Bug Out Bag. Here is One Guy's Set Up - Page 3

Bug Out Bag. Here is One Guy's Set Up

This is a discussion on Bug Out Bag. Here is One Guy's Set Up within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice kit. Maybe a little heavier on medical than most people would choose, but if you are competent with it, and hopefully someone else with ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bug Out Bag. Here is One Guy's Set Up

Thumbs up

Nice kit. Maybe a little heavier on medical than most people would choose, but if you are competent with it, and hopefully someone else with you is too (so they can use it on you!), then fine.

I agree that you are too light on commo equipment. I'd add an AM/FM broadcast radio, and a scanner, minimum. Knowing what is going on around you is crucial--it can save you from walking into trouble, and keep you from wasting your time and energy taking a dead-end route. Knowing where the public safety and military are, and what they are doing, can be important to know. A small pair of binos would be useful, too, for intel gathering and navigating.

I also agree you should include an entrenching tool in your kit, and some leather work gloves.

I'd also suggest perhaps adding a synthetic sleeping bag and some sort of shelter such as a bivy bag or two person tent.

For your fire making equipment, you might add some Trioxane fuel tablets and a butane lighter.

Where are your boots?? What, no duct tape?! How about a Boonie hat, some sun screen and bug repellent? You have some water, but how about a canteen or two?

BTW, some cash is nice to have, just in case. You might want to throw in some junk silver coins, too, depending on your idea of future scenarios.

Good start on your BoB though. Just keep in mind mobility vs firepower. As someone mentioned (it might have been you) one can overload themselves, I know, I've done that, twice! Both times I was miserable.

Additional things I'd suggest for your vehicle--extra fan belts, extra radiator and heater hoses, coolant, a gas can, hand tools and grease rags, and a AAA membership!
    Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

If your away from home when the SHTF,, And trying to get back to make the stand.. Cool bag! If your at home when it hits, Got more at the house,, Just seen war of the worlds with Tom Cruise,, Gridlock, on the highways, And van took by a mob, Looks like what would happen!!

Question where can we buy those more advanced medical supplies win out stealing them from someone? I am working on my bob and it is adapting since I have a little one on the way. Awesome thread tho. Great suggestions.

Maybe you could order them or something. Most of that stuff I collected during military service and working as a civilian Paramedic.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Wow! How did i miss this thread!? Thanks for your ideas, Scuba.

I've been modifying and upgrading my BOB for the past 10 years, and still don't have it quite to my liking. I have a basement full of various bags and kits I've tried that don't do just what I need them too, but I'm getting close. My experiences in Iraq really changed my thinking about what's important to carry and what's not. I was WAY overloaded at first.

Folks need to remember that the best way to figure out what you need is to actually use the stuff. A lot of the pre-packaged kits are cheap-o and some of the stuff listed on internet "gear lists" is superfluous.

2 maxims to keep in mind:
    -How you train is how you fight. If you don't train, you'll never survive the fight.
    -Failure to plan is planning to fail, and "hope" is not a plan; (however), no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Thanks for posting this scuba. I've been wanting to get a bag together, but I needed a starting point. I now have a starting point, but need a bag to put the stuff in. I'm assuming you have your drip set to go along with the bag

Its funny how the first things I gathered were the saline, 18ga caths, 1:1000 epi and IV benadryl...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Thanks for the comments guys. Lots of good thinking, especially about commo. I thought I would bring this thread back up to the top since there are so many recent BOB threads.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.

Distinguished Member
    Scuba, I am curious why you only have one MRE. Maybe I am just a food nut.

On the general subject of emergency supplies, I like to keep some kind of fruity powdered drink mix (like Tang or lemondade mix) to make nasty water less nasty tasting.

I have never tasted any bad water after it goes through the filter. I only have 1 MRE because the bag is meant to last 72 hours. I can make an MRE last 3 days pretty easily.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I only have a weekend bag packed in case the SHTF, all our ammo are in ammo cans, and the guns will be quickly put into cases and then we are out of town and headed into the woods.. we have food and supplies there in the cabin.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    then we are out of town and headed into the woods.. we have food and supplies there in the cabin.
    Hopefully your supplies are still there when you get there...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Nice Job Scuba ! and Rangers do Lead the WAY !!
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

After all this, I still don't see mention of toilet paper. Of course I may missed a "Porta Poty" strapped to the roof.

I have a simple plastic milk box in my trunk with flares, first aid kit, blanket and a few tools. It's the bare necessities but in a global crises requiring the gear Scubba carries we are expendable.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Is this one of those new extended MREs? With a regular one you could probably get away with one a day, but with stress added you might be a bit weak on day 3.

Good stuff for the auto, particularly the POL. Consider as well some duct tape, coolant, and fix a flat.

Medical: keep in mind the potential expiration of the saline. I'm not certain if you have a resupply source, but my efforts to obtain IV solution since leaving the infantry have been futile.

50 rounds for a just pistol is a bit excessive. However, if it's just a full box in addition to what you have in your EDC, completely understandable. A carbine in the car may be something to consider, but I've written that off myself as not worth the trouble.

Your water worries me; 1 liter is not a lot at all. If this is a 3 day bag BoB (as opposed to a half day GHB), I'd recommend 2-3 gallons. Your filter is a good idea, but it's not always practical to break that out when on the move.

Not sure what you need the twine for that you couldn't handle with 550 cord.

You can never have too many ponchos. Wouldn't hurt to toss in a Mylar blanket; they are aren't expensive and weigh almost nothing.

If you're in an urban area, I can see value for a good dust mask, but a chemical protective mask is probably more weight than it's worth. Pack it if you want, but it would be the first thing I'd drop.

Add gloves, more socks, underwear (well, your choice) and a T-shirt. Very little compares to the joy of fresh clean socks after a long day of walking and sweating. Nylons may be wise if you plan on walking too.

Sunglasses are probably a good idea, especially if you get a lot of snow.

FM radio I consider a must have item. I have a crank powered AM/FM/ flashlight in my bag. Information is vital.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    After all this, I still don't see mention of toilet paper.
    Standard in MREs
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links