GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP. - Page 2

GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP.

This is a discussion on GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my case I can and probably will. The thing is though, it was the size I wanted - one handgun - would 'hide' just ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP.

Senior Moderator
    In my case I can and probably will. The thing is though, it was the size I wanted - one handgun - would 'hide' just about anywhere, including an attache case, under the seat of a car, etc.

I was just, hmmm, surprised to see that single tiny little latch on a 16 ga steel box, I just can't warm up to that.

And now, I'm taking my coffee and a bag of orange slices out to the shop to work on a project that I hope to 'unveil' soon.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Has anybody actually tried to open one of these using a screwdriver? The thing might prove to be more secure than it seems. Just sayin'...
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    In my case I can and probably will. The thing is though, it was the size I wanted - one handgun - would 'hide' just about anywhere, including an attache case, under the seat of a car, etc.

I was just, hmmm, surprised to see that single tiny little latch on a 16 ga steel box, I just can't warm up to that.

And now, I'm taking my coffee and a bag of orange slices out to the shop to work on a project that I hope to 'unveil' soon.
    Too bad you don't like it. I bought 2 of them as I said and I'm ok with the level of security they provide. Crooks don't care about locks anway. They're for honest people as I said. Hope you find something to your liking. Have you looked at COM safes ?

Cheaper but they require a key.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    Has anybody actually tried to open one of these using a screwdriver? The thing might prove to be more secure than it seems. Just sayin'...
    I agree; I've been wondering about that myself. If it were not for wasting $89, I'd sure give that a try. I may anyway; it just might be worth $89 to know.

It may be that the pin is 'grade 8' and any more pin strength could not be justified by the strength of the 16 ga body.

Well, I think I'll give Gun Vault a call and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Too bad you don't like it. I bought 2 of them as I said and I'm ok with the level of security they provide. Crooks don't care about locks anway. They're for honest people as I said. Hope you find something to your liking. Have you looked at COM safes ?

Cheaper but they require a key.
    I'm not concerned about crooks; and if a person is honest, I could put the gun in an unlocked box. I just want to be able to defeat a person of 'opportunity' that has nothing more than a screwdriver available.

Currently, I am using the MicroVault. At the moment I have a G17 and a PX4 with an extended 20 mag in it and they fit just right. I didn't even realize you could get two guns in the MV-500. Right now, I'm leaning toward keeping it; I think the purpose I want it for is at least partially met, the size is just perfect for me, and it is convenient having the key and finger pad.

Everyone in this thread send me $10 each and I'll buy one and try and get into it with various tools documenting the process.

I think I'm kidding. ;)
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Do we actually know how resistant this box is to an unauthorized entry attempt? How long is an adequate amount of time to resist entry using a screwdriver?

If no one has actually tried, all this is conjecture.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Do we actually know how resistant this box is to an unauthorized entry attempt? How long is an adequate amount of time to resist entry using a screwdriver?

If no one has actually tried, all this is conjecture.
    No, we don't know, that's the point. What we know is that it has a very small pin, yet the manufacturer claims, and I quote,

"INCREDIBLE SECURITY, RELIABILITY AND PORTABILITY"

I don't know that it's accurate to claim "this is all conjecture". I think what we're doing here is what we often do; lacking opportunity to actually test, we look at the facts available and evaluate what we see based on past experience with things that might be similar.

Hence, when I read, "INCREDIBLE SECURITY", discovering that incredible security relies on a small pin does conjure up some doubt.

But I do agree, until it's actually tested, or the manufacturer can supply info, which I'm about to check on, we really don't know the full implications.

No, we don't know, that's the point. What we know is that it has a very small pin, yet the manufacturer claims, and I quote,

"INCREDIBLE SECURITY, RELIABILITY AND PORTABILITY"

I don't know that it's accurate to claim "this is all conjecture". I think what we're doing here is what we often do; lacking opportunity to actually test, we look at the facts available and evaluate what we see based on past experience with things that might be similar.

Hence, when I read, "INCREDIBLE SECURITY", discovering that incredible security relies on a small pin does conjure up some doubt.

But I do agree, until it's actually tested, or the manufacturer can supply info, which I'm about to check on, we really don't know the full implications.
    Is that reason enough to return it? Maybe so. I guess no one wants to find out the "Incredible Security" actually isn't. Who knows how much testing if any of the lock actually occurred. They should post some sort of test if one is available, like a UL rating or something similar. That way you could make up your mind based on facts, not possible marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    These are not designed to prevent a determined thief with a lot of time and tools. They are designed to keep the firearm accessible to the owner while keeping kids out.
    +1 Perfect
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    +1 Perfect
    You must have missed my response to the post you quoted. It should be more than clear by now that this has absolutely nothing to do with protecting something against a determined thief with time and tools. I never implied that was the purpose or anything of the sort.

BTW, your big safe will not protect your possessions against a determined thief with time and tools either. I could take this:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

and cut an entire wall out of a full size safe in minutes. Why even bother with the door?

It or one similar like I bought for COM is perfect for when you travel and want to keep your kids from getting curious while you are in the shower or something equivalent while in your hotel room.

You must have missed my response to the post you quoted....
    Maybe.

You are considering what they advertised about the product. I always take such claims with a grain of salt. Not with all products, but with something like that.

I worked for a short time in a lock shop. I learned a lot, and one thing that stuck with me is hidden is most likely better than secure. In a way, locks are designed to be defeated.

So to sum up, nice thick, heavy, semi hidden safe for security. All the rest is something to keep young children out.

IMHO
    NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Maybe.

You are considering what they advertised about the product. I always take such claims with a grain of salt. Not with all products, but with something like that.

I worked for a short time in a lock shop. I learned a lot, and one thing that stuck with me is hidden is most likely better than secure. In a way, locks are designed to be defeated.

So to sum up, nice thick, heavy, semi hidden safe for security. All the rest is something to keep young children out.

IMHO
    I couldn't find one locally to see, so yes, I was considering what they advertised about the product, what else would I go by? We buy all kinds of stuff based on advertised claims.

If the safe had come with two 3/16" pins for latches instead of one 1/8" pin then I'd have been happy. BTW, that 3/16" pin would have more than double the strength of the pin.

The problem with hidden, is the number of hidden guns that have been found by children that then resulted in injury. If hidden were the solution then a shoe box or just tucking the gun under a mattress would be as secure as a locked box, but we know that isn't true.

There is a vast margin between "...So to sum up, nice thick, heavy, semi hidden safe for security...." and, "...All the rest is something to keep young children out...". For example, what age children would apply to "all else"? Is it so difficult to design a 'vault' that is compact and yet would resist an adult with a screwdriver - that's all I've ever alluded to.

And, no, I'm not expecting something to resist an adult with a screwdriver for hours, maybe 10-15 minutes.

I have every confidence that my plastic Pelican case with two locks on it would defeat most adults armed with no more than a tool to pry with. Yet it would hardly qualify as a nice, thick, heavy safe.

Administrator
    HEre is a review I wrote for another site on the Console Vault. I have had it now for a couple of months and I really like it. It is very sturdy and strong.

The Console Vault - Conceal Carry Forum
    XD Sub-Compact .40
    XDm Compact .40
    Ruger LCP
    Kimber Ultra Carry II

...problem with hidden, is the number of hidden guns that have been found by children that then resulted in injury....
    Agree fully. If children are in the house, hidden alone is not enough.

When children are staying at my home, everything not in use gets a trigger or cable lock. In addition, hidden or locked in a safe.

The go to firearm is either on me, or in simple lockbox.

...For example, what age children would apply to "all else"?...
    This is a difficult question. In general, 16 or older, but when in doubt, everything is locked up. Other people's children, and even some adults, there is no age. Everything is locked up.

...I have every confidence that my plastic Pelican case with two locks on it would defeat most adults armed with no more than a tool to pry with. Yet it would hardly qualify as a nice, thick, heavy safe.
    This is where I don't agree fully. In my experience, say a thief or teen, might be more aware on how to defeat the lock than the average adult (for various reasons, including the internet).

I respect that you felt that what they advertised should be what is provided. I'm just also sharing, based on my experience, most fast access gun safes are far from secure.

The lock shop I worked at opened several, with no marks, and with no special tool. Access to the safe and a little time is all it takes (I had a little over 1.5 years experience, was shown how after a few months).

If you don't want a child to have access to a firearm, those quick open lock boxes are not the way to go. They might be good for something near the night stand as you sleep. Other than that, IMHO, carry it, or unload and secure it in a safe.
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links