Bug out Bag, Vehicle Emergency Kit, First Aid Kit

Bug out Bag, Vehicle Emergency Kit, First Aid Kit

This is a discussion on Bug out Bag, Vehicle Emergency Kit, First Aid Kit within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I've been reading up on Bug out bags and basic vehicle emergency kits and first aid kits. I want to start getting these put ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug out Bag, Vehicle Emergency Kit, First Aid Kit

Question Bug out Bag, Vehicle Emergency Kit, First Aid Kit

Ok, I've been reading up on Bug out bags and basic vehicle emergency kits and first aid kits. I want to start getting these put together and have come up with a list of items I think I should include. Please give me your input on things I may be forgetting, or things that I should leave out b/c they are not essential. I dont plan on needing these bags, however just like a firearm, I want one available if I ever do need it.

Bug Out Bag
    Entrenching Tool (Mil Spec)
    Leatherman / Multitool
    Knife
    Paracord
    duct tape
    MRE's
    Water
    Water purification
    Thermal Blanket
    Lighter fluid
    "water proof" matches

Vehical Emergency Kit
    Flares
    Reflective triangle
    Jumper Cables
    Thermal Blanket
    Oil

First Aid Kit
    Gauze
    Tape
    Asprin
    Ace Bandage
    Antiseptic
    Sterile Wipes
    Tweezers
    Scissors
    Anti-Burn cream
    Anti-Diarrhea meds
    Turnicate
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

For the vehicle:

Water (a couple of gallons)
    Candles
    Thermal Bags (not just blankets)
    Lighter and/or matches

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Gloves, gloves, and gloves.

Mechanix Gloves on your main bag (hung on not in)
    Leatherwork gloves in your bag
    Lots of rubber gloves for practicing universal precautions.

Zip ties
    Headlamp
    Flashlight
    Large towel

somethings I've thought of since posting:

Spare Batteries
    A few changes of cloths (underwear, socks, pants, shirts)
    Marker / Pen / Notebook
    Gloves (work / disposable)
    Radio
    toothbrush/toothpaste/deodorant/etc
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Mechanix gloves I didn't think of because I always have a pair of M-Pact Covert gloves on me (hands or back pocket). I probably should consider a 2nd set for my B.O.B though.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would definitly leave the toothpaste and deoderant out. Smelling nice goes out the window any time a Bug out bag is needed. Definitly not a necessity.
    Walk softly ...

BigStick-
    I can somewhat agree with the deodorant, but disagree on the toothpaste. Dental hygiene is a critical factor in combat readiness. When a guys goes down from an abscess or a cavity, it kills your mission capability. Failure to maintain dental health can actually kill you. Poor dental hygiene is one of the "stealth" causes of heart disease. I'm not a doctor, but I do have to keep my platoon at full strength, if at all possible. In a long-term survival situation there are obviously alternatives to OTC toothpaste, but I wouldn't recommend ignoring the issue.

Bfunk-
    This is a rough framework you might work from, though there are hundreds of lists available online. Check backpacking and survival sites (e.g. SurvivalBlog.com) and then adapt to meet your own needs. Backpacker magazine is

Mini kit (fits in a Camelback M.U.L.E. or comparable pack)
    -Folding Lock-back knife
    -Compass
    -Matches/Lighter
    -Tinder
    -Flashlight
    -First Aid Kit
    -Space Blanket/Survival Bag
    -Water Purification Tablets
    -Water bottle/Canteen
    -Canteen Cup (aluminum) (canteen & cup in a molle pouch attached to the pack, comes in handy for purifying water when your 3L hydration bladder runs out)
    -Duct tape (folded flat)
    -100 ft 550-Cord
    -Fishing line, hooks, sinkers
    -Scalpel/razor blade
    -Fleece cap
    -Ultra-thin Neoprene glove liners
    -Work gloves
    -Compact waterproof jacket (folds into itself and zips shut)
    -Sunscreen, chapstick & bug repellent
    -Couple of powerbars
    -Can of dip (what can I say? It's important to me!)

The M.U.L.E. then can fit inside a larger ruck I have that has two sets of clothes (base layer, casual, insulating, and shielding) 5 pairs of socks, and some other tools and things I consider essential.

Vehicle Kit (not counting mechanic tools or fluids)- Preferably in a 4x4 vehicle
    -3-10 gallons of water (2x 5gal jerry can is great!) or a couple cases of 3x 1gal
    -Case of MREs
    -5x8' Camo tarp
    -Sleeping bag(s)
    -Compact tent
    -Bundle firewood/charcoal & fluid (cheap and easier than chopping it your first night stranded in the rain and cold)
    -E-tool
    -Hatchet
    -Extra cigs/dip (as applicable, 'cause when you need it, you REALLY need it! LOL)
    -Short handle full-size spade shovel (summer), short-handle "coal" shovel (winter)

In the truck I also have a full complement of mechanic tools (which I mostly know how to use, BTW :D), spare parts, and most of the necessary tools and patching gear (always adding to it!) to keep the truck on the road, short of a catastrophic engine or drive-train failure.

And honestly, I have a good number of other bags and kits in various states of readiness and deployability that I need to sift through and refine.

There's another post on this by ScubaDuba, really has it locked on. As a Ranger should.

Keep in mind, that you should always layer your security, both on a physical perimeter level and a personal gear level. Just as you layer your clothes, you can layer your kits. They should be compatible and supplementary while not being overly redundant. You should be able to ditch your vehicle and survive, and then if worst comes to worst, ditch your pack, and still survive with a small pouch or what's in your vest & pockets.

Semper Fi
    Last edited by HardCorps79; January 4th, 2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: misread op
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I would definitly leave the toothpaste and deoderant out. Smelling nice goes out the window any time a Bug out bag is needed. Definitly not a necessity.
    This is why I don't believe in Bug Out Bags and instead roll with the Bag of Evil. I carry things I need based on experience with plenty of room to add stuff. Brushing your teeth can make you feel a little bit human during a bad time.- George

This is the BEST forum for Concealed Carry & a great community of helpful people.

The best site I've found for survival & Bugging Out (or Bugging in) is NearDeathExperiments.Com Check it out- there is whole section for bug out bags.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Please allow me to disagree.

I work as an emergency manager and have a few disasters under my belt.

Leaving personal hygiene items OUT of a bug-out kit is going to lead to discomfort that will lead to misery that will lead to the warrior becoming a casualty. What do we send to troops overseas in the Care Packages?

I want a way to shave, to brush my teeth, comb my hair, and a shower once in a while. Even a hot shower in a cold dark house made my misery bearable in a prolonged winter storm that left 80% if my County dark for days.

Look at the Preparedness Calendar at Altus Emergency Management in the links section at the bottom of the page. Using this calendar, in 26 weeks, you have a kit. Keep using it to replenish what you put in the kit. That way it always stays fresh. Don't forget medications, glasses, hearing aides, etc.

There's a blog called Prepared Society that discusses just this issue. I post there as well. I don't own it. If you can tolerate the few "tin foil hats" there, it's a good place to pick up some other ideas.

While on the topic of personal responsibility for preparedness, please remember YOU prepare for YOU and those with you, including pets, if you care about them. I'd like to NOT hear in my headset YOU say, "I can't leave my animals to go to a shelter to get a meal". Yes, I have heard those words, more than once.

Thanks for letting me share my experience.
    Lloyd Colston KC5FM
    Altus, OK USA http://wx5em.us
    http://kc5fm.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5fm View Post
    Please allow me to disagree.

I work as an emergency manager and have a few disasters under my belt.

Leaving personal hygiene items OUT of a bug-out kit is going to lead to discomfort that will lead to misery that will lead to the warrior becoming a casualty. What do we send to troops overseas in the Care Packages?

I want a way to shave, to brush my teeth, comb my hair, and a shower once in a while. Even a hot shower in a cold dark house made my misery bearable in a prolonged winter storm that left 80% if my County dark for days.

Look at the Preparedness Calendar at Altus Emergency Management in the links section at the bottom of the page. Using this calendar, in 26 weeks, you have a kit. Keep using it to replenish what you put in the kit. That way it always stays fresh. Don't forget medications, glasses, hearing aides, etc.

There's a blog called Prepared Society that discusses just this issue. I post there as well. I don't own it. If you can tolerate the few "tin foil hats" there, it's a good place to pick up some other ideas.

While on the topic of personal responsibility for preparedness, please remember YOU prepare for YOU and those with you, including pets, if you care about them. I'd like to NOT hear in my headset YOU say, "I can't leave my animals to go to a shelter to get a meal". Yes, I have heard those words, more than once.

Thanks for letting me share my experience.
    From another emergency management professional, I concur. Litle things often do make the biggest difference.
    And a double ditto on the pet preparedness. Keep food, blankets and cages handy.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I actually agree with you guys that hygene is important, and I can understand how toothpaste can prevent major problems. I was just thinking along the lines for a BOB specifically in the car as something to grab to get you back to your home/base where you can more fully equip yourself and prepare for the long term after a major event. I think those things are important, just not in a BOB. Possibly we just view the BOB differently.
    Walk softly ...

Maybe I'm not using the term B.O.B correctly. This will not be a "in-car speciffic" bag. This will be something that will be in the trunk while i'm away from home, and at home when I am there. Not only would it be used in case I need to survive while trying to get home, but also if I would need to survive while leaving home.

Thank you all for your input, I will check out the sites that you have mentioned.
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

one more question. in a pack such as the M.U.L.E that has a bladder, should I store it with water inside, or hope that when I need it water will be accessable. Or should I buy some Emergecy Drinking Water Packets that have shelf lifes similar to that of MRE's?
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

Let me just say that Bug Out Bags may not necessarily contain all items you want in an emergency. The Bug Out bag in my opinion is for getting to a safe location. It is not necessarily your entire emergency kit. I carry the essentials like a trauma kit, respirator, light, ammo, knife, gun, etc. in a backpack when I go to work. I leave all the rest of my emergency equipment in the truck. That way if I can't get to my truck right away I have the essentials on me.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links