GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP.

This is a discussion on GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thanis ...If you don't want a child to have access to a firearm, those quick open lock boxes are not the way ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    ...If you don't want a child to have access to a firearm, those quick open lock boxes are not the way to go. They might be good for something near the night stand as you sleep. Other than that, IMHO, carry it, or unload and secure it in a safe.
    Thanis,
    I understand what you're saying, but there are times/situations where my safe may not be accessible - like visiting a relative/friend and becoming involved in activities that don't allow carry.

Plus, I have no expectations of stopping kids with 'internet lock knowledge' and tools on them to deal with a lock. It is highly unlikely that my gun box with ever have to withstand that. As I have stated repeatedly, my level of concern is a kid 'in discovery' with a short window of opportunity and only a screwdriver to work with - if he can even find a screwdriver.

The attractive thing to me about the MV-500 was it's compactness and quick entry. As I said, based on "incredible security", I was expecting a bit more than what it actually is.

FWIW, I've built a couple of bolt systems for small vault doors - six, 1/2" bolts and and I guarantee a screwdriver wouldn't come close to breaking it, so I too, know something about security.

Just a small thing like two 3/16" pins spaced appropriately would suffice for what I wanted. And that would have been quite doable and practical without requiring any more space. I realize that would have made it cost a bit more, but I'd be willing to pay more for more security in that compact of a vault.

Edit:
    Thanis, shoot, I forgot to tell you how much I appreciate your insight and comments - thanks!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    These are not designed to prevent a determined thief with a lot of time and tools. They are designed to keep the firearm accessible to the owner while keeping kids out.
    I agree with you. These are designed to be good at keeping someone other than the owner from having easy access. You want Fort Knox, buy Fort Knox. I use these and they are great for what they are designed to do.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i'm having a problem with the whole point of this thread to be honest...the op apparently expected to find safe like security in an $89 purchase...its time to put on the big boy pants and come to the realization that that isnt going to happen...take this opportunity and your apparent knowlegde of security to design and market something better for the price...it will be a challenge...

for information purposes you might want to do an internet search regarding defeating a full size safe...youll find a video of 2 guys who pry open a pretty robust safe in about 30 seconds...and many showing guys who can pick their way into one in very little time...

if youre really worried about a curious teen with access to a screwdriver you shouldnt be leaving yor gun even locked near their access...if they want in that badly where they would be willing to pry open your safe they are pretty bad off to begin with...

most small safes are merely to prevent snatch and grab theft...thats the best you are going to do...

what you may want to do is invest in a trigger lock or cable lock through the action of your gun inside the safe...then if its found by one of those curious teens they have another challenge ahead of them on their journey into a life of crime...simple precautions that could prevent your concerns...

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i'm having a problem with the whole point of this thread to be honest...the op apparently expected to find safe like security in an $89 purchase...its time to put on the big boy pants and come to the realization that that isnt going to happen...take this opportunity and your apparent knowlegde of security to design and market something better for the price...it will be a challenge...

for information purposes you might want to do an internet search regarding defeating a full size safe...youll find a video of 2 guys who pry open a pretty robust safe in about 30 seconds...and many showing guys who can pick their way into one in very little time...

if youre really worried about a curious teen with access to a screwdriver you shouldnt be leaving yor gun even locked near their access...if they want in that badly where they would be willing to pry open your safe they are pretty bad off to begin with...

most small safes are merely to prevent snatch and grab theft...thats the best you are going to do...

what you may want to do is invest in a trigger lock or cable lock through the action of your gun inside the safe...then if its found by one of those curious teens they have another challenge ahead of them on their journey into a life of crime...simple precautions that could prevent your concerns...
    the line in bold is the EXACT reason I bought a cheap safe.

In Ohio you must lock a gun in the car. While glove box is legally enough I opted for the cheap $30 safe which is miles better then the plastic glove box. If someone breaks into my car they have to find the safe, cut the metal security line or break the lock all while the alarm is blairing.

If you are talking about the $250-$300 Stack-On quality of safe, I'll buy your statement. If you are talking about 750+ pound, multi-bolt, vault-door style safes, then no.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    If you are talking about the $250-$300 Stack-On quality of safe, I'll buy your statement. If you are talking about 750+ pound, multi-bolt, vault-door style safes, then no.
    youre right...it took them about a minute and a half to get into a "premium" quality safe...not a cabinet or economy safe and certainly not a multi thousand dollar safe...but pretty robust nonetheless...the safe in the video does not have a sheet metal door and small bolts...its a decent construction safe comparable to some common purchases....

YouTube - Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video

i'm not going to argue semantics or whats good and what isnt...i'll leave that to the whiners...this thread started with a guy dissatisfied with the security of an $80 safe when there are plenty of other options for safeguarding firearms....if they want in theyll get in...

i'm not going to argue semantics or whats good and what isnt...i'll leave that to the whiners...this thread started with a guy dissatisfied with the security of an $80 safe when there are plenty of other options for safeguarding firearms....if they want in theyll get in...
    I agree with you about the guy complaining about his $90 box - unrealistic expectations.

My disagreement with the video (which I had seen before) is no closeup shots of the door, locking bolts and frame after they pried it open. Again, this was a bottom of the line safe, as far as I am concerned. No safe distributor would ever consider it a premium safe.

All too many people think that no installation is required on a safe. If it weighs 1,500 pounds, maybe. My (1,000 lb loaded) Ft Knox is lag bolted into a concrete floor and into the wall behind it - and it's in the end of a closet. Impervious? No, but it will take far more than those two turkeys had to move/open it.

Have a good week.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Moderator
    I am so weary of explaining over and over I am not expecting the security of a full size gun safe. I am so weary of explaining that I don’t expect this to stop a determined thief. Nor do I expect my full size gun safe to stop a determined thief.

I was very specific that my disappointment was: an 1/8” latch pin on an otherwise fairly robust device that is advertised with incredible security.

I don’t know how many times I’ve had to explain that my full size gun safe is not as portable as I need it to be, so I was looking for something portable. Even in the title I raised the question about advertising something as having “incredible security” and then finding a single, 1/8” locking pin.

I have repeatedly stated my expectations for the device to be resistant to a thief of opportunity with only a screwdriver to work with. Should it completely stop him? Of course not. Should it take him longer? I should hope so.

Some of you need to read before you post. If you did, you'd see that your trivialized view of whining and claims of over-expectations from a $90 security device advertised as incredible security are totally off subject.

So are there any more out there that have the irresistible urge to state the previously known obvious that this thing doesn’t have the security of a full size gun safe or it won’t stop a determined thief? If you do, go back and read my posts and you’ll see that has nothing to do with my assessment of the Microvault’s security.

I challenge any one to find any of my posts that even suggested such a thing. All this thread is about, is a device that could be more secure than it is with no increase in size and little increase in cost.

My CCW instructor (who is a Police Commander) told us a story about the GunVault. They had sold this guy 2000 X pills, but upon raiding his apartment, the pills were no where to be found. But then they found this little black box. They took it to the Fire Department, and it took them 45 minutes to burn, pry, and just generally knock the **** out of it before they could get it open enough to see inside. And there were the pills.

If it takes the Fire Department 45 minutes to get it open with hammers and pickaxes, I'll trust it around my kids. And it doesn't particularly concern me about a burglar, either. If he's going to take it, he'll walk out with it, not take the time to try to get it open.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    My CCW instructor (who is a Police Commander) told us a story about the GunVault. They had sold this guy 2000 X pills, but upon raiding his apartment, the pills were no where to be found. But then they found this little black box. They took it to the Fire Department, and it took them 45 minutes to burn, pry, and just generally knock the **** out of it before they could get it open enough to see inside. And there were the pills.

If it takes the Fire Department 45 minutes to get it open with hammers and pickaxes, I'll trust it around my kids. And it doesn't particularly concern me about a burglar, either. If he's going to take it, he'll walk out with it, not take the time to try to get it open.
    Wow! That is impressive! Unfortunately I have the MicroVault; I doubt it would have that much resistance. But I wasn't looking for that much either. I'd be happy if it'd resist a person with opportunity and a screwdriver, or at least put up a good fight. And the MicroVault may be capable of that, it's just that we simply don't know and the manufacturer won't tell.

Thanks for posting that!

True, but that requirement can be met with something much less expensive than $89. I was hoping for more than a single, tiny little latch.
    Agreed; for 29$ you can just about get the same thing at Harbor freight tools.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Agreed; for 29$ you can just about get the same thing at Harbor freight tools.....
    Hmmm, what's Harbor Freight got? It may be just as good as the MicroVault. If you have a pic or even better a link, I'd appreciate it; if not, don't go to a lot of trouble, I can probably search the HF website and find it - Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    Here's an interesting 'vault' from Harbor Freight:
    - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Notice the large double bolt and 12 ga steel and the $55!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links