Changing direction for the BOB

This is a discussion on Changing direction for the BOB within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I posted a thread a few eeks ago about me builidng a BUG. My idea was a light go-fast reactionary bag. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...bob-users.html I think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing direction for the BOB

Ok I posted a thread a few eeks ago about me builidng a BUG. My idea was a light go-fast reactionary bag.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...bob-users.html

I think I need to go with a little bit more in depth bag. I have been looking at backpack style bags like the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon, and the Blackhawk raptor series. The Black hawk seems a little more expensive, but is very nice. Anybody have any real experience with these or other heavy duty back pack style BOBs. Suggestions towards these or any other comparable pack would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jwhite75; January 9th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    I already have one of these for a range bag and they are excellent. I am looking for something to keep in my vehicle, in a back pack style, to put in a blanket(s), first aid kit, water, food, rope, knife, extra ammo, flashlight, etc. Lots of rural roads, wilderness, etc, in my area, and I need something to hold lots, but be mobile and packable if I need to go mobile on foot. after a break down.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ive got a Magellan backpack that i bought at Academy several years ago that I use for that kind of stuff. I have taken the bag to China with me, and it help up to some extreme hikes. It was pretty cheap if i remember. Its probably one of the toughest bags that Ive bought. It has 2 big compartments and one smaller one with several zippers in it to secure smaller things.

RMS
    I have a Rush 72 Pack from 5:11 Tactical. I can pack far more in that bag than I care to carry. Even after I had the pack for a couple of weeks I was still finding pockets.

That also is a very nice looking pack. Has anybody used the 3 day pack from La Police Gear...looks to be very nice for the price.

Once you load up you bag try carrying it for a mile or so.

Very good advice,,,as I am packing it with the possibility of needing to hump out of nowhere, in my very rural county I work in, and live in.

A good place to get them from with decent pricing and free ship on orders over $125.

Tactical Backpacks

You might be able to find a slightly better price elsewhere, but you then have to factor in the shipping cost. Once I decide on what I'm getting I'm just going to make sure I spend at least $125, so I get the free shipping.

Right now I'm leaning between the 511 24 rush / 72 rush and maxpedition condor II / vulture II.

Check out the SoTech Mission Pack. My favorite.

Wow that Mission Pack is nice...but I am a lowly public servant, I cant put 6 bills in a pack. thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Once you load up you bag try carrying it for a mile or so.
    What he said.

There's more on that subject in this article from a survivalblog contributor here: (I have no clue who could have written this! )

SurvivalBlog.com
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Ok so I think I have found my bag to start with....look sto be a very nice bag for the price.

BUGOUT GEAR Bugout Bag

Has high reviews, and seems well built, and is definitely big enough.

My experience with the Bug-Out Gear brand is that the buckles are not as sturdy as one might hope for the price. They're good for weekend excursions, but I wouldn't buy one for any sort of long-term use or combat operation.

I'd recommend going with Spec-Ops brand if you like the designs. They have a lot of similar styles and it's worth the extra money to not have a clip/buckle break under load. Check out the Spec-Ops T.H.E. Pack.
    Online they're pretty high, but if you're in the military or have a friend on a base, you can get them through AAFES for a good discount and the PX will order it in for them/you.
    And it's hard to go wrong with Camelbak. I have a couple of them in various sizes that have all served me well under heavy use. For a "go-every" pack, I use a M.U.L.E. that holds a bare-minimum kit & 3L of water.
    But honestly, I almost wish I'd gone with the slightly larger HAVOC.

I also have a Code Alpha 3-day expandable pack that's pretty sturdy. Code Alpha packs were originally developed for and used by the Navy Seals. Retail on them most places is around $115, but if you shop around you can get them for under $70.

The best thing will be to try it on and test it out. Look for buckles that look like you could jump up and down on them and straps/stitching that you could lead a horse with. Good luck!
    Last edited by HardCorps79; January 12th, 2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: improved link
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

I like the Code Alpha bag..but I think I want something solid colored, and not black. Picky I know but might as well get what I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links