GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP.

GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP.

This is a discussion on GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; UPDATE: Since I started this thread, I contacted GunVault and asked them about the resistance of the small pin used in the latch on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GunVault MicroVault-and this is supposed to be security for a gun? pics-Update in OP.

Senior Moderator

UPDATE:
    Since I started this thread, I contacted GunVault and asked them about the resistance of the small pin used in the latch on the MV-500. Here's their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. All of our safes have passed all the requirements set by the California DOJ (Department of Justice)"

Well, that's something, now if we just knew what those requirements were.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I needed a small 'safe' to store a handgun and the GunVault MV 500 micro vault seemed perfect - a key lock plus an electronic lock.

But when the thing arrived, here's what I found - check out the single locking mechanism that keeps your gun secure!!!

Here's the lid and locking pin:

Here's a close up of the same pin - bear in mind this is the ONLY locking mechanism:

And here's the mating latch:

And a close up:

The security is far from what I was looking for and expected. So if you're considering one of these, security is something to think about. IMO, this isn't a very secure safe.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

These are not designed to prevent a determined thief with a lot of time and tools. They are designed to keep the firearm accessible to the owner while keeping kids out.

What chiller said, if you want to lock up your gun safe from thieves use a proper gunsafe. This is intended for nightstand or desk storage to keep curious kids away from firearms overnight or while adults are home and allow quick access when needed.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Moderator
    Time and tools? What about a large screwdriver and 15 seconds?

I have a big gun safe, and BTW I doubt our valuables are as safe in a typical large gun safe from a determined crook with time and tools as we'd like to think. One could buy a small acetylene torch, probably from Harbor Freight, and be in any typical gun safe in minutes.

But, that's not what I'm after; I have numerous situations where it is not practical to use my big safe. Just one of many examples: securing the gun at a relative's home to go swimming, etc. I'm not trying to stop a determined thief with lots of time and tools, it was my intention to secure a gun for short periods of time in some device that would take more that a large screwdriver to open.

I use mine in my car to comply with FOPA when traveling interstate or when flying. For that it's perfect. I didn't really expect security from this box and I don't think Gunvault markets it as such. It's simply a locking case. Locks are for honest people anyway.

Thieves-not so much

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I use mine in my car to comply with FOPA when traveling interstate or when flying. For that it's perfect. I didn't really expect security from this box and I don't think Gunvault markets it as such. It's simply a locking case. Locks are for honest people anyway.

Thieves-not so much
    True, but that requirement can be met with something much less expensive than $89. I was hoping for more than a single, tiny little latch.

I already have several boxes with that latching system...they are built into the dashboards of my various vehicles.

Senior Moderator
    There ya go, very true Hillbilly!

I think they are more for kids also. Wouldn't a thief just take any locked box and open it later?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pelletm View Post
    I think they are more for kids also. Wouldn't a thief just take any locked box and open it later?
    Sure a thief could open it later; they do that with full-sized safes as well, but that's not what I want it for. I want it to secure a gun against an adult (or teenager for that matter) that might discover the box and happen to have access to a large screwdriver to use as a pry device.

Also it makes a much bulkier, heavier object to try to sneak out if I or someone else is home, and the cable all but stops any removal attempt without attracting attention of someone in the home.

Just for kids only? I must have missed that, here's what Gun Vault says. BTW, does vault sound like a kid's only device? But, Let's see if we can get any indication at all that Gun Vault intended this to be security just against kids - from their website:

INCREDIBLE SECURITY, RELIABILITY AND
    PORTABILITY

The MicroVault and MicroBioVault’s unique, notebook-style design allows you to take your handgun or valuables with you. Incredibly compact and lightweight, this safe will fit inside a briefcase or day pack and can be quickly accessed with GunVault’s No-Eyes® keypad or Biometric technology.
    Incredible security - doesn't sound like a kids only device; 16-gauge steel doesn't sound like a kids only device; did I miss that in the specs that this is only good for kids????

I think this Pelican case at a third of the cost with two like-keyed inexpensive locks would be just as secure, if not more so, than the MV-500. For example, this is about the same size, just a little taller and costs $32 without web shopping:

Pelican Cases at Pelican Case Store.com: Pelican 1170 Case in stock at Pelican Case Store.com

In fact, I guess I'll bite the bullet and return the micro Vault and get that Pelican case. More security at a third of the cost. Of course I'll have to supply my own locks, but how much could that cost? And it's not quite as convenient.

Hmmm, I could get three Pelican cases for the price of one MicroVault!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have a $30 small keyed gun safe in my car. It comes with a cable to secure it to something. I have it secured to the car seat frame and slide it under the seat when locked up. Its out of sight out of mind. I rely on the fact they won't find it and if they finally do that they won't have the means to open it. Wishful thinking huh?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I have a $30 small keyed gun safe in my car. It comes with a cable to secure it to something. I have it secured to the car seat frame and slide it under the seat when locked up. Its out of sight out of mind. I rely on the fact they won't find it and if they finally do that they won't have the means to open it. Wishful thinking huh?
    LOL, well maybe so, but isn't that true of our large gun safes as well? I.e. we're hoping the 'thief(s)' won't know it's there ahead of time, won't have any tools with them to open a safe, and won't, as happened in my area, handtruck the safe to a truck and haul it off. Perhaps our most wishful thinking is that they won't bring a small acteylene torch to open the safe.

Actually, I pretty much see it the way you do - first I hope they won't find it, if they do they won't have the means to open it. By 'means' all I mean is a large screwdriver. I was looking for a security box that could resist a screwdriver; I'm not so sure the Micro-Vault can do that.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    LOL, well maybe so, but isn't that true of our large gun safes as well? I.e. we're hoping the 'thief(s)' won't know it's there ahead of time, won't have any tools with them to open a safe, and won't, as happened in my area, handtruck the safe to a truck and haul it off. Perhaps our most wishful thinking is that they won't bring a small acteylene torch to open the safe.

Actually, I pretty much see it the way you do - first I hope they won't find it, if they do they won't have the means to open it. By 'means' all I mean is a large screwdriver. I was looking for a security box that could resist a screwdriver; I'm not so sure the Micro-Vault can do that.
    the safe I have is fairly robust for the money I spent on it. The hinge is internal and spans the whole back. I will take pics when I get off work here. The weak point would definitely be the lock but then again isn't the lock almost always the weak point?

Tangle, I know how you feel. Theirs nothing worse than ordering a product, wait for it to show up, then find out it's junk.

What a disappointing feeling.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Tangle, I know how you feel. Theirs nothing worse than ordering a product, wait for it to show up, then find out it's junk.

What a disappointing feeling.
    If it's not what you wanted, could you return it for a refund? That seems to be a reasonable course of action.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links