Bug Out Bag. Here is One Guy's Set Up

This is a discussion on Bug Out Bag. Here is One Guy's Set Up within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You did a great job with that, Scuba. I have one myself, but not nearly as elaborate (or as well packed and organized) as yours. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bug Out Bag. Here is One Guy's Set Up

You did a great job with that, Scuba. I have one myself, but not nearly as elaborate (or as well packed and organized) as yours.

But then again I was never in the military, so now I have a new goal to shoot for.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I'm no medical expert but you have a lot of specialized items in your med kit. Mine isn't as advanced by a long shot. Some things like a turnicate would be fashioned from the para cord and dowls I have.

A first aid kit is what I have its enough to get cuts, scrapes, burns, gashes and pain under control. It has cleaning agents (alcohol) a suture kit and butterfly bandages for larger gashes.

Is my kit sufficient or should I upgrade?
    I think Scuba is a medic, so he could put those special items to good use. Unless you have some advance knowledge or training, I would think a basic first aid kit would suffice. I have nothing more than basic first aid skills, so I am a little weak in that department myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Excellent! My set up is still evolving as time and cash flow allow. One thing I noticed you didn't mention was communicaitons gear. A set of GMRS radios can be quite handy. If you get your license (pay to play) and get some serious radios (instead of the bubble pack ones at walmart) you might be surprised what you can do. You can have a mobile or base putting out fifty watts and you can also utilize repeaters. With one repeater in Houston I can talk on my four watt portable from Katy to Pasadena. Also, GMRS 1 with a tone of 141.3 is now pretty much accepted as the national GMRS emergency channel and more emergency operations centers are startng to monitor it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think Scuba is a medic, so he could put those special items to good use. Unless you have some advance knowledge or training, I would think a basic first aid kit would suffice. I have nothing more than basic first aid skills, so I am a little weak in that department myself.
    that was my first thought, I just hope that if I'm hurt bad enough to need a real medic that I can hold out till I can get medical attention. I was thinking about stuff to add such as the saline, eye wash and field dressing kits.

I have a CB radio in my BOB as well as 2 handheld 2 ways (incase of a group situation) in addition to my cell phone. I would assume the cell towers would go down from overuse in a SHTF situation. Channel 9 and 19 are monitored for emergency situations.

I have toyed with the idea of making waterproof tubes out of 6" or 8" PVC with a cap at one end and a pipe stopper in the other. Paint it black or green and use letters of what it is. maybe even strap them to another empty tube incase of flood it would float.

this thread kicks ass
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Scuba, I posted some stuff without realizing it was your bag. Thought you pulled picks from somewhere. Knowing you use a layered program my comments were off base. I will add-

People who have never had to hump gear choose to carry everything they think they might need. People who are used to carrying gear carry what they know they will need.

If your mindset is that this is your bag to be used only in "real" emergencies you will spend lots of time contemplating what constitutes and emergency. Bags should have room to add stuff you come across or is mission specific. You need to work out of your bag to the point where you can find what you need in the dark.

IMHO opinion "break in case of emergency kits" are not the way to go.

Two things that need to be real hand are work gloves and eye protection.

YMMV- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Scuba, I posted some stuff without realizing it was your bag. Thought you pulled picks from somewhere. Knowing you use a layered program my comments were off base. I will add-

People who have never had to hump gear choose to carry everything they think they might need. People who are used to carrying gear carry what they know they will need.

If your mindset is that this is your bag to be used only in "real" emergencies you will spend lots of time contemplating what constitutes and emergency. Bags should have room to add stuff you come across or is mission specific. You need to work out of your bag to the point where you can find what you need in the dark.

IMHO opinion "break in case of emergency kits" are not the way to go.

Two things that need to be real hand are work gloves and eye protection.

YMMV- George
    I hear ya

When I go on trails I make sure I carry what I need and it never hurts to have creature comforts but they have no place in a BOB. As far as I know the BOB that you buy never have all you need and they are expensive.

When I bought my mossberg JIC I did with the notion of having a 12 gauge with a pistol grip and 18.5" barrel I never intended it for the BOB. Later I made the stuff it came with a mini BOB I packed the tube with a change of clothing, 40 rounds of ammo for the 45 and 20 rounds of 12 gauge assorted shells (slug, buckshot), emergency and CB radio, batteries, flashlight, first aid kit, gloves, eye protection glasses, 8" knife, multi tool, and the included "survival kit in a can" I got with the shotgun. With food and camp fire wood its enough to survive for a while but its not perfect. I packed the absolute minimum SHTF equipment in the waterproof tube. The idea was to grab the tube, shotgun and the XD.

My Jeep is always stocked with a blanket, jacket, tire repair supplies (patch, plugs, air pump, etc), first aid kit, fire extinguisher, full size spare, wire, rope and tow assessories. I would like to add some armor such as off road bumpers and skid plates but mainly justify it for trail and not SHTF.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I love this thread,
    Thanks for sharing Scuba
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I think you forgot only 1 thing . Maybe we should all pack a cyanide pill it case all else fails. Great pack.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I think you forgot only 1 thing . Maybe we should all pack a cyanide pill it case all else fails. Great pack.
    thats in my zombie BOB

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    thats in my zombie BOB
    Its a lot easier just to pack 51 rounds of 45 ACP.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    One thing that comes to mind - concealment. In my neck of the woods, it is semi rural, but having gear bags exposed in the back like that is just asking for a break in. Maybe some kind of old blanket or something to cover it all up?

awesome post, I'm always building survival kits (taking and adding things). I off-road with my wrangler so I have made a nice pack for that similar to yours but with a lot more tools. Only thing that sucks is having a soft top I can't leave anything in it I don't want to give away for free. So everything must be lugged in and out everyday, I use a large duffel bag.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I hear ya

When I go on trails I make sure I carry what I need and it never hurts to have creature comforts but they have no place in a BOB. As far as I know the BOB that you buy never have all you need and they are expensive.

When I bought my mossberg JIC I did with the notion of having a 12 gauge with a pistol grip and 18.5" barrel I never intended it for the BOB. Later I made the stuff it came with a mini BOB I packed the tube with a change of clothing, 40 rounds of ammo for the 45 and 20 rounds of 12 gauge assorted shells (slug, buckshot), emergency and CB radio, batteries, flashlight, first aid kit, gloves, eye protection glasses, 8" knife, multi tool, and the included "survival kit in a can" I got with the shotgun. With food and camp fire wood its enough to survive for a while but its not perfect. I packed the absolute minimum SHTF equipment in the waterproof tube. The idea was to grab the tube, shotgun and the XD.

My Jeep is always stocked with a blanket, jacket, tire repair supplies (patch, plugs, air pump, etc), first aid kit, fire extinguisher, full size spare, wire, rope and tow assessories. I would like to add some armor such as off road bumpers and skid plates but mainly justify it for trail and not SHTF.
    That mossberg JIC is awesome especially if you make your own BOB out of it. Is the pistol grip 12ga fun to shoot?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

My friend has one, and I have shot it several times...

If your wrist can take it its not that bad. But I dont go out shooting it much for fun. I have my 870 for that.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    That mossberg JIC is awesome especially if you make your own BOB out of it. Is the pistol grip 12ga fun to shoot?
    Its a hoot

I use hornaday TAP 00 buckshot. I have an 835 for the heavy stuff.

IMO in a bad situation every one in a household should be armed with a 12g.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links