Help me pick my first real EDC flashlight

This is a discussion on Help me pick my first real EDC flashlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a cheap LED light I purchased at home depot for less than $10. It is ok at best. I don't really know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my first real EDC flashlight

Help me pick my first real EDC flashlight

I currently carry a cheap LED light I purchased at home depot for less than $10. It is ok at best. I don't really know how much better a $150 flashlight would be compared to say a $60 one. I want to stay around $60 or below. I see amazon has a few Fenix flashlights for reasonable prices.

Here are my requirements (hopefully they fit into my $60 budget):
    1) Uses AA or AA batteries and no more than 2 of either. Preferrably just 1
    2) At least two brightness settings
    3) Strobe if possible
    4) Comes with Clip
    5)Compact enough for EDC

2. Remove Ads

I have been researching and like the Fenix L2D. I also like the Surefire, G2 G2L and 6P All should be well within your budget.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I bought a Fenix LD20 online about 2 weeks ago. It takes two AA batteries. I liked it so well I ordered a LD10 w/charger & 4 rechargeable AA batteries. The LD10 is about 3" long & uses just 1 AA battery. Both lights came with a belt pouch & lanyard. Both lights have the strobe function, several power settings, pocket clips. I'm satisfied. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by scgunlover1; January 18th, 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Additional information
    SCGunLover1

Surefire G2. $40 for the halogen or $70 for the LED.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    Surefire G2. $40 for the halogen or $70 for the LED.
    Pay the extra for the LED, you'll be very happy with the results.

I paid $20 for just the LED bulb for my long-neck mag light...BIG difference!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Surefire is a great option

I don't think the G2 has the strobe feature however.

Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post
    I don't think the G2 has the strobe feature however.
    No, just momentary on or constant on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Fenix LD10. Great little light, single AA battery and I got mine for under $60 shipped.

Nitecore d10 as opposed to Fenix brand. Fenix rates their lumens at the emitter, where nitecore rates from the actual flashlight. Check out 4Sevens.com

You're probably going to see a good little jump in price for a solid light with a strobe feature. I've used a number of lights and can offer opinions:
    -Surefire G2 Nitrolon. Not a bad light. For around $35, really hard to beat. Completely durable and reliable. Probably one of the most powerful at this price point. Downside: no lock-out, and expensive batteries. Bad combination. I believe they now offer it with the lock-out. Double check. If so, this would be a great light. Sadly, I lost it during combat operations.

-Pelican M6 LED. This was issued to me in Iraq. Solid case and a lock-out tailcap. Water resistant and held up to abuse. Uses the same batts as the Surefire, but with longer life. Not as bright as the G2, but better than a Maglite. The circuitry held up under extreme shock, but a plastic grommet in the tail-cap switch shattered under a forcible impact (similar to throwing it against the wall hard). Pelican has a lifetime warranty and will send you an RA# to mail your light in for repair. I've kept mine in a footlocker for sentimental reasons, but have had thoughts of sending it in to get it fixed as it amazingly still works, just without the click on feature.
    -Maglite. I would wholeheartedly endorse them. They are virtually indestructible. YMMV, of course. But I've seen them run over by 7-ton tactical vehicles, hit with IEDs and used as hammers. Availability of cheap standard size batteries adds to their value. In having owned countless of these (I probably have 10 of them around the house right now), I've only had one issue and that was with a first-run LED. The circuits weren't very shock-resistant and it's got a short. Newer versions appear to have fixed this.
    -Fenix. I haven't owned one, but I have yet to hear or read a negative review. Of course, you're going to pay quite a bit more for them vs. a MagLite. And you can get the handy-dandy strobe feature which will be great for dazzling nuisance pigeons & raccoons, as well as providing in-car disco lighting for those annoying techno beats behind radio ads. I do actually fully intend to buy one for my next light, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Good luck and be safe.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

4-Sevens is a good site, also try Battery Junction and Going Gear. I've ordered lights from them and gotten good service. The Surefires are certainly bomb-proof but no strobe/SOS modes. I have a Fenix and really like it. It takes the CR123 battery and is very bright. Some don't like the CR batteries as they are more expensive. Fenix makes great lights using the AAA or AA batteries also. Other brands to check out include ITP, Olight and NiteCore... have fun!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Thank you everyone for your help. I will check out the suggested websites and the Pelican, ITP, Olight and NiteCore flashlights also.

Are CR123 batteries a lot better than AAA or AA. It seems to me that CR123 batteries are capable of the brightest lights, followed by AA and then AAA (depends on the number of batteries also).

Is it worth getting one that uses CR123 batteries for the extra output? They are not that expensive if I can recall. I see amazon has 12 surefire 123 batteries for $21. I also see you can get 1 or 2 packs at the local store for less than $10.

VIP Member
    The CR123s have a higher nominal voltage than the AA, giving them a higher output than a AA. The AA is less expensive and much easier to find if you are in a pinch and need a battery.

VIP Member
    I'd recommend the Fenix PD-30!
    Not AAA or AA batteries but 123's are really good! They have a 10 year shelf life so get a box and don't worry about "hard to find", they're not.

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Performa.../dp/B001H4MWA4

Last edited by Thumper; January 19th, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    get one with a strobe feature....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links