Votes: 6 35.3%
  • XP-G R5 using AA batteries

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • XP-G R5 using CR123 batteries

Votes: 9 52.9%

POLL: Flashlight Options

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Jackle1886 
#1 ·
I can't decide on whether to get a flashlight that uses CR123 batteries or AA batteries. I can get 2 CR123 batteries for less than $10. The flashlights I am looking at are brighter if I go with the CR123 option vs the AA option. I just don't know if CR123 batteries are here to stay.

Also I don't know if I should get the XP-E R2 emitter LED or the XP-G R5 emitter. Supposedly the XP-G R5 is brighter and "floodier" than the XP-E R2.

Also I can get the XP-E R2 flashlights for $10 cheaper.

#4 ·
CR123 is very standard. Surefire has been using them for at least a decade, and many other tactical weapon lights use them as well. They aren't going away, and they are definitely worth the extra brightness. As for cost you won't use it that much anyway especially on a weapon light (or even really a tactical light) so I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone should have like 6 Surefires in their house anyway, they are so handy for so many things I have them in both cars and scattered around the house. I use them all the time to quickly look behind the computer or stereo to find a wire or down a barrel to be sure its clean and I maybe buy a box of batteries every couple of years. Not to mention the tiny thing is like a floodlight almost if you need to take a quick peek outdoors...but I digress.

CR123 - yes.

#6 ·
I have lights using the XR-E, seoul P4, and XP-E. They are all more than capable of performing as an EDC/tactical light. The biggest thing holding you back in terms of light performance isn't going to be the specific LED in your light - it is the quality and design of the reflector or optic shaping the light output. The R2 and R5 are nothing more than efficiency bins, a way of a manufacturer to sort various LEDs to meet different requirements.

I said go with the XP-G R5, because it is the most efficient LED you listed.

What particular lights are you looking at where you have these options? Sounds to me like the 4Sevens Quarks - in which case I'd definitely go with the XP-G if you want maxiumum output. I'd also strongly recommend the two cell CR123 model over the 2AA or single cell lights - they are great for EDC and emergency purposes but you will get the most performance out of the 6v lithium light.

#7 ·
Yes they are the Quarks. They still have a few R2 left and they are maybe $10 cheaper. I am leaning toward the CR123 models but I noticed that the AA models are also very popular which seems weird since the Cr123 seems like the obvious choice??

Also I can't help but want to consider the Quark Minis. They seem to be the most talked about Quarks on candlepowerforum.com. I like the fact that they are really small but they might be too small.

#8 ·
It depends on its intended use. I would assume we're talking defensive carry as a tactical light to pair with your pistol. In this case I'd go with the R5 and the Cr123. It's more efficient and brighter. 123s are common enough for their intended purpose.

If you're looking for something to throw in your bug-out bag, or for regular daily use, go with the AA. The batteries will be more readily available and cheaper. But honestly, for a survival tool or daily utilitarian use, I'd stick with a MagLite.

#10 ·
A dozen pack (CR123) should be around $20...10 year shelf life. I bought about 4 packs back when they were around $12...pre-Obama.:wave:

My SureFire loves 'em...:yup:

I prefer the CR123 over the AA.OMO

#11 ·
I would also chose cr123 over AA or AAA, much brighter. The Fenix TK 10 is a great tactical torch with 225 lumens on turbo and 60 on general mode, bright enough for any task. And they cost around $66.00. If you want one with more settings like low,mid,high and strobe look at Jetbeam M III or the Raptor series, very well made torches. I'm sure you'll find one to suit your needs.

#14 · (Edited)
Stay away from most stores when shopping for 123s. You can find much better deals online. Some shops carry them too. My local shop sells Streamlight 123s for $1.69 each.

For an SD light, I prefer more of a flood than a narrow beam. I want the room, doorway, alley or whatever, lit up. Not just a small piece of it.

#17 ·
CR123's last forever, well practically. I bought a Fenix PD30 back in June. It gets used on average at least once a day, if not more. Here we are in Feb. and I'm still on the SAME SET of batteries. Granted it's use per day is probably just a minute or two, but wow! GO with the 123's, you won't be disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.