Flight with two LCP's

This is a discussion on Flight with two LCP's within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We'll be heading to Arizona next summer for a wedding, and AZ honors Oregon's permit. We'd like to take our two LCP's with us. Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight with two LCP's

Flight with two LCP's

We'll be heading to Arizona next summer for a wedding, and AZ honors Oregon's permit. We'd like to take our two LCP's with us. Any recommendation or link to something that is one unit that can hold both the LCP's and be airline approved? Any help appreciated.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

2. Remove Ads

Look at Pelican...their stuff is very nice and well built. IIRC they are also airline approved. Make sure and go to FAA website and read their regs...they are very helpful.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I believe the large COM safe would easily hold two LCPs and according to their web site:
    Meets Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines for transporting your weapon in your checked luggage when flying.
    However, I would strongly suggest getting two of the small safes and putting them in separate checked bags (assuming you're taking at least two checked bags). That way, the loss of one bag doesn't result in the loss of both pistols.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The large COM (Center of Mass) safe will fit them both, no prob. You can also use the COM's cable to secure the box inside your suitcase, if there's a frame or other feature inside your suitcase that the cable can be looped thru.

This is great. Thanks fellas! How does the key work when flying, that is, I understand it that you cannot lock your suitcases anymore, so do we need to provide them with a key somehow for inspection? And are there typically extra charges for firearms?
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

VIP Member
    Make sure you DO lock your suitcase.

Get a TSA approved lock, either key or combination. The TSA can unlock and relock it. Some of the locks also give you the ability to tell if they've been opened.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Frequent Flyer to AZ

I'm assuming you are flying on Allegiant Air. Great flights! done this a number of times. Here is there protocol. Note the bold text. They will ask you upon checking in if it is unloaded and will require you to sign a slip stating it is. This will be attached to the case on the outside! Do not put it in the case with the firearm.

Allegiant allows firearms to be transported using the following guidelines:
    All customers must declare their firearm at time of check-in.
    Firearms and ammunition cannot be carried on-board the aircraft and are accepted in checked baggage only.
    All firearms must be unloaded
    Firearms must be in a locked case and must be able to withstand normal baggage handling without damaging the firearm or other baggage.
    Small-arms ammunition intended for sport or hunting are accepted only if carried in a study checked baggage.
    Ammunition must be in the manufactures original container, or equivalent fiber, wood, or metal container specifically designed to carry ammunition. This carrier must provide sufficient cartridge separation.
    The following are per person limitations on ammunition:
    No more than three hundred (300) rounds of pistol (rim fire) ammunition.
    No more than one hundred twenty (120) rounds of rifle (center fire) ammunition.
    No more than one hundred fifty (150) shotgun shells.
    The total gross weight of the ammunition cannot exceed eleven (11) pounds per passenger.
    One handgun case (with only 1 unloaded handgun inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    One shotgun case (with maximum 2 unloaded shotguns inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    One rifle case (with maximum 2 unloaded rifles inside) will be accepted for each paying passenger.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose." -- James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    This is great. Thanks fellas! How does the key work when flying, that is, I understand it that you cannot lock your suitcases anymore, so do we need to provide them with a key somehow for inspection? And are there typically extra charges for firearms?
    If you place the gun case in a suitcase, the suitcase should have one of the TSA approved locks on it. TSA personel have master keys that can open these. However, the gun case (such as the COM safe) should be locked with a different lock that ONLY YOU have the key/combination to. When you check in and declare the firearm, give them the key if they want to inspect, then it gets relocked, you get the key back, and they are done with it.

Here's the TSA guidelines for checking your firearm.

Also be sure to check your airlines web site for any additional policies that they have.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Look at Pelican...their stuff is very nice and well built. IIRC they are also airline approved. Make sure and go to FAA website and read their regs...they are very helpful.
    If you want something for the rest of your life, get Pelican.

I have several and fly with all of them.

So it appears it IS legal to ship the loaded magazines in the lockbox with the unloaded handgun?

This is all great -- thank you everyone!

Ammo transport

It is up to the airline, NOT TSA, as to how the ammo is transported. Again I use Allegiant Air as my example because thats how I get to AZ. This is a quote from there website on firearms and ammo. I would strongly suggest checking the airlines web site you plan to travel with for there specific requirements.

Ammunition must be in the manufactures original container, or equivalent fiber, wood, or metal container specifically designed to carry ammunition. This carrier must provide sufficient cartridge separation.

It would suck to have to dispose of good ammo because it cant be transported to there requirements. And good luck finding ammo then you get there too!
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose." -- James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by something View Post
    If you want something for the rest of your life, get Pelican.

I have several and fly with all of them.

Wow! Looks like an assassin's kit......but still impressive.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    good lord guys...the man wants to transport 2 lcps...not a military strike force!...

the com safes are nice...buy them here and save some money...they will come in handy in your vehicles also with tether cables to secure them to seat frames...for the price the quality is good...they arent swat material but they will do the job well for you...

XDPistols.com: Gun Safe, Lock Box, Security Safe

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Make sure you DO lock your suitcase.

Get a TSA approved lock, either key or combination. The TSA can unlock and relock it. Some of the locks also give you the ability to tell if they've been opened.
    Every time I use a TSA approved lock, the TSA goobers cut it off because they are too lazy to get the key. Don't waste your money. use a nylon wire tie. Serves the same purpose and is much cheaper.

The gun owner is the only one to have the key to the pistol box. TSA or the airline will ask you for it if they want to inspect the weapon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links