Sling suggestions for AR....

This is a discussion on Sling suggestions for AR.... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a reasonably priced quality sling for my AR's. I would like to get the same sling for all 3 of my AR's so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling suggestions for AR....

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Looking for a reasonably priced quality sling for my AR's. I would like to get the same sling for all 3 of my AR's so that they all feel and carry the same. Any suggestions?

Depends what kind of sling you're looking for. If you're into something tacticool, then check out the Specter sling:

YouTube - Specter 3-Point Tactical Sling

If you're into marksmanship, take a look at Turner Slings:

YouTube - Improving your shooting #7. Using a leather rifle sling.

I have both. I like the Turner sling more because I tend to like shooting my rifle at things far away (go figure) than up close targets.

Gee, I just use a nice simple sling.

The nylon one that came with my Colt 6920 is all I use. I taped it with black elctrical tape to keep it from shifting once I sized it to me. I toyed with the idea of a "tacticool" sling, but don't see the need. I have mine situated to carry my rifle across my chest, and what I really like is:

It's simple and it works!

Biker

Carried M4s for years, and find the single point the most practical setup. It can be adapted to body armor, and transitions quickly. You can go with an expensive setup, or just a regular setup. It depends on what you like, honestly.

What type of buttstocks do you have? A2 standard, M4....?

I have a preference for two-point slings myself. I've had to use three-points before and find that they are more trouble than they are worth. Single points are pretty good too but you'll have to figure out what your needs are before you decide. The reason I usually go with two-points is because I can sling them in front or behind me and still be able to shoulder my weapon quickly or transition to a pistol fairly quickly. I have a padded Blue Force Vickers which I like, I've also heard good things about the Viking 2-point slings. If you are going to be carrying for long periods I'd go with a padded sling. Another good thing to look for if you are going to use QD swivels is to get one of the sockets that limits rotation so they can't twist up the sling, I know that DD and MI make one, not sure if anybody else does. I hope that helped, good luck.

I use an MI M4 adapter, and + on the limited travel thing. Blue Force Gear supplied the sling. Best setup ever, IMO.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Here's what I put on my M4. It is very well made, easy to adjust and at $26.50 it is a bargain.

https://www.rockymountaintactical.ne...kadjustslings&
    Proud NRA member

I used both a single point and two-point sling on my M4 in Afghanistan....mostly used the two-point day-to-day....single point when doing PSD-type missions...easier to transition left hand and right hand. Personal preference.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sling

I made a single point convertable for less than $10. I used a Brownell's attachment plate for the rear of the gun (M4 style) More expensive than the sling itself. I put a buckle on the front swivel so it can be used as a carry strap, too. It's got a buckle in the middle so it can be broken completely away if you need to. I'll send a pic if you want.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I made a single point convertable for less than $10. I used a Brownell's attachment plate for the rear of the gun (M4 style) More expensive than the sling itself. I put a buckle on the front swivel so it can be used as a carry strap, too. It's got a buckle in the middle so it can be broken completely away if you need to. I'll send a pic if you want.
    Sure, send a photo. I like to do things on the cheap if I can.

sgb
    I look at a sling as a holster for my carbine. I find the single point sling the simplest and essayist to use.

Lots of different manufacturers out there to choose from.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Savvy Sniper

this guy is local to me, makes some top notch stuff....

M16 TACTICAL SLING

This is what we use in the Corps. I've got three of them at home that I've been able to use on all my rifles, with a little modification. Used them in Africa and Iraq. No complaints. Heckuva price, too.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

+1 for the Viking tactical sling. I have the padded version and use it for everything from duck hunting, squirrel hunting with .22, to shooting my AK. Best and last sling i have ever owned. there is a demonstration video on youtube that will show the basic use of it.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Why do you want a sling? There are two choices: (1) you want to carry your rifle more easily, or (2) you want to shoot better.

I bought my first sling before I knew the difference, so I ended up with a Viking VTAC. It's an excellent carry sling that provides some shooting stability in the standing position.

After taking an Appleseed clinic, though, I bought a half-dozen USGI web slings, because I decided I liked shooting my rifle more than carrying it. A good web sling (or leather marksman's sling if you want to go that route) is probably the best single performance accessory you can buy for your rifle.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links