Defensive Carry banner

Help me pick my first real EDC flashlight

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  joepa150 
#1 ·
I currently carry a cheap LED light I purchased at home depot for less than $10. It is ok at best. I don't really know how much better a $150 flashlight would be compared to say a $60 one. I want to stay around $60 or below. I see amazon has a few Fenix flashlights for reasonable prices.

Here are my requirements (hopefully they fit into my $60 budget):
1) Uses AA or AA batteries and no more than 2 of either. Preferrably just 1
2) At least two brightness settings
3) Strobe if possible
4) Comes with Clip
5)Compact enough for EDC

#2 ·
I have been researching and like the Fenix L2D. I also like the Surefire, G2 G2L and 6P All should be well within your budget.

#3 · (Edited)
I bought a Fenix LD20 online about 2 weeks ago. It takes two AA batteries. I liked it so well I ordered a LD10 w/charger & 4 rechargeable AA batteries. The LD10 is about 3" long & uses just 1 AA battery. Both lights came with a belt pouch & lanyard. Both lights have the strobe function, several power settings, pocket clips. I'm satisfied. I hope this helps.

#5 ·
Pay the extra for the LED, you'll be very happy with the results.:yup:

I paid $20 for just the LED bulb for my long-neck mag light...BIG difference!:yup:

#10 ·
You're probably going to see a good little jump in price for a solid light with a strobe feature. I've used a number of lights and can offer opinions:
-Surefire G2 Nitrolon. Not a bad light. For around $35, really hard to beat. Completely durable and reliable. Probably one of the most powerful at this price point. Downside: no lock-out, and expensive batteries. Bad combination. I believe they now offer it with the lock-out. Double check. If so, this would be a great light. Sadly, I lost it during combat operations.

-Pelican M6 LED. This was issued to me in Iraq. Solid case and a lock-out tailcap. Water resistant and held up to abuse. Uses the same batts as the Surefire, but with longer life. Not as bright as the G2, but better than a Maglite. The circuitry held up under extreme shock, but a plastic grommet in the tail-cap switch shattered under a forcible impact (similar to throwing it against the wall hard). Pelican has a lifetime warranty and will send you an RA# to mail your light in for repair. I've kept mine in a footlocker for sentimental reasons, but have had thoughts of sending it in to get it fixed as it amazingly still works, just without the click on feature.
-Maglite. I would wholeheartedly endorse them. They are virtually indestructible. YMMV, of course. But I've seen them run over by 7-ton tactical vehicles, hit with IEDs and used as hammers. Availability of cheap standard size batteries adds to their value. In having owned countless of these (I probably have 10 of them around the house right now), I've only had one issue and that was with a first-run LED. The circuits weren't very shock-resistant and it's got a short. Newer versions appear to have fixed this.
-Fenix. I haven't owned one, but I have yet to hear or read a negative review. Of course, you're going to pay quite a bit more for them vs. a MagLite. And you can get the handy-dandy strobe feature which will be great for dazzling nuisance pigeons & raccoons, as well as providing in-car disco lighting for those annoying techno beats behind radio ads. I do actually fully intend to buy one for my next light, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Good luck and be safe.

#11 ·
4-Sevens is a good site, also try Battery Junction and Going Gear. I've ordered lights from them and gotten good service. The Surefires are certainly bomb-proof but no strobe/SOS modes. I have a Fenix and really like it. It takes the CR123 battery and is very bright. Some don't like the CR batteries as they are more expensive. Fenix makes great lights using the AAA or AA batteries also. Other brands to check out include ITP, Olight and NiteCore... have fun!!

#12 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. I will check out the suggested websites and the Pelican, ITP, Olight and NiteCore flashlights also.

Are CR123 batteries a lot better than AAA or AA. It seems to me that CR123 batteries are capable of the brightest lights, followed by AA and then AAA (depends on the number of batteries also).

Is it worth getting one that uses CR123 batteries for the extra output? They are not that expensive if I can recall. I see amazon has 12 surefire 123 batteries for $21. I also see you can get 1 or 2 packs at the local store for less than $10.

#14 · (Edited)
#16 ·
#19 ·
#20 ·
D10 and D10SP

I have both of them and they are excellent flashlights. The D10 does not have a strobe feature, and the D10SP does. I don't see the need for the strobe feature but that is just me. I paid for the D10, and got the D10SP for FREE from Nitecore!:image035:The older D10 now belongs to my wife.

#26 ·
Nitecore D10 SP...i got one for Christmas and LOVE it. 1 AA battery and it runs like a champ...only downfall...$8 bucks for a clip for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.