Got A Target Stand For Christmas

This is a discussion on Got A Target Stand For Christmas within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've gone through some cheap target stands that tend to fall apart after a few uses, so this year my husband made me a nice ...

Thread: Got A Target Stand For Christmas

I've gone through some cheap target stands that tend to fall apart after a few uses, so this year my husband made me a nice little stand base.
    Here is the metal base made out of metal tube.

Two 1x2 wood slats slide in to the base to hold the target. We had some 4ft slats, stapled a piece of cardboard to the slats, and taped up a target.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Part Irish, All Trouble
    He looks like it! :)

Good work on the part of your husband! Looks solid.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Looks well made...nice gift...one that keeps on giving.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very nice. Looks sturdy. Have fun with it. Around here, we'd need spikes on the bottom to hammer it into the ground for the windy days. IMO, you could put the 1x2s up and staple chicken wire between them and then just hang your targets on the chicken wire with clothes pins taking less set-up time. When not in use, just take it out and roll up the 1x2s/wire and stand it in a corner.
    I've fabricated a few steel spinner targets at work, and something like this would be nice if they would just let me walk out with it ready made and overlook the idea that it took me a hour and a half on the clock to do. Some day I'll have my own shop, then getting out with scrap materials wouldn't be as much of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    He looks like it! :)

Good work on the part of your husband! Looks solid.
    So many ways I can take that...
    He did do a good job making the stand.

Ram Rod, if I knew he was going to make it I would have asked for an anchor system. We get some really good wind storms up here...the last one ripped off a few pieces of siding that was screwed down on the shed. (18 2 inch screws per sheet.) I think I can come up with something to anchor it using some tent nails and have him make me up a few tabs.
    My husband works at a small shop that lets him come in after hours and work if he wants.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Administrator
    Real Nice. He did a nice neat job & you'll get some great use out of that.

Right Cute Kid also...

Very nice! Looks very professional!

Here is my not so professional 2x4 stand:

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    As for an anchor against the wind, might I suggest a sandbag or two. They are simpler and cheaper than most anything else...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Administrator
    If you have a lighter weight target stand and you are setting up on earth...you can drill holes in the base of the stand and buy 4 of those really HUGE long nails that are used for railroad tie retaining walls and just temporarily nail the stand to the ground.

It sure beats lugging sandbags.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you have a lighter weight target stand and you are setting up on earth...you can drill holes in the base of the stand and buy 4 of those really HUGE long nails that are used for railroad tie retaining walls and just temporarily nail the stand to the ground.

It sure beats lugging sandbags.
    That's kinda what I was thinking, but having him put on some tabs with holes that I can put the nails through. That way I can just use some of the tent stakes like these

I keep some gear in my van and one of my tents and hatchets are always back there, so I wouldn't be adding more gear to my range bag.

I built a similar configuration out of PVC pipe, with the U-shaped base glued together and the vertical pipe just setting in, so it can all lay flat in the truck bed.
    I staple cardboard to the vertical 1x2s, but the chicken wire backing sounds like a good way to go.

Sponsored Links