspaper. You can build a fortress, but the moment you try to leave, you are vulnerable.

#3 ·
When I install a door for customers I use a minimum of a three inch screw to make up the difference of the rough opening size and actual size. This way the screw goes well into the stud rather than just catching it. The screws provided by the manufacturer will only go into the casing and not even get a bite on the stud.

#4 ·
Well, that didn't go so well. I replaced the 1" screws in the hinges with 3" screws. What I didn't know was that it would move the door frame so the door wouldn't close...at all. I think I will stick with computers and guns and leave the handy work to the professionals. :yup:

#5 ·
Your on the right track though... Loosen the screws up, maybe put in some shimes. Don't give up...
Even if they can kick your door in, make them take a couple of kicks to do it, this should buy you the time to prepare for them.
Kind of like hearing one shot. Every body goes; What was that?, Was that a shot?, Where did it come from?
Two shots and the whole story is different. I heard shots! They came from over there!

#6 ·
DB...I love the Freud quote

You can also place the security bars that fit under the door handle. They are less than 20bux each and will buy you at least 2 more kicks. An extra 2-3 seconds to reach over, grab and point the 12 gage. I fall asleep on the couch many nights.

#7 ·
Try to use hardened screws too, take your time. A real easy way to improve security.

I've done this at every apartment my kids ever lived in. Found some hinges hung on 1/2" screws. :(

#8 ·
Problems with replacing hinge screws

After reading this post I looked at the setup of my own front door. It's a steel framed door with glass-panel center, screwed into a metal frame which is attached to the cinder block wall of the house. Trouble is, the hinge screws are simply small threaded screws that fasten the (threaded) hinges to another steel housing on the door frame itself. With this set-up, I can't simply drill and add 3" screws as there's not a piece of 2x4 in sight. Does anyone have suggestions to how to strengthen the hinges?

Secondly, the door originally had 3 hinges, however one was removed prior to my moving in. Would it be recommended that I replace the missing middle 4.5" hinge?

Lastly, with the deadbolt sliding into a metal frame, would a Strikemaster II be of benefit? I intend to replace the bedroom door with a solid core wooden door, lengthen the hinge screws and add a Strikemaster II at that location to provide me additional seconds to retrieve weaponry (if it's not already on me).

Thanks for the suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.