Unimax Red or Green ???

Unimax Red or Green ???

This is a discussion on Unimax Red or Green ??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about ordering one of these for my XD45 that is my HD gun. Seem to have very good reviews and i love the small ...

Thread: Unimax Red or Green ???

Unimax Red or Green ???

Thinking about ordering one of these for my XD45 that is my HD gun. Seem to have very good reviews and i love the small compact design of them. My question is which is a better laser to have, red or green, and why is it that the green is more expensive ?? I myself like the red dot, but if the green is better for XX reason than i will go for that one. I did a quick search and didnt find anything on here about it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Taken Straight from Lasermax's Website
    LaserMax: :

What’s the big deal about green lasers? Why is the US military converting to green lasers? How does the Uni-Green help my shooting? And how do those wizards at LaserMax do it, anyway?

First, some background:

Green and the Human Eye
    Stars in the night sky might appear white, but actually they emit a lot of colors. Hot stars emit more blue light, and cooler stars emit more red. Our sun is medium temperature for a star. The sun emits more green than any other color (see diagram below).

In bright light, our eyes are capable of seeing rainbow colors from violet to red, with peak visibility in the green. In other words, our eyes are most sensitive to the color that is most available from sunlight: green.

Color Sensitivity and Ambient Light
    Our eyes are roughly four times more sensitive to green than to red under bright lighting conditions (see visibility diagram). When we’re dark adapted the effect is even more pronounced.

Our eyes adapt rapidly to changing light conditions and most of the time we don’t even notice. Typical indoor lighting is actually very dim compared to a bright sunny day outdoors. Since our eyes are less sensitive to light when it is bright and more sensitive when the ambient is dim, the same laser will look dim in sunlight and bright indoors or dusk-to-dawn.

SWAT application; thank you for your service, gentlemen.

The shooter needs a color that works best in both bright light and dim light. This is the advantage of green. We can see it farther away (longer range) and under a wider variety of lighting conditions than we can with red. The advantage in an on-the-move shooting situation could make the critical difference in urban combat, whether for military or law enforcement applications.

That Pulsating LaserMax Beam
    LaserMax goes another step further in providing a laser beam that is quickly acquired by the eye: the beam pulsates. Why? Our eyes are much more sensitive to flashing light than continuous or steady-on light. This fact has been well known for decades. It is the reason that emergency vehicles have flashers. The pulsating LaserMax beam means that a shooter can track muzzle position in his or her peripheral vision while scanning for multiple assailants. The pulsating also indicates that this green laser beam means business. .

Military application; thank you for your service, gentlemen.

So LaserMax provides the highest power allowed by law, delivers it in the color most easily seen by the eye in the widest variety of lighting conditions, and pulsates the beam for most rapid acquisition. All together, the LaserMax Uni-Green is the most visible laser aiming device allowed by law.

IT ISN’T EASY BEING GREEN!
    Current diode laser technology does not give green light. LaserMax uses sophisticated techniques using multiple crystals, filters and other optical components to convert commercial laser diode output into green light in the smallest package commercially available.

SOME THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
    Eye safety: The fancy optical filters that we put in are expensive, but they are important! Green laser technology emits harmful infrared light that can damage the eye. LaserMax filters the infrared out so you (and anyone who is on the receiving end) is safe from eye damage. Buyer beware. Many manufacturers do not use filters.

Recoil: Green lasers are much more complicated to build than red, blue, or infrared. They can’t all take the recoil. Our Uni-Green has been live-fire tested with thousands of rounds on punishing weapons including AR-15s and shotguns. Buyer beware. Most green lasers are not built for live fire

Temperature: Green lasers are sensitive to temperature. Most will work between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit. LaserMax uses proprietary technology to extend the range of operation to 40-100 degrees Fahrenheit, making the Uni-Green practical for temperate climates, home defense and indoor public spaces (law enforcement).

Power output: To compensate for temperature sensitivity, some manufacturers exceed the output power allowed by law. Even green light can damage the eyes if it is too bright. You can be assured that the LaserMax Uni-Green is completely eye safe and compliant with FDA regulations.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Moderator
    Here is the real difference between green and red lasers that matters to you or me.

On a bright sunny day, a red laser is pretty much invisible past 45 yards.

The green laser can be seen easily out to a couple of hundred yards.

Having used both green and red lasers, I can testify to the fact that the pulsating green laser is supieror to a pulsating red laser.

Green is definatley the way to go.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys, that was very informative! I guess i couldve just went to their site but i usually look for reviews instead of advertisment. Looks like i'll be going with the green then.
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...

1*

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    dsee, that was great info and thanks for giving the details. I aprecaited the reading. I think a good summary of all that is: bottom line, green lasers are more powerfull (mW) and easier to see.

Another thing to consider though. Green laser beams are more visible through the air, possibly allowing a BG to track back to your location. In most cases you would already be facing them down though, so might or might not be a concern for you.
    Walk softly ...

Well, i think may go with the Red afterall due to price. I dont know if i can justify paying double for the green when its only going to be a HD gun. I am not a tactical LEO or military needing the best so to speak.

1*

NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I think a good summary of all that is: bottom line, green lasers are more powerfull (mW) and easier to see.
    Not quite... They ARE more visible to the eye! They are not really more powerful, a 1 mW laser emits that level power no matter what color it is, and that is how lasers are classed. But a green beam will seem a lot brighter than a red beam of the same power.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Not quite... They ARE more visible to the eye! They are not really more powerful, a 1 mW laser emits that level power no matter what color it is, and that is how lasers are classed. But a green beam will seem a lot brighter than a red beam of the same power.
    Fair enough, you are correct. I guess just for me then, every green laser I have seen personally has been a higher power rating than the red lasers I have seen. A class 3 laser is still a class 3 laser.
    Walk softly ...

Great info, thanks! I didn't know much of anything about lasers before reading this thread. The education is apreciated!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Fair enough, you are correct. I guess just for me then, every green laser I have seen personally has been a higher power rating than the red lasers I have seen. A class 3 laser is still a class 3 laser.
    Most laser pointers, and laser sights are classed as Class 3a. Once you get to Classes 3b and 4 things start to get nasty with paperwork and required protection (Not to mention cost). I've see Class 1 & 2 lasers in the red frequency, and you really have to search for the "dot".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sponsored Links