Night sight help

This is a discussion on Night sight help within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I bought my new GLOCK 27 and will go shoot it for the first time tomorrow, I actually can't take it home until ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night sight help

Night sight help

OK, so I bought my new GLOCK 27 and will go shoot it for the first time tomorrow, I actually can't take it home until Tuesday but they will let me go shoot it while waiting for the 10 days to pass. I have already bought the mag finger +1 extension, the extended slide lock and the plug.

The gun has standard non-adjustable sights and I was thinking about putting meprolights on it or some other night sights. Has anyone done this with the GLOCK non-adjustables - changed them that is? Is it even possible?

Thanks for the help!

Oh yeah I am also real excited that my 16 year old daughter is going with me and wants to learn to shoot. I am going to rent a 22 pistol for her to start with then I will let her shoot my Ruger P85 if she handles that good. She has been bugging me to go for weeks. I been working with her on our property with the pellet guns so she understands the basic safety requirements. She is a good shot with the pellet guns.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    OK, so I bought my new GLOCK 27 and will go shoot it for the first time tomorrow, I actually can't take it home until Tuesday but they will let me go shoot it while waiting for the 10 days to pass. I have already bought the mag finger +1 extension, the extended slide lock and the plug.

The gun has standard non-adjustable sights and I was thinking about putting meprolights on it or some other night sights. Has anyone done this with the GLOCK non-adjustables - changed them that is? Is it even possible?

Thanks for the help!

Oh yeah I am also real excited that my 16 year old daughter is going with me and wants to learn to shoot. I am going to rent a 22 pistol for her to start with then I will let her shoot my Ruger P85 if she handles that good. She has been bugging me to go for weeks. I been working with her on our property with the pellet guns so she understands the basic safety requirements. She is a good shot with the pellet guns.
    Im a 1911 man , and just out of curiosity I bought a 27 that was a trade in, I couldnt carry it and conceal it as well , It wasent very accurate,And after I did some research I found that the Glock .40 cal barrel wont fully support the case head. glock talk will show you this , Im not knocking Glocks ,there just not for meI just wish I would have studied them more before I spent my money , Good luck with yours.

erh

Thanks for the help!

Mepro's are nice sights, so are Novak's, and I really like the "shrouded" MMC's... Lastly, I stronly suggest professional installation, and wanted to remind you; there's not a thing wrong w/ fixed sights either.
    Last edited by erh; May 14th, 2006 at 08:30 AM.
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Quote Originally Posted by jrad38
    Im a 1911 man , and just out of curiosity I bought a 27 that was a trade in, I couldnt carry it and conceal it as well , It wasent very accurate,And after I did some research I found that the Glock .40 cal barrel wont fully support the case head. glock talk will show you this , Im not knocking Glocks ,there just not for meI just wish I would have studied them more before I spent my money , Good luck with yours.
    I like the Novak Tritium Sites they are a bit more narrow and whem you line them up, that's where the projectile hits!

On Glock....I used to think the same way. I always mashed the trigger and grouped low and left. I have the gun re-worked by a guy named David Bowie, www.bowietacticalconcepts.com , I now shoot the Glock as accurate as my Les Baer 1911. The Glock trigger pull is like 7 pounds from the factory, mine was re-worked to 4-4.5 pounds, had the grip reduced, finger grooves removed and a few other things.

Most often it's the shooter and not the gun. I learned that the hard way.
    The FIRST rule in a gunfight is to BRING a GUN!
    -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Yes the sights can be changed out. Going to night sights, you might consider using gun smith services to install the new sights. Plenty of good night sights out there. Have fun shooting with your daughter.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

[QUOTE=Pajohnohio] left. I have the gun re-worked by a guy named David Bowie, [QUOTE]

Whoa who would have thunk it David Bowie does gun work now wonder if he'll sing his greatest hit to ya as hes working on it ??

Yes you can change out the night sights if you plan to get a few glocks i would invest in the tool its about 80$ for a good rear sight tool

Work on getting used to it before you worry about how you good if you never shot a glock a lot take awhile to get used to the trigger

Administrator
    I would only add the night sights once you decide if that pistol will be your primary carry firearm...or not.
    If YES, (it will be your main carry firearm) then (by all means) go for the night sights. They do have value.

I have had meprolights put on all of my glocks so it can be done. let me just say that a glock serviceman needs to put these on. you have to have special tools to remove and replace these sights.

Originally Posted by jrad38

What does it mean won't fully support the case head. Man for me I have to disagree. I have shot it and it is accurate as all get out and I am not changing the sights.

I purchased a Sight installation tool. I took off the crappy stock sights and installed Trijicon 3 dots. I like Trijicons because if one light breaks they can be replaced, but with Mepro you have to replace the entire sight. Big difference in accuracy. IMO Adjustable is not needed.

My gunsmith (now he's happily retired and shooting IDPA/IPSC on a global scale) always said that Trijicons were over rated and over priced. I have always put Meps or MMC's on my guns. OR I get them factory pre-installed with whatever brand the factory uses (might be in-house).
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Yeah, it is interesting that "Trijicon" packaged sights will go for $30-40 more than those sold under another name (but with the "Trijicon" name, in little white letters, on them).

MMC is excellent, as are Meprolight and XS.

The case-head issue is semi relevant. Basically all autos leave some portion of the case-head unsupported, where the ramp ascends to the chamber. Unless you have sub-gun style, straight, in-line feed, it's a necessity. Glock does push the envelope, with a few fractions of millimeters more free-space than other makers, with the .40/.45. Good brass, no super +++PPP loads, you should be fine. Be sure to change your mainspring out regularly, though. (Don't think Dean S. quite gets the connection between the extra gap and the combined effect of that with a weakening mainspring- but that's another story.)

Howdy!
    I have been experimenting with nite sites myself, and I truly believe that the TruGlo TFO's are the finest system out there for defensive applications. They just jump right out there in daylight, twilight or total darkness. My only reservation with them is that they come stock in a "triple green"configuration, and at my age, it takes a split second to decide which one is the front. To alleviate this problem, TruGlo has agreed to make them up for me with yellow rear dots. I have a sample set on my Glock 30, and they are as close to perfect as any tool that I've ever used. I will have them in stock (for all model Glocks - can order others) in about 3-4 weeks. Please gimme a call if you'd like to be put on the waiting list. Thanks!

What would the price be?Ballpark?

What would the price be?Ballpark?
    They are $99.95 (that's actually below list price), plus $6 Priority Mail shipping and insurance. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links