Night sight help - Page 2

Night sight help

This is a discussion on Night sight help within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with Gary. I added them to all my Glocks. Even the one I have a laser sight on....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night sight help

I agree with Gary. I added them to all my Glocks. Even the one I have a laser sight on.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

I have had the MMC's on my P239 since I bought it and really like them. Looking at the XS Big Dots for the CZ P-01. I was wondering if the TruGlo's are going to be durable on a CCW. I have seen some where the TruGlo element is not protected in anyway and could be easily broken. How do the ones that you have look Gary?

The gun store should be able to put the new sights on for you. It will take less than five minutes. I have changed sights on all of my Glocks and everybody in the office. I have a Glock sight tool and the gun store should have one too. Night sights are good for LEO work but for other problems and/or jobs you just need to know how to point and shoot. But with the light rails on guns I don't need them for work. But if it makes you feel better, get them.

frankmako

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer45
    I have had the MMC's on my P239 since I bought it and really like them. Looking at the XS Big Dots for the CZ P-01. I was wondering if the TruGlo's are going to be durable on a CCW. I have seen some where the TruGlo element is not protected in anyway and could be easily broken. How do the ones that you have look Gary?

Howdy!
    On the sample sights that I have (mounted on my Glock 30) the fiber optic/tritium components are totally encased in steel. There is a slot milled above the fiber optic rods to let ambient light in, and of course they are open to the rear so you can see the "dots". Otherwise, anything delicate seems to be pretty well protected - it is all recessed within the steel body of the sight. Thus far, I could not be happier with them.

It's neat that both you and your daughter are excited about going shooting together. You'll never regret the time you spend together! And doing something that will, in the future, keep her safe - that's just an extra bonus.

My dad used like to shoot when I was a kid - target shooting, varmint shooting, etc. whenever he had a little time off (rare because he worked a lot of double shifts). But with 4 daughters, in that era, I guess it never occurred to him that we might enjoy learning how to shoot - back then, there was "girl stuff" and "guy stuff" and never the twain shall meet. I didn't find out until I was an adult that I love to shoot, and by that time he had moved away after my mom died.

Well, I guess it's never too late, right? I think I will call him tomorrow and talk guns, and see if next time I visit him in Florida, we can go shooting together.

Thanks for the inspiration - let us know how your daughter does and tell her "Stay safe and shoot straight! " from all of us here at the forum.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

LibertyGal,

I gave my daughter a Walther P-22 for her 12th birthday, and we go out behind the holster shop and shoot pop cans a couple times a week. I've never been a fan of girl stuff/guy stuff. My son will learn to cook (and shoot), just as my daughter will learn to shoot (and cook). I am a big believer in kids being taught necessary "life skills". Being able to defend themselves is at the top of the list, because if they are dead, the rest of what their mom and I teach them is wasted.
    (And for any hysterical types reading this, my daughter's pistol is locked up in the safe except when we are shooting - and she is closely supervised at that time.)
    I hope that you and your dad can spend a bit of time "burning powder" together. Don't wait - you never know how much time that you have with the folks that you love.

I also found that while shooting with her is a perfect time to undo the damage done at school (indoctrination). Although her school is better than most, private Christian School. They teach mostly from the conservative side. I was explaining to her that is some places you are not allowed to own guns or go shooting. She said " What? Dad how do people defend themselves? Boy was this perfect or what I went into how the left would rather see a woman/girl get raped and murdered than to have her protect herself with her own weapon that she carried lawfully and is trained to use. I then found out that she was going to school having this same discussion with her friends. Man i feel good about that.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Hi Rugerman,

I startd my children off at an early age with 22 pistols. I think my daughter was 8 and my son was 12. We had many, many happy times togeather shooting and then hunting and fishing. Both of them are grown now but both have a love and respect for guns, the outdoors and the right for people to have different opinions. My son, the Marine, is now 29 and my daughter, the Federal Law Enforcement Officer, is now 26. I gave her my Colt Detective Special which she has with her all the time. Hope you and your daughter make many fine memories. God Bless and shoot safe.

Also, Gary, thanks for the info on the TruGlo's. I will be looking into them.
    USAF Retired

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer45
    Hi Rugerman,

I startd my children off at an early age with 22 pistols. I think my daughter was 8 and my son was 12. We had many, many happy times togeather shooting and then hunting and fishing. Both of them are grown now but both have a love and respect for guns, the outdoors and the right for people to have different opinions. My son, the Marine, is now 29 and my daughter, the Federal Law Enforcement Officer, is now 26. I gave her my Colt Detective Special which she has with her all the time. Hope you and your daughter make many fine memories. God Bless and shoot safe.
    When I first got married, a stepdaughter came as part of the package. Wow. Instant "DAD." She was six when we married. She's now 25. She expressed an interest in my guns early as I already had a carry permit at the time and of course I was shooting IPSC. So when she turned 7 I started having her help me clean all the guns I used at the range. She learned SAFETY first, then nomenclature and dissembly/assembly. When she turned 10 I taught her to shoot. We started out just like I start ALL my CCW students (I don't care if you're an AIRBORNE RANGER), with the Ruger Super Single Six 22LR...well okay, I'll let a Ranger use the 22WMR. She loved it. Took to it like a duck to water. I moved her right on up, but she never really liked the autos. "Too much stuff moving" she said. She REALLY liked the Ruger SP101, so when she graduated from college, I gave it to her. Now she's married and they've still got it. She married the son of a retired naval officer. Good stock. Conservative, pro-gun. I just now have to make sure he's a good as she is in the gun handling dept. LOL

Short and sweet, for a novice shooter you can't go better than the Super Single Six 22LR/22WMR, IMHO.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links