Couldn't get into Winchester EVault 1200 with electricity only

This is a discussion on Couldn't get into Winchester EVault 1200 with electricity only within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I have a Winchester evault 1200, which I bought in September. Things were going great until a couple of days ago when the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't get into Winchester EVault 1200 with electricity only

Couldn't get into Winchester EVault 1200 with electricity only

Hi guys,

I have a Winchester evault 1200, which I bought in September. Things were going great until a couple of days ago when the middle light on the top of the vault turned amber. I could no longer open the safe with the combination, even though I had 8 AA batteries in it and it was plugged into the wall. Turns out I hid the keys so well, that I could not find them. I'll wait till you're done laughing.

Anyway, now I was faced with a vault that I couldn't get into. At first I thought it was the adapter that went bad, which started the batteries, which eventually got depleted. So, I bought another adapter and plugged it in--still, could not open the vault, so I don't think the adapter was the problem. With no keys, I was forced to contact Granite Security Products--they sent me a key, and I can get into the safe now.

But this is the curious thing--Dusty at Granite Security said that you need to have both the batteries and the electricty going in order for the vault to work. That did not sound right to me. So I checked the manual and the manual said that you can use either/or. So I called Dusty back up and she said the manual is wrong, that you must have both batteries and electricty for the thing to work.

This does not sound right to me. Anybody just have electricity without the batteries running this evault? Does anybody just have batteries running the thing? I am thinking that maybe the electric part of the vault never worked and my batteries ran down in about 2.5 to three months. Does this sound right?

I am trying to figure this out.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know if that's normal, but if it is, I wouldn't want to put my life at risk with that. What good is the battery backup if it doesn't let you access the safe when the power goes out? I have a GunVault and it uses batteries and AC. If the power goes out, the batteries let you use the vault as normal.

Agreed that makes no sense at all. Why would you even put batteries in the thing if it needed to be plugged in to work? Maybe just to keep the combination in memory in the case of a power failure, but then it wouldn't need to be 8 AAs, a watch battery would fulfill that function.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

The manual states that if all power were to fail, the combination will be kept. However, if everything goes out you will be forced to use your key, so in a pinch, you wouldn't care what the combination is because you are trying to get the gun out with your key to deal with the perp.

I agree with you guys, it doesn't make sense. On top of that, it wasn't a cheap safe either. I think I will have to get clarification from the company, return it, whatever. The whole thing is quite upsetting, because you would expect a gun safe to be the MOST reliable of safes.

Yeah, that sucks. I have a Stackon electronic pistol "safe" and you've got me thinking that a Simplex lock based one might be better.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

What brand of lock is used on the safe? I work on safe locks every day and have not heard of such. All electronic locks I service on safes are stand alone; no dependence on outside current to operate.

I got 8 pounds of gun powder and a short fuse I'll be right over
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My safe will open with the battery backup. But my safe requires both the combination and one key or two keys.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My gardall works on (1) 9 volt battery only. It beep 8 short chirps to remind you when the battery is running low. I change the batteries when I change the batteries in my smoke detector.

I have eVault 600. Never even bought the AC adapter - just running it on batteries. Been running a year on the original batteries - opens just fine. Love it.

I've had my 1200 for about 4 months now and have never put the batteries in. I keep the keys close but hidden in the event of a power outage, haven't had any issues with it not opening, unless on of the kids have temp locked it out by playing with the buttons.

So......Did you get back into your safe? If so, how?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    You should be able to use either or...

I think you have an issue with the adapter port. The batteries are only there to be used in the case of power failure.

And this is exactly why I went with the good old mechanical combination lock on my safe that I just bought a month ago. I did not want to go through something like this. I just do not trust the electronic combo models.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This made me go test my Gunvault Multi deluxe. Unplugged the power adapter. Safe opened fine on battery power. That's the way these things are supposed to work. I think someone is pulling your ****.
    As others mentioned, you don't need 8 AA batteries to hold a combo in the locks memory. Something is fishy here.

Call the manufacturer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links